Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Of The Day 23/12/17 - Official Thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are Newcastle better than expected or West Ham really poor?

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Aways thought Gary Neville to be a right twunt when playing
But on sky i think he is class. Really starting to like the bloke.
199 times better than motd and smug Gary L - who ironincaly Thought had real class as player but I think is a right twunt on bbc

Same here... Not MOTD related but thoroughly recommend the documentary about Salford City, (class of 92, full time) it’s a really enjoyable watch, The Neville brothers, Giggs, Scoles and Butt and it follows Salford City and their rise up the football pyramid under their control - Gary Neville comes across really very well.

The latest episodes are on catch up now but if you’ve not seen the earlier ones, I recommend that you try and find them.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having watched that it could well have been 4-1 rather than 1-0! Can't throw that many chances away in the future.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Just seen our highlights on the Sunday morning replay. One small thing for me symbolised the effort and intent that Hughton has instilled in this squad. Anthony Knockaert had a frustrating day. Watford doubled up on him a lot of the time and things that he tried didn't come off. We seemed to switch a lot of our attacks down the left to counter this in the second half, leaving Knockaert to work hard with little of the ball. So, when Hemed's late shot bounced in his direction and he put his chance to stick it up the personally hostile Watford fans into the side netting, you may have expected him to have remained prone after sliding off the pitch on his back. Instead the footage showed him jumping to his feet and running with real urgency to get back to his defensive duties. Well done Anthony. Keep up this work and attitude. It won't be long until just one thing you try comes off and things will start happening more naturally again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aways thought Gary Neville to be a right twunt when playing
But on sky i think he is class. Really starting to like the bloke.
199 times better than motd and smug Gary L - who ironincaly Thought had real class as player but I think is a right twunt on bbc

Agree with all that.

Neville was a prat at times as a player, but I love his knowledge and clarity on Sky along with Carragher, Souness and Henry. They tell the truth.

Lineker was a world class striker and England hero. But a boring, smug ‘face’ presenting a too short highlights prog.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Strangest thing was Expected Goals showing that, theoretically, Watford should probably have won. Hmmmm.

I understand the method behind Expected Goals and thought it sounded a good way of giving a more rounded view of the balance of play when you only get to see highlights. But that outcome for yesterday's game is a load of nonsense, so not so sure now.

It did work pretty well in the case of a team like Palace though - showing that they were very likely to have an upturn in results, even when they were bumping along the bottom.

Jan 22, 2017
Are Newcastle better than expected or West Ham really poor?

We were excellent yesterday but both times we have played West Ham they've been awful so that will come into it.

Our last three games prior to yesterday could have seen us pick up 3-6 points had it not been for individual errors and poor finishing so yesterday wasn't a total surprise considering our shocking run. We will get hammered by City on Wednesday and then I genuinely don't know how to call our game against Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here