Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match day parking availble at Falmer Auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I bought a season ticket for Falmer Auctions, and as Bozza suggests getting out is much quicker than from the Bridge.

I've received an email today saying:

It is with regret that we will not be able to open the car park on Sunday 15th October 2017 for the Brighton v Everton game.
The situation has arisen due to the fact that our I.T. Company used without authorisation from the Football Club their logo on our web page and Facebook.

Obviously using a logo without permission is a terrible sin, but I'm wondering how misusing a logo leads to restrictions on what they can do with their car park.
Does the club have rights over the usage of the roads on match days?

I emailed Falmer Auctions yesterday, asking for clarification as to why this legal dispute should mean that the car park will be shut tomorrow. Needless to say I haven't received a reply.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Does anyone not start pricing these days with “how to a f uck people to the max..?” What’s wrong with an honest fiver? Why are airports the role model? FFs it’s the players earning stupid money not the fans. I’d give these greedy chancers the clamp if I were you. If you pay you’re a fool and condoning rip off Britain.

It's the same price as the official car parks and far easier to get away from. To me that makes it pretty good value for money!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The club appears to be acting like a flat track bully on this one and is doing itself no favours when it comes to living up to its "together" strap line. So Falmer Auctions used the club's logo without permission. Hardly the end of the world is it? An apology to the club should have sorted it.

Instead the club has angered a large number of supporters (doesn't appear to be a lot of "togethness" being demonstrated) and somehow managed to prevent Falmer Auctions using their parking facility on Sunday.

And on the last point I am at a loss to understand how the club have any jurisdiction over whether or not the parking facility is used. An explanation would be very interesting.

Meanwhile the club have come out of this smelling like a "couldn't give a shit about customers" corporate monster.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As ever with these things, people are jumping on the club having only heard one side of the story - and that side only via a third party at that. I've been guilty of this myself in the past which is why I'm not going to do that on this occasion.

The success of the Amex relies on a number of different parties working together to make transportation effective for a lot of people using different means. It's not in the club's interests to shut off a car park for no good reason, particularly when the club's own parking already sells out.

Paul Barber has spoken about the club's mandated requirement, being in the Premier League, to protect the use of the club's brand. Maybe this is an instance of that, although it would seem strange that the car park is no longer able to function tomorrow when a quick website edit should resolve the problem.

Additionally a user has PMed me to highlight that Falmer Auctions do not have permission to use the site on a Sunday or a bank holiday, pointing me to this planning document >>> http://planningpublicaccess.southdo...8EC7881/SDNP_14_04312_FUL-DECISION-437072.rtf

I've not looked in any depth, but that could relate to the auction house itself and not apply to the parking. I simply have no idea.

Regardless, I'm not going to be looking to kick the club when everything I see suggests that reasonableness is generally the order of the day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Meanwhile the club have come out of this smelling like a "couldn't give a shit about customers" corporate monster.
The people parking at sweet FA are not the clubs customers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the Auction House has said that the club has closed the car park.

A lot of people on here are asking whether the club would have the authority to do that over a website copyright issue.

A new user (who may, or may not, have a reason for knocking the Auction house) suggests that there may be another reason.

I've got my pitchfork ready, but I'm not lighting my torch just yet ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The club would not have the unilateral authority to prevent a third party from continuing its legitimate business interests over a copyright (or any other) issue. IF the club have sought to prevent FA from operating its car park, it would have needed some form of judicial/statutory body to issue an order.

Given the things that have been outlined on here, then, if true, it's possible the club sought an injunction from the Court to prevent FA from "passing off" the club by using its logo, presumably using the argument that the signage was misleading. It seems a bit of a stretch to me that a Court would issue a ban on them trading for such an issue, but I guess it's possible.

Alternatively, if there are planning issues about using the car park on a Sunday, a quick call to the Council would set that ball in motion (of course, the Council may have picked it up without any club intervention at all).

There are nothing like enough facts to be able to draw conclusions, other than we know the club will seek to protect its trademarks and that the club doesn't have any powers to unilaterally prevent a third party from operating its business.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I suspect it went like this:

Club: we want x% since you're using our logo
FA: We'll offer 3p or you can have your x% of nothing.
Club: you want to be sued?
FA: have x% of nothing then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As ever with these things, people are jumping on the club having only heard one side of the story - and that side only via a third party at that. I've been guilty of this myself in the past which is why I'm not going to do that on this occasion.

The success of the Amex relies on a number of different parties working together to make transportation effective for a lot of people using different means. It's not in the club's interests to shut off a car park for no good reason, particularly when the club's own parking already sells out.

Paul Barber has spoken about the club's mandated requirement, being in the Premier League, to protect the use of the club's brand. Maybe this is an instance of that, although it would seem strange that the car park is no longer able to function tomorrow when a quick website edit should resolve the problem.

Additionally a user has PMed me to highlight that Falmer Auctions do not have permission to use the site on a Sunday or a bank holiday, pointing me to this planning document >>> http://planningpublicaccess.southdo...8EC7881/SDNP_14_04312_FUL-DECISION-437072.rtf

I've not looked in any depth, but that could relate to the auction house itself and not apply to the parking. I simply have no idea.

Regardless, I'm not going to be looking to kick the club when everything I see suggests that reasonableness is generally the order of the day.

This

Our girl

Oct 13, 2017
Nothing to do with Sunday - I parked there for the Newcastle game.

But they might have been breaching the terms of the planning permission. I imagine the villagers wouldnt be too happy about a load of extra cars restricting their access to their village given the strength of feeling of how the Amex would impact on their lives. It might have been the Newcastle game that prompted the complaint. The club logo issue might have come at a convenient time for Falmer Auctions to use that as an excuse rather than admit they were selling parking permits when they didn't have all the required permissions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A source tells me that this has very little to do with a club logo appearing on the FAH website and has far more to do with planning consent for the stadium itself and the associated traffic management plan, and the council may well be involved at looking at this operation in connection with that.

I believe this is an ongoing legal matter, so I'm minded to close the thread now.

I'll finally add it's rarely wise to bash the club at every available opportunity, and with little access to all the information around any given matter. You'll almost certainly be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here