Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match or Shoot?

Which football magaizine did you read when you were a kid?

• Match

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Shoot

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Both

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Neither, I read my sister's 'Sugar' instead

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
That thread about stuff that reminds you of being kid made me think of the football magazine I used to get. I read Match magazine but some of my mates read Shoot. Which one did you read?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Shoot, it was always shoot. Start the season with free league ladders and the latest Panini album. They'd even throw in your first few stickers. You couldn't argue with that. It was also my first experience of being fooled on April 1st as I was reading out to my mum the story about the new £2m sensation, Freddie Blanket. My mum was quite dismissive, and I felt rather foolish.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
I always lost a few of the little team tabs (or whatever they were called) you put in the league ladder by September though rendering it useless!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Shoot every time. Match was for kids. :lol: Speaking of the league ladders, did anyone keep them updated all season? I'd get bored after a couple of weeks and would only do the top three of the first division.

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
Match, wasn't it annoying though how it always seemed to be at least 2 weeks out of date with news and results.

The best ever feature in Match was splitting image where they cut squad photos in half and duplicated the left side on the right to make all manner of freakish footballers.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
the full harris said:
I always lost a few of the little team tabs (or whatever they were called) you put in the league ladder by September though rendering it useless!

I used to hang it over my bed. Updated it for a few weeks then couldnt be bothered. Found loads of the tabs under my bed years later!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
match , now i just get fourfourtwo

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I knew i had them somewhere!!! I've just found some old Team Tabs from when Maidstone & Aldershot were around in league football.

:lolol:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Got them both but preferred Match - so proud to have a letter published in it once (outraged about Paris St Germain offering a paltry sum for Glenn Hoddle), though sadly missed out on the "Letter of the week" prize of a pair of Gola football boots. . . Still find it hard to deal with the trauma now. . .

Also got Roy Of The Rovers and the short-lived Gary Lineker's Hotshot for a while.

And then, when I grew up a bit, 90 Minutes which was excellent though got a bit up its own arse towards the end.
Did some work experience on it for two weeks after my GCSEs, great fun. Shared offices with Shoot, Soccer Stars (for ver kids) and World Soccer. Happy days.

Still much more fun than FourFourTwo, the Mojo of football mags...

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Uncle Buck said:
Too right, 90 Minutes was quality. On the predicition league they used to have that Palace twat that always said we would lose by at least 5 goals :angry:

Still these days it is When Saturday Comes for football reading.

That Cr***a* P***** twats name was Dan Goldstein and he went on to be editor of the mag.

His predecessor was Paul Hawksbee who co-presents the Hawksbee & Jacobs show on Talk Sport.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Match.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
When I were a lad, Match didn't exist, so it was Shoot. There also used to be another magazine called Goal, I think, at that time.

And as for League Ladders, getting them was the sign that the season was starting. I updated the whole lot all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here