Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match Day Mascots

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Does anyone know if Young Seagulls still get randomly selected to be Ballboys? I got to do that 3 times at Withdean and seems a good option seeming not everyone can be a mascot.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Used to be free at The Goldstone:

Choose your favourite player to walk out with - free
Full set of kit - shirt, shorts, socks - free
Tour of the West Stand, behind the scenes before the match - free
6 tickets in the West Stand for Family and Friends - free
Access to the dugout and pitch side to film the big day - free
Chat with favourite player and others in the players lounge afterwards - free
Opportunity to get autographs including visiting manager Kenny Dalglish (miserable g*t) - free

A wonderful and memorable day for little Earle and all his family - oh, did I say it was all free?

Nice, but maybe the culture of giving away loads of stuff like that away for free was why we almost ended up being wound up in the 90s?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, yes, but that's the ONLY info. Where's the detail?
I wouldn't have allowed the club to publish details of my daughter had she been drawn.

Why do you need to know?

I assume by asking you believe the club are lying.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well, my lad was mascot on Saturday for his birthday. He said it was 'the best day of his life'

For the 250 quid (For comparison, I paid £220 for a soft play party 3 years ago and all I got was as much squash as I could drink plus a headache from the screaming kids), you get the full kit to keep, A trip around the Albion Museum, 2 tickets (If there is one criticism, it is that these tickets in W1A aren't the best when they come on the pitch with the players), walking out on the pitch with Davy Propper, some drills on the side of the pitch beforehand, the back of his head on MOTD, his picture in the program and 2 x food vouchers which effectively saved me £16. They also take numerous photos to look at from the day albeit they are chargeable.

I'm lucky that I can afford it but wouldn't put anyone off doing it and reckon it is the best value for money you can get at the Albion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, my lad was mascot on Saturday for his 9th birthday. He said it was 'the best day of his life'

For the 250 quid (For comparison, I paid £220 for a soft play party 3 years ago and all I got was as much squash as I could drink plus a headache from the screaming kids), you get the Full kit, A trip around the Albion Museum, 2 tickets (If there is one criticism, it is that these tickets in W1A aren't the best when they come on the pitch with the players), walking out on the pitch with Davy Propper, some drills on the side of the pitch beforehand, the back of his head on MOTD and 2 x food vouchers which effectively saved me £16. They also take numerous photos to look at from the day albeit they are chargeable.

I'm lucky that I can afford it but wouldn't put anyone off doing it and reckon it is the best value for money you can get at the Albion.

And 2 exceptionally lucky Young Seagulls get that for free every game! Despite not paying, they still get full kit, tickets, food vouchers etc. That does seem reasonably generous by the club so that it isn't just based on what you can afford, at least 38 kids per season are getting that package as a gift from the club.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And 2 exceptionally lucky Young Seagulls get that for free every game! Despite not paying, they still get full kit, tickets, food vouchers etc. That does seem reasonably generous by the club so that it isn't just based on what you can afford, at least 38 kids per season are getting that package as a gift from the club.

Indeed. I think they also pick 1 mascot at random at away games as well. The club have monetised some areas wrongly IMO but this isn't one of them.

There are so many more things that the package give you that I haven't even mentioned. Schellotto gave one of the lads his training top on Saturday. They high fived the team on the way on the pitch for pre match training, been in the press room and sat on the managers seat. The staff are great as well. What's not to like.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It sounds to me like if the players weren't pampering to the over privileged snot nosed rug rats and concentrated on playing football, they might have a better chance of winning, once in a while.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't have allowed the club to publish details of my daughter had she been drawn.

Why do you need to know?

I assume by asking you believe the club are lying.

Not at all.

But when the club promotes the free mascot draw (on national radio and elsewhere) and specifically identifies "Entry to matchday mascot lottery" as a benefit of purchasing an Under 18 membership, it has a duty - and almost certainly legal obligation - to set out the terms & conditions.

How/when is the draw made? Are previous drawn-winners excluded? (That season only, or forever?) Are previous paid-mascots excluded? What ages are allowed? If a drawn winner can't make a match, do they have the chance to be chosen again? etc etc.

I dunno. Maybe I've missed this somewhere?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Here goes............for the many who can't stomach listening to Jim White (or Paul for that matter :lolol::lolol:)........a summary :

-Albion/Amex student campaign/competition.........bringing three students from Sport & Business in to see behind the scenes.......could be in any function
-Mascots - £350 for captain, £250 for other players and 2 free places by ballot - why not make them all free ?
-PB - demand. Package is good value (food, kit, pics, parking, tickets etc etc etc), sold out for the season - big demand. Keep a couple free for Young Seagulls (free)
-Away mascots are free, other special cases included
-Some clubs up to £700, even PB thinks that's too much.......
-Kids treated like 'royalty', feedback is very positive. Jordan agrees VFM is there and (reluctantly LOL) thinks Brighton have got it right - but not at £700 without kit (club not named ?)

Next bit might be more interesting as covering on-field stuff, Potter, league position etc - seems PB is going to be in the studio for a while

well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
700, even PB thinks that's too much.

Lol. I bet the truth is, he felt outdone and when he found a suitable moment, he angrily shouted **** to himself a few times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I'd like to nominate HARIBO 9 for an Albion mascot role, having seen him and his mum on Wanted Down Under this morning. Albion flag on his bedroom wall, Albion top worn (American Express logo pixellated out throughout :lolol:) on his kids football training session in Brisbane. Top little lad :clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here