Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match Of The Day 29/12/2018 - Official Thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It really is a poor programme these days. Odd editing (the corner incident being a turning point today which got the crowd going and not even covered) and poor punditry and research (as others have said £40M for Locadia?!). I actually don’t mind Murphy but he can’t watch all the games so has to rely (presumably) on others for input - and Shearer is a total waste of space. They have better pundits like Jenas but Shearer, Wright etc seem to get the gig as bigger “names”.

To be fair they turn things around very quickly and the editing decisions must be made in minutes. I'd like to see a longer programme on Sunday morning, but I suspect the BBC are right on the edge of their budget to bring Premier League football to us at all.

Watch the extended highlights on Seagulls TV and simply ignore all the other football fans at work who simply repeat what the pundits/newspapers say.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Showed a replay of the first Liverpool pen then completely ignored the dive for the second one. Pathetic.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

This was a game between two Premier League sides who are not qualifying for Europe, or getting relegated. i.e two mid table teams.

The commentary stated we were well on top for the second half.

From a personal point of view, I was delighted. I have finally seen us beat Everton (and Arsenal last season).

I have one team left. Chelsea. Think I have seen us beat everyone else.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Showed a replay of the first Liverpool pen then completely ignored the dive for the second one. Pathetic.

To squeeze the other games in. Very easy to criticise editing decisions, but just imagine how complex the programme is to put together in such a short time.

Programmes are usually edited over weeks/months and this one is done in hours.

They often "get it wrong". If I have one criticism of the BBC it's how it often fails to communicate properly to viewers how programmes are made.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
This is all true and yes, i do generally do that (I also sometimes tune in to goals on Sunday on sky which has much better analysis, albeit with more time). But good insightful analysis adds to the overall football experience I think - carragher/Neville/redknapp do it well on sky, often with less time. The truth is the MOTD pundits largely are bigger names, probably only interested in top 6 and too lazy to really work at doing it properly. Doesn’t mean I don’t watch it (at least when we win) - but would be better with better pundits (who aren’t there for their name only).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is all true and yes, i do generally do that (I also sometimes tune in to goals on Sunday on sky which has much better analysis, albeit with more time)

In a nutshell. Would be a completely different programme if played on Sunday Mornings on BBC. Presenters / pundits would work late into the night Saturday, editors work through the night.

However would get far less viewers and difficult to defend for the cost.

MOTD is what it is I'm afraid and if any other broadcaster got it everyone would complain, like they have in the past.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Record it or watch it live. Love it.

Especially since we have, finally reached the PL.

What do you do?

I tend to watch the highlights on Sky straight after the games or watch Goals on Sunday if I'm around and want some actual analysis. I'd be interested to know what percentage of MOTD viewers are an older vs younger crowd to be honest.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Why wouldn't they? It's still an excellent football show, always has been and always will. The BBC have always done football best imho

I totally disagree with that, but each to their own. The analysis is generally really shallow and poor.

But the reasons I assumed they wouldn't is that there are so many other ways to consume highlights of games without having to sit through an hour of Shearer and Murphy talking bollocks.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
To be fair they turn things around very quickly and the editing decisions must be made in minutes. I'd like to see a longer programme on Sunday morning, but I suspect the BBC are right on the edge of their budget to bring Premier League football to us at all.

Watch the extended highlights on Seagulls TV and simply ignore all the other football fans at work who simply repeat what the pundits/newspapers say.

What's the average length for the extended highlights these days? Haven't had player since we went up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I tend to watch the highlights on Sky straight after the games or watch Goals on Sunday if I'm around and want some actual analysis. I'd be interested to know what percentage of MOTD viewers are an older vs younger crowd to be honest.

Not everybody can afford a Sky account.
I only found out you can get Sky One through a Now TV box, through someone posting it on Nsc last week. Thank you to whoever it was, because it meant I was able to watch our match against Arsenal.
The other Sports channels etc are out of our budget, so MOTD is OK by me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here