Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
OK I'll start...

Roberts 7 - Made some vital saves
Virgo - 6 Solid enough just not too hot going forward
Cullip - 7 - Dominant in tackle and in the air
Butters - 7 -Ditto
Harding - 7.5 - Very impressive performance, good vision.
Chippy - 6.5 - Great goal, but bogged down in midfield
Oatway - 6.5 - Effort as always but we need craft
Jones - 5 - No impact on the flank - why no Piercy?
Hart - 5 - Ditto and embaressing air shot in 2nd half
Knight - 5 - Looks under par and need bringing down to earth
Benji - 6 - Average but got better as the game went on.

Subs

Robinson - 7 - Shame he couldn't have scored when he broke away at the end but he IS the future and showed great work rate and courage

Mayo - 6 - Little impact

Brentford looked a good side I thought for their league position and were unlucky not to have got something out of the game.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Only disagreement is

Jones 4 - apart from setting up the goal, a total liability.
Knight 3 - did nothing at all, made no attempt
Benjamin 8 - Ran his socks off, won headers, harried the defenders constantly
Mayo 4 - Added nothing. Being a brighton fan does not excuse crap performances.

We need some proper wingers!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Roberts - 8 - solid handling, although no major saves to make, quick throws set up a number of counter-attacks

Harding - 8 - assured, comfortable, solid defensively, another excellent performance
Butters - 7 - won everything in air, used ball well
Cullip - 7 - usual strong performance
Virgo - 6 - excellent defensively, won every aerial challenge, but distribution was shocking, needs to improve

Jones - 6 - frustrating, alternated between quality build up play and awful delivery. Inconsistentcy let down some of the more positive aspects, but set up the goal
Oatway - 7 - combative as usual, if a little quiet. Competent game
Carpenter - *8.5* - excellent in midfield, strong in the tackle, quality passing, great goal
Hart - 7 - unlucky not to score, put in some good runs, but a few disappointing crosses

Benjamin - 7 - struggled often, but improved signficantly when Robinson came on
Knight - 6 - as Harty said, 'I can't fathom him'. Usual high quality approach play, but just lacked any real edge in front of goal, a reluctance to shoot. Most concerning

SUBS

Robinson - 7 - lively, hard-working, made things happen. Unlucky not to score, but looked full of confidence
Mayo - 6 - did nothing majorly wrong, little chance to make impact

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Roberts 6
Virgo 7
Harding 7
Cullip 7
Butters 7
Hart 7
Jones 5
Carpenter 7
Oatway 6
Knight 6
Benjamin 8

Robinson 7
Mayo 5

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Trigger why is it Roberts got a 6 form you ?
Clean sheet and did nothing wrong, yet you score the rest of the back four 7 and Roberts 6..........

If he saved 3 penalties and scores the winning goal would you score Roberts any higher........

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Blame the back four for that Marshy, Roberts had absolutely feck all to do apart from a couple of basic saves.

Have a look through the old threads, i'm sure you'll see me give Kuipers 6's when he has feck all to do...

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Roberts 7
Virgo 6
Butters 6
Cullip 7
Harding 7
Oatway 7
Chippy 7
Jones 5
Hart 6
Knight 5
Benji 6

Subs

Robinson 8 ; Mayo 6

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I thought Hart had one of his best games for ages! He hit the bar and was dropping his man easily on the flank! Good to see some of his electric pace returning!

Benjamin was clearly in no mood to take any crap! He was the sort of player Hesky wishes he was last night! At times he had three Brentford players kicking lumps out of him and they still couldn't get the ball off him!

I thought Knight was slated unfairly last night. He is the divisions top scorer and everytime he got the ball he had three defenders on him. I thought it was good defending from Brentford to remove him from the game and poor tactical awareness from McGhee! If you have a striker that can draw three defenders it is bound to leave huge holes in their defence. I thought we failed to capitilise on this! I would have taken Jones off (Sorry McGhee but he was crap all game!) and tried Robinson on the left. Knight could draw defenders out to the right leaving Robinson and Benjamin in the middle.

I'm a little confused by some of McGhees comments and damnb right worried by some others! He seems to think that strikers run the entire game?!?!?! This is not the case. A good team dominates in midfield. Strikers are there to just put the ball in the back off the net and hold the ball up. If the midfield failed to deliever a single ball to the strikers then McGhee would come on air and slate the strikers for not coming into midfield to pick the ball up themsleves, take on 5 men and score!! cRaZy!?!?

I thought Harding played a very mature role and I really enjoyed the way that he nearly always attempted to play his way out of defence and releasing the ball to midfield rather than just hoof it, ala Cullip and Butters. Again, if Knight is to have a decent game he needs to ball to FEET!

Virgo, Cullip and Butters aquitted themselves ok. Another clean sheet. Can't ask for more. Although there were a few shakey moments.

It took about 40mins for me to realise that he was playing?!?!

Chippy, was OK and good to see him getting back on the score sheet where he belongs. Does need to find more balls through the middle for Knight to run onto rather than keep looking to the wings.

I think at the end of the day it was always going to be a bit of a scrap and we always seem to struggle in those. I would say we ground out the result last night but we'll need to raise our game somewhat to stay in the play-offs.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Roberts 7 - not much to do apart from a decent save in the 1st half and a couple others
Virgo 7 - thought he done alright, looked competant but distribution is poor
Butters 7 - Solid
Cullip 7 - Solid
Harding 8 - About the same as Virgo but better passing and movement
Oatway 7 - Battled, 'nuff said!
Chippy 7 - Goal was cleanly struck but did'nt seem to get in the game at all
Jones 4 - useless! pass to Chippy the ONLY thing he done all night
Hart 6 - Could've been a different game if his shot that hit the bar went in, but other than that he's just missing pace I think
Knight 4 - useless! did'nt try, sulked when he went off, looked like a lost boy on the front of the program! Needs a kick up the arse!
Benji 7 - Not great but had moments of class and harrased the defence abit

Subs

Robinson 7 - Tried his heart out, good run down the right, should've hit the target at least at the death. Promising!
Mayo 4 - Carried on where Jones left off...useless!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Trigger a clean sheet still deserves a 7 though.
After all that is the whole point of his game.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Marshy said:

hard to call that, he could've stood there all night and not touched the ball, would that be worth a 7? not in my book! Was a 7 last night though.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Roberts 8
Virgo 6
Harding 7
Cullip 7
Butters 7
Hart 7
Jones 5
Carpenter 7
Oatway 6
Knight 6
Benjamin 6

Robinson 7
Mayo 5

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Roberts 7
Virgo 6
Harding 8
Cullip 6
Butters 6
Hart 6
Jones 4
Carpenter 8
Oatway 7
Knight 6
Benjamin 8

Robinson 7
Mayo 6

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Marshy said:

Rubbish

What if Roberts had given away 5 penalties from which they all missed the target and so still kept a clean sheet. Would he still deserve a 7?

I'm of the personal opinion that every player starts with a 5 - Add marks for things they do well, subtract for anything bad. If Roberts literally had nothing to do his game score is potentially as low as 5.

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hannibal smith said:
Rubbish

What if Roberts had given away 5 penalties from which they all missed the target and so still kept a clean sheet. Would he still deserve a 7?

I'm of the personal opinion that every player starts with a 5 - Add marks for things they do well, subtract for anything bad. If Roberts literally had nothing to do his game score is potentially as low as 5.

I don't want to sound pedantic but - most Keepers would have been sent off by the time they'd given away 2 penalties.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A keeper that keeps a clean sheet and does feck all is the same as a striker that does feck all and scores in my opinion.

And both would be worth a 7.

:)

Last edited:

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I thought Virgo's distribution was superb at times. Especially for the 70 odd yard free kicks he took...just a shame they were both aimed at Jones and he bottled both of them.

Roberts 7
Virgo 8
Cullip 7
Butters 7
Harding 8
Hart 8
Carpenter 7
Oatway 7
Jones 5
Knight 4
Benjamin 8

Robinson 7