Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mason Holgate.

I don’t think you’re getting it.

No-one is saying that racism (whether online or in person) is non existent in this country. Even in the examples you mentioned, it’s been reported and even Southgate mentioned, that the majority of the racist abused stemmed from outside the UK.

Here’s a link - although I’m sure you’ll find another example to suit your agenda.

No-one on this thread is saying the UK is perfect, or anywhere close to it. We as a country have a lot still to do, but saying other countries/areas may be worse for racism isn’t saying that it’s non existent in this country.

FWIW - I think when online racist abuse does happen in this country it’s dealt with very seriously by police. The abuse that stems from outside the country is a lot harder to convict (partly due to the attitudes of said countries).
I don't have any agenda - except the obvious that racism in this country is our responsibility and constantly pointing ***over there*** at foreigners (not our responsibility and nothing our police can do anything about) is hugely agenda-driven to downplay and distract from what is happening here. Yes I could find plenty of links, the amount of jail sentences handed out to racist abusers in the UK, I could add to this thread constantly with all those. There are actually blatant examples of racism on this very thread - and shock horror you've not taken any issue with those, but with my posts. Funny that?

Sure, I know it could have been a clumsy choice of words by the poster. I don’t believe what they wrote was racist, just a casual/lazy/‘dumb’ stereotypical statement.

As an aside, there’s a couple of lines from your reply I picked apart, not from an argumentative stance. More out of curiosity, having lived most of my adult life outside of the UK and most likely having developed different viewpoints.

1: “…there are large parts of Asia that are nowhere near as multi-cultural as the UK

- Do you believe (or are you stating) that more multiculturalism = less instances (or examples) of racism/less racism in general?

2: “and (‘in large parts of Asia’) where racism towards black people is more prevalent than it is here.”

- Would you agree that you could point to large parts of other continents, where racism towards black people is more prevalent than it is in England/southern England?
Get over yourself man. Stop being pedantic. You could literally use that kind of questioning with anything, anyone says. I have ready many times before, that racism is rife all over the world in all cultures from Asians to Europeans whether it's anti Africans or anti Asians. It will never go away, sadly, abhorrent as it is.

"I get that. But I think that these people are far less likely to message a black footballer on social media with the kind of messages that were sent to Holgate, because they know they are entirely unacceptable in their society."

- That's a great point that I hadn't considered.

"If I said "there is a high level of racism in Italy", you saying "Yes but there is also in Spain" doesn't change the fact that there is in Italy. If you see what I mean."

- I do see what you mean, however I believe a more accurate comparison would be; "there is a high level of racism in Europe", and my reply would be; "yes, but I believe there is likely to be an equal amount of racism in any other continent".

--

I imagine we likely agree on the core issue/argument.
Fair play just seen the follow on replies...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here