Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Massive congrats to Chelsea.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I will certainly chuckle heartily when it all goes very wrong at Stamford Bridge though. In fact my tits will fall off.
I don't think this will happen, there is a good reason why Chelsea poached GP and why we were so utterly gutted by it. TBH I was really pissed with GP, but now I have calmed down, I doubt very much if I were put in the same position I would have acted any differently. Its not like he was agitating to move and the Chelsea job came along and he put his hand up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Massive congrats to England as well. Mount, James, Chilwell, Gallagher etc. getting Potter as their manager could mean great things for your national team.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was hoping they would crash and burn, but obvious that isn't going to happen.
Even when they don't play well they win.
Wonder what will happen if Barca or Real Madras come calling.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Garth Crooks not pulling any punches:

Chelsea made hard work of it against Aston Villa in the first half having gone 1-0 up at Villa Park. What Marc Cucurella is doing at the club never mind on the pitch at Villa Park I don't quite understand.

Graham Potter, having sold the player when manager at Brighton, has now inherited him at Chelsea but the Spaniard is not a top-four defender and it is showing.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Garth Crooks not pulling any punches:

Chelsea made hard work of it against Aston Villa in the first half having gone 1-0 up at Villa Park. What Marc Cucurella is doing at the club never mind on the pitch at Villa Park I don't quite understand.

Graham Potter, having sold the player when manager at Brighton, has now inherited him at Chelsea but the Spaniard is not a top-four defender and it is showing.
That first sentence invalidates any opinion that follows. Even a stopped clock...(etc)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It does grind my gears hearing Klopp whine about not being able to compete with City and mentioning the rise of Newcastle as well, talk about a lack of self-awareness, welcome to the world of 99.9% of football clubs you sour dickhead, it won’t stop your club cherry picking whoever you want from us lesser clubs and us having to just suck it up.
After spending 80 million on a striker in the summer, 70 million in the Jan window as well.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It does grind my gears hearing Klopp whine about not being able to compete with City and mentioning the rise of Newcastle as well, talk about a lack of self-awareness, welcome to the world of 99.9% of football clubs you sour dickhead, it won’t stop your club cherry picking whoever you want from us lesser clubs and us having to just suck it up.
Yeah, it's like 'how dare other clubs out muscle us with money', when they've been doing it to other clubs for years.
With Newcastle's dirty money and the possibility of a few other clubs being taken over in the future by oil barons Klopp will need to get used to the fact that the big 4 (now the big 6), will probably become the big 10 in the not too distant future. Klopp will have to realise they are not the only 'big' club in the Prem anymore.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Amazing how nobody here had no qualms when we took him from Swansea? It's football, that's what happens, there is a food chain and the rich will always take from the not so rich. As if GP was going to turn down the reputed 10m a year contract and the chance to work in the upper echelons of football.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll be honest, I want Potter to do well.
I should but I look at Chelsea scores during games and am disappointed to see them winning. I loved GP when he managed us and he brought us on in leaps and bounds. I should wish him well but I can’t do it :smile:

The fact that so many contracts were sorted in about 24 hours makes me think that TB may have been agreeable to this move for whatever reason, and something may have been happening in the background for a while before Tuchel was sacked :shrug:

I love a conspiracy theory!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I should but I look at Chelsea scores during games and am disappointed to see them winning. I loved GP when he managed us and he brought us on in leaps and bounds. I should wish him well but I can’t do it :smile:

The fact that so many contracts were sorted in about 24 hours makes me think that TB may have been agreeable to this move for whatever reason, and something may have been happening in the background for a while before Tuchel was sacked :shrug:

I love a conspiracy theory!
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory, but I do think that Boehly said to Bloom or Barber that if and when he sacked Tuchel, Potter was his first choice. A lot seems to have happened at the owners AGM in August, and I suspect that we were told then the state of play.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I don't give a rat's ass about Chelsea and prefer we never mention their name if we can, unless they are our upcoming fixture.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Amazing how nobody here had no qualms when we took him from Swansea? It's football, that's what happens, there is a food chain and the rich will always take from the not so rich. As if GP was going to turn down the reputed 10m a year contract and the chance to work in the upper echelons of football.
We approached Potter at the end of Swansea's season. We were in single figures games played in THIS NEW season when Chelsea came calling. It's a completely different situation! Potter is a generational coaching talent and I reckon all of us wouldn't have begrudged him moving on at the END of a season. But to f*** off when we'd just enjoyed our best ever start in the PL despite selling £150m worth of talent in just over a calendar year was really poor.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We approached Potter at the end of Swansea's season. We were in single figures games played in THIS NEW season when Chelsea came calling. It's a completely different situation! Potter is a generational coaching talent and I reckon all of us wouldn't have begrudged him moving on at the END of a season. But to f*** off when we'd just enjoyed our best ever start in the PL despite selling £150m worth of talent in just over a calendar year was really poor.
Agree that moving at the end of the season would have been a classier look, but who says there's a top 6 job available at the end of the season?
Don't understand the "when we'd just enjoyed our best start in the PL" argument. As if it would have been any better if he had left the club with a few points less in the table. He left Brighton in a far better position than when he was appointed, not exactly the crime of the century.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Agree that moving at the end of the season would have been a classier look, but who says there's a top 6 job available at the end of the season?
Don't understand the "when we'd just enjoyed our best start in the PL" argument. As if it would have been any better if he had left the club with a few points less in the table. He left Brighton in a far better position than when he was appointed, not exactly the crime of the century.
Potter could (would) have been managing a top 6 club if he'd stayed?

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Fair point re the timing of our approach to Swansea and Potters exit from us. But who wouldn't have gone in GP's position? We need to remember managers and players are employees, we are fans, they will go where the money is. Football can change so quickly, you have to take the opportunities when they come to you. Say after the Leicester game we embarked like last season on a 12 game run of failing to win a game, there would be fans calling for GP's head even if he had turned down Chelsea's approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here