Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mason Greenwood charged with attempted rape

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I know some victims of sex attacks and what they have been through is horrific , so not sure telling the world is a good idea or would help them with what is a terrible ordeal.

Can’t get my head around that way of thinking at all
I think what @Easy 10 is suggesting is that the defendant should remain anonymous until convicted, not that the victim(s) should be named.

I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to anonymity until conviction. In some cases having the accused name out there helps other victims and/or witnesses come forward which can make securing a conviction easier, but equally a lot of damage is done when an innocent person is wrongly accused and their name is banded around the press before trial.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know some victims of sex attacks and what they have been through is horrific , so not sure telling the world is a good idea or would help them with what is a terrible ordeal.

I'm not saying that the (alleged) victim should have their name exposed at the point of accusation at all.

But by the same token, it is still monstrously unfair to have the name of the accused exposed, and dragged through the media before its even seen the inside of a courtroom.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think what @Easy 10 is suggesting is that the defendant should remain anonymous until convicted, not that the victim(s) should be named.

I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to anonymity until conviction. In some cases having the accused name out there helps other victims and/or witnesses come forward which can make securing a conviction easier, but equally a lot of damage is done when an innocent person is wrongly accused and their name is banded around the press before trial.
Thank you. That is exactly my point.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Imagine the hate she'd get from the Man U plastics?

I can see both sides of naming the accused, he's innocent until proven guilty so why is he named? But then again looking at Saville etc.. naming them was the only way to get it out in the open and for other accuser's to have the nerve to come forward.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be honest in this specific case hearing the audio I don’t really care that he has been named before trial. Regardless out the outcome of the case he doesn’t appear to be a very pleasant individual

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
According to Sky Sports the investigation has been discontinued by the CPS.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My word.

Something very odd has happened. Strange. I thought the evidence was very compelling.

Edit:

“The Crown Prosecution Service said the charges were discontinued after a key witness withdrew their involvement.
A spokesman said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
"In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
"We have explained our decision to all parties.
"We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met." BBC

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So , clearly , he's not guilty of anything .
However:

The only thing that's clear is that the CPS have decided they do not have a reasonable prospect of conviction so have dropped the case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It takes a tremendous amount of courage to give evidence as a victim of a sex crime. The alleged victim has already been through one trial giving evidence, and verdicts of not guilty on some of the charges have been given. I think (without checking) there are another couple of indictments that needed a retrial. That is hanging over the alleged victim for months. I doubt anyone would want to go through that again, and it takes real encouragement from the Witness Care people to persuade alleged victims to carry on until the end.
It happens time and time again, where the alleged victim just wants the whole thing to go away, and unless there is medical evidence of brutality, and a positive DNA, rape is extremely difficult to prove.
No one can say definitively, that he is completely innocent, nor can anyone say he is guilty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep. all charges dropped. Must be a really nice boy after all. Time to change the thread title?
Yes, the title should be changed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here