Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Masters Of The Air

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm enjoying it and don't get the feeling of RAF bashing you see in other films. I've always felt that the American portrayal of brits is probably down to the fact that the RAF were predominantly from middle class backgrounds. I imagine an American soldier would have much more in common with a working class soldier from Glasgow or the north of England than a public school boy from somewhere like the home counties.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I'm enjoying it and don't get the feeling of RAF bashing you see in other films. I've always felt that the American portrayal of brits is probably down to the fact that the RAF were predominantly from middle class backgrounds. I imagine an American soldier would have much more in common with a working class soldier from Glasgow or the north of England than a public school boy from somewhere like the home counties.
Most of the flight crew in Bomber Command were regular members of the public

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Excuse my ignorance on this. Were bomber pilots those pilots who did not make it as fighter pilots? From what I can tell they just fly and hope for the best whereas the fighter pilots chuck their planes about. Almost like and F1 driver vs a bus driver.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My Grandad was a navigator on Lancasters' in Bomber Command. He would've been a keen viewer of this show but sadly passed away aged 99 a couple of years ago.

If even half of the dramatisation of what's in this show were true, I'm pretty lucky to have even existed I guess.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What time does the latest episode drop, I've binged the rest now have to wait now it's got good 😠

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Most of the flight crew in Bomber Command were regular members of the public
I suspect the pilots started,off coming from the upper classes but the rest of the crew were definitely working class. My uncle was a rear gunner - the most dangerous job as the Germans would target that to disable the defences - he was very much working class. Also flew well over 40 missions - none of this retiring after 25 nonsense.
another uncle was a fighter pilot - took a long time before going into action and then it was seconded into the Canadian air force - I do wonder if that was class snobbery as he came from a poor background in Birmingham. tragically killed in action in Italy So I never knew him.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I have come to the conclusion that Apple is FANTASTIC, the (vast majority of the) content is top draw. Real quality stuff compared to other platforms and I appreciate the fact there is less of it and they don’t dilute their offering with reams of endless crap!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s had some okay moments but overall a huge let down. Watching it just to complete it now.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
13 years to come up with this disjointed snooze fest.
I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as BoB, but it has failed on every level.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A couple of episodes aside it ended up being sadly underwhelming.

Towards the end it felt rushed

Weakest of the 3 shows by a mile, BoB and Pacific are in a different league.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Have they made a mess of it ?
Or was it never likely to be that good ?

Interestingly - the reviews are very good

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Watched the last episode this evening which I found totally absorbing…..that closing piece showed some special people survived….many many more didn’t.

Personally I grew into the series ….finding the first 3 maybe 4 not really taking my interest

Praise should be given to the backing music for the series from start to finish

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watched the last episode this evening which I found totally absorbing…..that closing piece showed some special people survived….many many more didn’t.

Personally I grew into the series ….finding the first 3 maybe 4 not really taking my interest

Praise should be given to the backing music for the series from start to finish
Though minus 10 pts for the cringe scene as the PoW camp is liberated, and all that matters is our hero climbing the flagpole to replace the German flag with the Stars & Stripes while every prisoner, guard, liberator etc stops what they’re doing to cheer, cry and generally wet themselves as the music swells and a tidal wave of God Bless Murica schmaltz gushes across the screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here