Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra: Still sorry we missed out?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This infers to me that he is a player who is very good at getting in positions to score. Unlike Hemed, how many sitters has he missed this season? I can't think of many but he's been struggling to score for ages.

This sort of player, IF he clicks in front of goal, is capable of taking a team up. He just needs to rediscover his goal scoring.

Reminds me of Barnes, I was constantly frustrated by the amount of chances he missed but you had to hand it to him, he was often in the right place to be prolific.

I guess so. I am still hapier with Hemed though for his general work rate and passing etc. Vydra has been getting in positions but doing very little else. Passses go astray, one on ones go straight at the keeper or wide. A lot fof Reading fans I know up here are just totally frustrated with with and wish they hadn't bothered. Orlando Sa had a great start to the season but was then dropped and subsequently let go. yet Vydra hasn't been great at any point (The hattrick in the cup had massive elements of luck with balls bouncing off him) yet is started every game

He hasn't had a great season for a while now

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This infers to me that he is a player who is very good at getting in positions to score. Unlike Hemed, how many sitters has he missed this season? I can't think of many but he's been struggling to score for ages.
Getting in good positions and missing (but showing potential to get more) vs not getting in the position as often... well it's not easy to compare without more information, but I'll say this:
Hemed also works hard for the team to create chances etc
Hemed has scored 7 against Vydra's 2.
Vydra cost £2m just for the loan fee.

And it's that last point that matters the most. Sure Vydra should be better than Hemed, but he was too expensive.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Sorry if this a stupid question, bur are Reading paying wages on top of the loan fee?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
??? My pleasure Mr Orangutan.
I think ultimately it boils down to: Reading wanted Vydra, didn't want others to have him
I don't think they needed to worry about anyone else having him, no one else wanted him at the price, he'd have stayed with Watford.
the only way to get him was to pay a one-year loan for 2m. was it worth it? NO. Would it have been worth it if he'd scored the goals he did last year for watford? YES
16 goals - mmm, maybe worth the £2m plus loan, but I'm not sure. Certainly worth it if he got them promoted. At the start of the season, most of us thought a £2m fee was too much though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
??? My pleasure Mr Orangutan.
I don't think they needed to worry about anyone else having him, no one else wanted him at the price, he'd have stayed with Watford.
16 goals - mmm, maybe worth the £2m plus loan, but I'm not sure. Certainly worth it if he got them promoted. At the start of the season, most of us thought a £2m fee was too much though.

Mr Orang, please.

Would be interesting to know how much 16 goals does cost in the British market? This is something that American sports does well, working out how many extra wins (or losses) each player provides the team compared to a bog-average player, and how much each win costs in the open market.

But i imagine that the spread would be too large to be useful, ranging from cheap as chips foreign player,s like Ulloa to stupidly expensive premier league players, like Zaha. Plus, transfer fees don't exist in the states, just salaries.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know that I am in the minority but I was never a big fan of Vydra

I don't think I have been vindicated by his lack of goals because I have only seen 2 Reading games this season; however, I don't see Hemed as a massive failure. I think he puts in a lot of work during matches and makes the opposition work quite hard. I also still think he has the potential to come good and score more goals in the 2nd half of the season but time will tell on that one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know that I am in the minority but I was never a big fan of Vydra

I don't think I have been vindicated by his lack of goals because I have only seen 2 Reading games this season; however, I don't see Hemed as a massive failure. I think he puts in a lot of work during matches and makes the opposition work quite hard. I also still think he has the potential to come good and score more goals in the 2nd half of the season but time will tell on that one.

oOOOOPS - MAYBE HE HEARD ME

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here