Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match ratings Middlesbrough

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Interested to know what made Casper our worst player on the pitch today according to your scoring?

Apologies, I noticed that a while afterwards and it was unintentional. He didn't have an awful lot to do and 7 is my standard mark for a keeper when they're not that troubled. Put him up to a 7.5 or an 8 if you like, he probably deserved it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think people have been impressed with Greer since he got back in the team, and I think it has a lot to do with playing next to Matt Upson. He has made the heart of defense that much stronger.

Agreed plus the fact that we have competition for places. Greer and Upson both know that they have Adam breathing down their necks.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think people have been impressed with Greer since he got back in the team, and I think it has a lot to do with playing next to Matt Upson. He has made the heart of defense that much stronger.

I love Adam's committment but with GG and Upson together the defence is notably less frenetic.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ignoring his debut, we have conceded 8 goals in the last 13 games since signing Upson.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
No it wasn't. Colin Hawkins vs Hartlepool in the FA Cup was "absolutely appalling". Greer at Palace was nowhere near that derogatory term. Yes, he gave away a daft penalty but we played the whole game with 10 men and only conceded from a corner and two penalties...

Glenn Murray completely bossed him. Couldn't win a thing in the air. Murray could have had five. It was shocking. Thankfully he has rediscovered some form. He was terrific last season and is playing brillliantly again now but I'm sure GG himself would admit that he went through three or four months to forget.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Glenn Murray completely bossed him. Couldn't win a thing in the air. Murray could have had five. It was shocking. Thankfully he has rediscovered some form. He was terrific last season and is playing brillliantly again now but I'm sure GG himself would admit that he went through three or four months to forget.

But our defensive record, all season, has been pretty damn good. Gordon's not great in the air, I agree Murray bossed him on the day but Kuszczak didn't really have much to do as I recall. Maybe I'm repressing some of the game, but all I really remember from the game is the Dunk red, the goals, and the fact that we decided Bolasie was amazing on the basis he's a cracking dancer but didn't threaten to create a goal, or score one.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I love Adam's committment but with GG and Upson together the defence is notably less frenetic.

I'd go with that and the other thing about Greer is he doesn't have me panicking at every corner or as the oppo come through the centre. I think our CB's get a much easier ride overall as a result of Bridcutt being in front of them but when called on I've got a lot of confidence in GG. He's not great in the air but the arrival of Upson and Ulloa makes it feel like we are much less vulnerable at set pieces.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
No it wasn't. Colin Hawkins vs Hartlepool in the FA Cup was "absolutely appalling". Greer at Palace was nowhere near that derogatory term. Yes, he gave away a daft penalty but we played the whole game with 10 men and only conceded from a corner and two penalties...

Always enjoy it when Colin Hawkins gets a mention on here. It puts everything in perspective and really makes me grateful for where we are at the moment.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Great to hear there was chanting in support of Casper. Did he acknowledge the chant/the fans?

Applauded fans at the end, albeit from a distance. Got the impression that he kept his head down (in a good way) during the game rather than wave and acknowledge because he just wanted to get the clean sheet and exorcise a few demons. Must have felt good to hear fans singing his name though. As I said earlier, having not been to a game for a while, I thought our support was absolutely outstanding throughout.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
One more rating.

Gus Poyet 9 - His half time team-talk made all the difference. Orlandi, Bridge & Crofts on the left plus Lopez, Calde & Hammond on the right played much further forward with Bridcutt in support. That didn't happen by accident!

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
One more rating.

Gus Poyet 9 - His half time team-talk made all the difference. Orlandi, Bridge & Crofts on the left plus Lopez, Calde & Hammond on the right played much further forward with Bridcutt in support. That didn't happen by accident!

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
MOM definately Greer. All of the back four were solid but he stood out. The whole team were set up well we had really good shape throughout the game. We clearly missed the speed of our wide men in the first half but Gus sorted it. The tempo picked up and once we scored any confidence Boro had quickly ebbed away. Ulloa was immense and worked his socks off. Spanish Dave's goal was beautiful and his celebration

After watching the Football League Show I'd like to know what game Mowbray was watching? He felt Boro were in control of the game until we scored. Desperate man clutching at straws maybe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great to hear there was chanting in support of Casper. Did he acknowledge the chant/the fans?

Big fist pump on the final whistle - you could see how much the clean sheet meant to him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average player ratings

Greer 8.50
Bridcutt 8.33
Ulloa 8.33
Bridge 7.67
Calderon 7.67
David Lopez 7.67 (88mins)
Hammond 7.67