Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm surprised more parachute payment teams don't do this. Following relegation you could rent an entire team of Matej Vydra's without impacting on your cashflow.

This sort of deal blows us out of the water because with the £2m fee, agents costs, player wages and employer's NI the hit on the Profit & Loss for the year is probably around the £5million mark. Even if we signed a 3 year deal for a £4million player on £30K a week the P&L impact would only be £3 million per year.

This is a total gamble by Reading, pure and simple.

Have I missed something, apart from the years grace when they were in the Prem, why wouldn't those costs impact on their cashflow?

albionite

May 20, 2009
With Hector leaving (unless he comes back on loan), the only recognised CBs on their books are Paul McShane, Anton Ferdinand and some 20 year old with a handful of appearances. Throw two dodgy 'keepers into the mix and they're not looking particularly strong in defence.

Reading have loaned hector back

2.5 million loan fee is crazy! Unless there's some clause that gives Reading some or all of the money bacjk at the end of the loan that is just riduclous even by football standards. If you buy a player for 2.5 million he still has a value, you can sell him when you don't need or want hiom any more. But not with a loan fee.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Have I missed something, apart from the years grace when they were in the Prem, why wouldn't those costs impact on their cashflow?

Because you get £24 million in year one of the championship following relegation from the Prem. That's £24 million we don't have to spend. I know the parachute payments were designed to cover player contractual wages but, in practice, the relegated side has to sell their best players anyway so they already have monies in to cover the wages. When Fulham spent £11 million on Ross McCormack they were taking the piss, just like Blackburn took the piss by signing Jordan Rhodes for £8 million, and Reading are taking the piss by signing this Vydra deal.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

I think I am agreeing with you because the parachute payments are absolutely disgraceful as these funds, in themselves, amount to more than any (non parachuted) club can possibly afford OR, are more than Championship clubs can 'afford' to lose within FFP The original reason for the parachute payments was, I believe, to help clubs relegated from the Premier League to stay in existence given players inflated wages, AND, in my understanding, was not there to provide them with funds to purchase new players at enormous costs. Bxxxxxxxs !

I suppose I am surprised that a gambler (TB) did take a punt on promotion as that 'punt' would have proved to be self financing - perhaps I have got it very wrong ?

If you look at, for example Burnley, they were promoted to PL and spent next to zilch so come back down into Championship with a bucket load of money to spend to get back up to the PL which, of course, they could repeat until they had so much in funds to be able to stay in the PL. I acknowledge that they have not spent hugely but do you see where I am coming from ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because you get £24 million in year one of the championship following relegation from the Prem. That's £24 million we don't have to spend. I know the parachute payments were designed to cover player contractual wages but, in practice, the relegated side has to sell their best players anyway so they already have monies in to cover the wages. When Fulham spent £11 million on Ross McCormack they were taking the piss, just like Blackburn took the piss by signing Jordan Rhodes for £8 million, and Reading are taking the piss by signing this Vydra deal.

But that is not what your post implied. It seemed to me that you were suggesting that the relegated clubs can do loan deals like this to avoid impacting on their cashflow instead of a normal transfer which would. I'm no fan of parachute payments but understand that without relegation clauses written into contracts clubs are more likely to go under and suffer huge losses. Some clubs haven't been managed well and whilst it is frustrating that we don't have the £24m, I doubt that it is sitting around waiting to be allocated to transfer fees, not unless the club have already shipped out their high earners as soon as they were relegated.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon Vydra would have been excellent for us, but at 2.5 million and 25k a week wages, only to lose him for nothing in May is suicidal financing.

'Yes' his goals may win them promotion, but no guarantee that he'll even get 20.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I reckon Vydra would have been excellent for us, but at 2.5 million and 25k a week wages, only to lose him for nothing in May is suicidal financing.

'Yes' his goals may win them promotion, but no guarantee that he'll even get 20.

Reading fans think they have an option to buy at the end of the season.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yep, madness. That's nearly £4 million for one year, with no sell on.

Reading are quite insane to even consider this as a good deal.

:)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But that is not what your post implied. It seemed to me that you were suggesting that the relegated clubs can do loan deals like this to avoid impacting on their cashflow instead of a normal transfer which would. I'm no fan of parachute payments but understand that without relegation clauses written into contracts clubs are more likely to go under and suffer huge losses. Some clubs haven't been managed well and whilst it is frustrating that we don't have the £24m, I doubt that it is sitting around waiting to be allocated to transfer fees, not unless the club have already shipped out their high earners as soon as they were relegated.

There's a misunderstanding here. My original point wasn't specific to Reading, I was simply saying that with £24 million in parachute payments I was surprised that there weren't more relegated clubs renting high quality Championship players like Vydra. You could get 5 in and pay for it with parachute payments.

Because of the money sloshing around in the Prem the hit on wages can easily be covered with the sale of a player or two. Burnley have sold Ings and Trippier, thus covering the burden of the wages from the Prem days without any need for the vastly inflated level of parachute payments we see now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here