Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Mash potato

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
What’s the best recipe for mashed spuds?

I’ve been adding a dollop of Philadelphia \o/

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'd go literally, boil some spuds then mash them.

Otherwise it's not REALLY simply mashed potato.

I wonder if this will beat the 'perfect rice' effort.

download.jpeg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Overcook the potatoes, drain but make sure butter is added before they cool. Roughly mash then push through ones of these below with a flat scraper.

You won't go back.

Also good as the end to "dry" to the potatoes in non stick pan. This gives a nice "baked" background flavour.

1694798187521.png

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Teaspoonful of mustard powder.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Best mashed potato - Russets, King Edwards or at a push Maris Piper. Bake them first, spoon out the cooked potato (keep the skins for other 'things').

Mash with some good quality butter, single cream and pepper. Bit of a faff but well worth it :thumbsup:

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I don’t use cream or liquid.
Just mash the potatoes with butter (James Martin taught me this) and the butter emulsifies and they are beautiful.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Cook them well but not so much that they're falling apart. Lower & slower on the boiling with salt added to the pan at the beginning, starting the pots in cold water. Drain them really well & then mash with a potato masher (that isn't one of those weird curvy ones). Add about 30/40g of soft butter, mash again. Put the saucepan on the small ring with the heat really low and add about 100ml of milk & mash in. Add salt & pepper to taste then chuck in whatever you want. Boursin is nice or stir in some fresh chives or just loads of cheddar. Mash is about the only thing in my cooking repertoire that I can make to perfection, I can't stand lumpy mash.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My preference is a potato should be chipped, or roasted. However, the wife likes mash so it's.....
boiled to oblivion, drain, add milk and marge, mash the crap out of them, serve with lincolnshire sausages and baked beans. Or....
boiled to oblivion, drain, add milk and marge, mash the crap out of them, use as a topping for shepherds pie with a smattering of grated cheese to brown off in the oven

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not a lover of mash. So if I have to have it, I prefer it with additions - I like caramalised onions (with garlic), and some cream cheese.

Or sometimes I'll just fry it, to get a crisp outside to add texture. But that probably makes it some variation of potato hash or something other than 'mash'.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Butter, milk and a tablespoon of mayo Mrs Q says.
It is bloody good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here