Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] match officials for Palace

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It always amazes me how you know the refs back story with the Albion.

Atkinson had a really bad weekend break in Brighton back in 1991 where it rained, fish and chips were rubbish, and he didn't time the weekend with his partners moon cycle. Much of that isn't Albion's fault, although his stay was in The Royal Albion Hotel, and he has never forgiven the town, the football club or anything else. Don't expect any decisions coming our way, for Martin didn't get his way in 91.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was the same at Sheffield, and is becoming the norm alas.

Our trusty flag bearer more and more stuttering, looking at the ref for a clue as to which way to raise his/her flag.

MAKE THE BLOODY DECISION.

Down to the referees. The referee can brief their assistants that they will give the throws and the assistant should take the cue from their signal.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
VAR is bound to award Mr Tumble a penalty when the wind blows him over.

That's my concern. He always manages to get just enough 'contact' during the dive.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It could have been anyone and everyone would still say "oh no, he is shit".

Never been a "blame the ref"-guy, they - like goalies and managers - usually get way too much shit.

I dont even really keep track of them (I have a vague memory of not particularly liking this guy though...) But according to statistics, it doesnt look too bad.

Two yellow (and one red..) cards for Brighton in the six games he's refereed us since going up to the Premier League sounds pretty promising.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It could have been anyone and everyone would still say "oh no, he is shit".

Never been a "blame the ref"-guy, they - like goalies and managers - usually get way too much shit.

I dont even really keep track of them (I have a vague memory of not particularly liking this guy though...) But according to statistics, it doesnt look too bad.

Two yellow (and one red..) cards for Brighton in the six games he's refereed us since going up to the Premier League sounds pretty promising.

Hi us eyesight will always be in question for failing to book Sol Bamba who took his shirt off after scoring an ‘offside’ goal and running half the width of the of pitch ..Bamba is hardly a player you couldn’t spot

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hi us eyesight will always be in question for failing to book Sol Bamba who took his shirt off after scoring an ‘offside’ goal and running half the width of the of pitch ..Bamba is hardly a player you couldn’t spot

Agree. That decision was a disgrace, Atkinson is not an official that fills me with any confidence at all, with Kevin Friend backing him up we may be playing more than the 11 men lining up against us.

In fairness I'm sure they are saying the same.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Kiss of death obviously, but Zaha doesn't seem to have been getting more penalties this season compared to last. Maybe it's because he is diving a lot and refs won't commit now without VAR?

As an aside, did anyone listen to the Peter Crouch podcast with young Mr Dean recently. I thought it was fascinating and actually left me quite impressed with him as a ref. Great look behind the curtain too.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Atkinson had a really bad weekend break in Brighton back in 1991 where it rained, fish and chips were rubbish, and he didn't time the weekend with his partners moon cycle. Much of that isn't Albion's fault, although his stay was in The Royal Albion Hotel, and he has never forgiven the town, the football club or anything else. Don't expect any decisions coming our way, for Martin didn't get his way in 91.

Was that the weekend when his partner dumped him, his dog died and someone scraped his car and drove off??

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Kevin Friend gave us a dodgy pen v Palace last season. Don't really get the hate IMHO!

Not sure that balances up all the crap decisions..As an aside he could have sent Zaha off in the same game for hacking down March but bottled it ...he is generally known for favouring the big clubs..obviously not an issue on Saturday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kevin Friend gave us a dodgy pen v Palace last season. Don't really get the hate IMHO!

You weren’t at the Liverpool game at the Amex last season? Probably the most biased reffing I have ever seen.

90% of the 50/50s were free kicks to Liverpool and Salah’s penalty to win the game was an outrageous decision.

Maybe I’m too biased, draw your own conclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFGNQIqkevE

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here