Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match days when you were young

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Loads of people did it, away fans as well although there weren't many away fans in those days. All perfectly legal, I didn´t have to climb fences or anything, they just opened the gates and we walked through. I'm talking late 50s early 60´s here, so a long time ago, before the word segregation was invented.

Fair point. I started going in 87 when I don't think it was possible to move stands

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Best personal Match Day memory - Dean Wilkins regular cheery smile as he walked past me on the steps of the hall at the bottom of Goldstone Lane, on his way to the ground. Never bought a ASMS off me, but we knew they read it in the changing room.

Worst personal Match Day memory - Millwall fans telling me to '**** off' before the play-off semi-final. Not just a general '**** off' at a group of fans you understand, this was quite clearly intended for me and me alone.

Even with his more recent Club History Deano will always be a memory to cherish. Sadly, I can't say the same about Millwall.

The Seagull Love Review Team have it soooooo easy these days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Loads of people did it, away fans as well although there weren't many away fans in those days. All perfectly legal, I didn´t have to climb fences or anything, they just opened the gates and we walked through. I'm talking late 50s early 60´s here, so a long time ago, before the word segregation was invented.

You could still do it in the late 60s -the Barrow game that I mentioned earlier was in April 1969 (my memory was faulty though, we won 4-1)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Walking to Crabble, and paying 10p to get into the ground. I went to football on my own as no-one in the family had any interest, and neither did any of the lads and lasses from the area. hence hooked on the game from about 10.

First memories of the Albion. Meeting up with Krispies in the Nursing Quarters at The General, and getting the train to Gillingham. Definitely not as romantic as the rest of the memories posted on here today.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Saint and Greavsie pre game and the smell of cigar smoke and burgers

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Walking over the "top" to get there
Half time hot chocolate with my uncle, even if it did mean standing in the NE corner
The brass band playing at half time and if it was windy the guy with big drum struggling to not be blown around
Playing against Hove Grammar school one afternoon early and then running to the Goldstone to get in for free to see the last 30 minutes and it rained all the time

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Great thread.

My routine from ages 7-14/15 (1988-1996) was as follows....

Footy training in the morning
Home for lunch and Saint and Greavsie (latterly Football Focus)
Travel to match around 1.30pm still wearing shinpads from training
£3 to get in

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
As one of the oldies, I can empathise with many of the comments on here- as a teenager ( and before) there was something about going to the Goldstone that will never be re-created. Sitting on the running track to watch the Watford game when I was ten ( no stewards telling you not to, the one or two policemen on duty helped lift us over the wall!), dad and I padlocking our bikes together on the fence outside the West Stand then cycling home along Old Shoreham Road, the first floodlit games, the Haywards Heath band, Bobby Smith and Alex Dawson scaring the life out of defenders- the memories come flooding back.
The Amex is great but for me it lacks that something special that going to football used to mean. In short, I don't go to a game with my stomach screwed up in nervous anticipation any more!
Well, maybe it will be tomorrow! We need that win!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Much of what has been said :

Walking along Old Shoreham Road from Portslade - the thrill as we saw the crowd forming and became part of the stream
Standing under the West Stand near the player's tunnel - perfect view of all the game
The stink of wintergreen as the players came out
The marching band beforehand and at half time
The wag on the East Terrace who would cry out "Wakey Wakey" at quiet moments
Getting in for shillings and pence, no fan segregation necessary..........

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The music from Sports Report is so evocative for me. They still use the same tune now (I didn't realise that until recently but it took me right back when I heard it).

Remember those guys who used to walk round the side of the pitch collecting money? They didn't bother with girlie things like collecting tins, just four of them carrying a blanket that we all threw coins into. Sometimes not to accurately! Health and Safety would have a fit today.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Fag butts gently drifting by on a stream of golden water in the northstand bogs as you tried in vain not to breath in the toxic fumes .

Those shit boiled hotdog things that for some reason i still purchased even knowing they tasted nothing like a hot dog .

The pre match meet up in the eclipse pub .

The birds with bovver boots and floppy hair .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Laughing at all the early leavers when Eric Potts scored 2 goals in the 90th minute to beat Sunderland 2-1
Something's never change:rolleyes:

You could almost substitute 'Buckley' and 'Doncaster' and that would be current. You're right, some things never change.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Walking round the corner past the Church as a kid and seeing the scaffolding up on the East Terrace meaning we would be on Match of The Day or Sportsnight.

....and if we were on Match Of The Day my dad would creep into my room and wake me up to watch it. He used to say it was our little secret but I'm pretty sure looking back that mum knew!!!

Happy Days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here