Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match/event programmes

Do you buy a match programme?

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I stopped buying at some point in the Withdean era because I found I never actually read them. All the information by this point was available online via mobile phone. In this age of unprecedented access via YouTube, the official website et al, I just see absolutely no point in them except for collectors or to get signed by players afterwards.

My late Dad would always buy one at Goldstone and loved ticking off the team sheet on the back page, marking subs, goal scorers etc. As a kid I loved this, but then we didn’t have the internet or a big screen (or a small screen for that matter).

Do you still buy them? Did you stop?

What are your reasons? Nostalgia, no internet? Habit?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Great question.

I always used to ... going back to the last century mainly! And like your dad would tick the little box next to the players on the back page. I haven't bought one for some time now. When I have, I didn't read it and when I got it home I didn't know what to do with it!! But going through my old programmes now and again and remembering some of the games in detail ... who I went with etc ... does give you that warm nostalgic glow!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Used to get them for the Bobkin Jnrs – the younger even had one from every game of one of the seasons. Don't get them now (maybe once in a blue moon) because of the technological advances you mentioned, the cost and, let's face it, neither of them no longer pleading: 'Please can we get a programme?' the minute we get onto the concourse :lolol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Still buy one, it’s part of my match day tradition.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Used to buy one for every match but now I never bother. Hardly ever read them and now the ones I have are just clutter.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Bought them back in the day but now everything is pretty much available online to read so seems pretty pointless.

Would buy one if we got to a Cup Final though.

If the club can still make a profit from them then I have no problem in them continuing but as times change it just seems a bit Chelsea (pointless) to me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Is it an EPL and EFL requirement to produce a match programme? I remember them doubling up at Christmas and Easter

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Used to buy one for every match but now I never bother. Hardly ever read them and now the ones I have are just clutter.
Me too. Part of the problem is they’re small books! Much preferred when a lite read and done with. Unnecessary to have this thick dossier with posters etc. Really all I want to know is a new players favourite meal, motor, movie and actress…

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I used to buy them when we went sporadically, and specifically for my young son. As we're now STH and he's approaching his teens the interest has waned.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've still got my collection of home and away from the 70's & 80's. Have to say on the odd occasion I have purchased an Amex prog it is very good value. Tend to buy the first and last of each season now just for the collection.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I buy them for Junior, also when we go to speedway or any event really

I have no old programmes from my childhood and I want him to have a boxful in the loft when he’s older

Also take my daughter horseracing a lot and she keeps all her race cards and members badges

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I've still got my collection of home and away from the 70's & 80's. Have to say on the odd occasion I have purchased an Amex prog it is very good value. Tend to buy the first and last of each season now just for the collection.
I used to buy one at every single match I went to - even the flimsy pamphlets at preseason friendlies! :lolol: However, a few years ago I realised I had loads of the things which I was never going to look at again, and like you I tend now just to buy the first and last of the season as they can have the most interesting articles/key personnel updates, looking forward to the new season or back at the one just gone.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I tend to buy one each for me and my dad on the last home game of the season I attend solely to look through the lineups, results and scorers at a later date.

Lewes only do a free online one, which a few have complained about but I think is excellent and means(as you can download it the morning of the game) I actually read it

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I tend to buy one each for me and my dad on the last home game of the season I attend solely to look through the lineups, results and scorers at a later date.

Lewes only do a free online one, which a few have complained about but I think is excellent and means(as you can download it the morning of the game) I actually read it
I’ve always wondered why they don’t do an end of season programme after the last game summarising every match, line up, opposition, referee, player scores, etc, etc. I know it’s all on line but many football fans like to peruse something other than the internet when sitting on the loo!

I’d buy it and dump the progs acquired during the season.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Is this a British thing as I've been to several matches in Europe over the years and don't seem to see them in France, Spain, Italy, and Germany where I've seen games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here