Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(MASSIVE) Leeds (Champions of Europe) Chairman: "Coaches are like watermelons"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
And on Leeds and other teams forums they laugh at the way Gus was sacked and the way the golden boy Oscar couldn't stand it here , some Albion fans live in Licker Land

If Tony Bloom's puppet Barber announced Elma Fudd as new manager on 1st April all the lickers on here would be cheering that on as well.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
As a football soap opera this is right up there with Newcastle and Portsmouth. It is almost inevitable that Di Canio will take over as Leeds boss at some point.

For most clubs who are looking for a new manager, Di Canio is seriously damaged goods. However, this new Leeds owner appears to have graduated from the same school of nutty club owners as Vincent Tan. Therefore, if Hockaday gets canned by the end of August/September/October, I fully expect Di Canio to be standing in the middle of Elland Road holding aloft a white scarf.

For the sake of our continuing entertainment, it MUST happen!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I hate to go against the 'lets all laugh and joke club Leeds' but I am not sure what he has exactly said wrong here. A lot of it is actually sensible.

He didn't sign any players until he knew the coach/manager as he wanted to ensure they were happy with them
He can't judge a manager until they have been doing the job (watermelon metaphor is a bit odd, but you can see what he is saying)
He doesn't want the club to be reliant on money from the Premier League as that is what kills the club
They aren't a sleeping giant, they have been failing for the last 12 years

This new guy may end up being awful and a complete mistake but it could just work. Look at how much egg on face there was with Crystal 'going to get the lowest points ever, oh wait they ended up doing quite well' Palace last season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hate to go against the 'lets all laugh and joke club Leeds' but I am not sure what he has exactly said wrong here. A lot of it is actually sensible.

Don't you think all of the following are not only worrying but reveal what is likely to happen:

"I like to buy players, I love to help the coach. I want to make him good."

"We need a lot of passion. For him it's a big challenge"

"Players are kids, with kids' psychologies - they are not men. Football is a very simple thing."

Cellino said he was looking to move away from the club's Thorp Arch training complex, around eight miles north of the city.
"I don't think it is a very lucky place, it was built in 2002 and since then we are down. We are looking for somewhere new, nearer the ground."

Hockaday, who said he did not know whether Cellino intended to bring a director of football, described the arrangement as "very continental".

Now what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Don't you think all of the following are not only worrying but reveal what is likely to happen:

"Players are kids, with kids' psychologies - they are not men. Football is a very simple thing."

Cellino said he was looking to move away from the club's Thorp Arch training complex, around eight miles north of the city.
"I don't think it is a very lucky place, it was built in 2002 and since then we are down. We are looking for somewhere new, nearer the ground."

Hockaday, who said he did not know whether Cellino intended to bring a director of football, described the arrangement as "very continental".

Lets not forget the infamously stable Benito Carbone being involved as a 'special advisor' to the board....

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I am not saying that it won't go wrong but that a lot of what he is saying might be being taken the wrong way.

yes the training ground is quite new, but could it be that the facilities are not very good and that is why he is saying it is 'unlucky'. A quick google search has said that when he was at Cagliari he was instrumental in the building of their sports centre, so maybe he thinks he can invest in a much better facility for them?

The thing about buying players to make him good, to me is saying that he wants to give the coach the best players that he can for the money he has. Like I say, to me that is him seeing himself as a director of football and very much the David Burke role. He discusses who the manager would like and then highlights players in that role for potential transfers. And the passion, isn't that a case of needing to motivate the players and get them passionate for the club and to play for the club.

And, players are kids. A lot of these guys act like kids and many are with the age they are coming through at. Foootball really isn't massively complex, we need to keep to basics especially with the players.

I could be completely wrong, and it may be a disaster, but trying to read what he has said and being aware of the language difference, it may be that he actualy is going to be pretty good for them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am not saying that it won't go wrong but that a lot of what he is saying might be being taken the wrong way.

yes the training ground is quite new, but could it be that the facilities are not very good and that is why he is saying it is 'unlucky'. A quick google search has said that when he was at Cagliari he was instrumental in the building of their sports centre, so maybe he thinks he can invest in a much better facility for them?

The thing about buying players to make him good, to me is saying that he wants to give the coach the best players that he can for the money he has. Like I say, to me that is him seeing himself as a director of football and very much the David Burke role. He discusses who the manager would like and then highlights players in that role for potential transfers. And the passion, isn't that a case of needing to motivate the players and get them passionate for the club and to play for the club.

And, players are kids. A lot of these guys act like kids and many are with the age they are coming through at. Foootball really isn't massively complex, we need to keep to basics especially with the players.

I could be completely wrong, and it may be a disaster, but trying to read what he has said and being aware of the language difference, it may be that he actualy is going to be pretty good for them.

Your comments remind me of Saddam Hussein's former Information Minister Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf, or 'Comical Ali' as he was better known. Clearly, there are no US tanks anywhere near Elland Road.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Living near Leeds training ground at Thorpe Arche I can confirm that they are first class. The land is worth a fortune as well. Not that LUFC will see any of that, as they don't own it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here