Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Marvin Gaye estate suing Ed Sheeran over copyright infringement

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Heard it through the Grapevine? Yes, I'd forgotten that one. Doesn't follow that younger generations know it though. I've heard of 'Sexual Healing', now you mention it, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it!
Honestly.

What's going on? ???

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

As I fan I'll be interested as to whether they'll release any of this new found music of the soul icon.
Interesting laws attached to this story.
In Belgium, after 30 years, any item you've had in your posetion is legally yours. But not intelectual property. So this guy owns the tape the music is on, and can sell the tape, but he doesn't own the music.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seems very likely as it was settled just before coming before the judge.
But we don't know if Coldplay decided they would lose, and paid a large amount, or if Joe thought he'd lose, so settled for almost nothing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But we don't know if Coldplay decided they would lose, and paid a large amount, or if Joe thought he'd lose, so settled for almost nothing.
Again unlikely as Coldplay revealed they wouldn't need to admit copying the melody after settling the case. All the pieces I've ever read from the press about it (not fan comments on Reddit etc) have suggested the settlement went in Satriani's favour. I imagine people who understand legal wording in this kind of case would be able to make an informed judgement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can and I’ve got a hearing problem :smile:
It's got the same beat, but then so have a lot of things. I like the idea that people can protect their work, but I also don't like the idea that people will make claims where the music hasn't been copied.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's got the same beat, but then so have a lot of things. I like the idea that people can protect their work, but I also don't like the idea that people will make claims where the music hasn't been copied.
Do you hear sound in the same range as other people?
I'm just wondering if you might be better off judging whether those sandworms from Dune have ripped off each other's music rather than listening to human music.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Heard it through the Grapevine? Yes, I'd forgotten that one. Doesn't follow that younger generations know it though. I've heard of 'Sexual Healing', now you mention it, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it!
Funnily enough, Heard it through the grapevine started playing as I left a Tesco Express on whatever station it is they play in such places earlier. Everybody's heard it.

Apropos of nothing I was in Lewes Tesco once a few years ago, quite late on a Friday evening, and noticed I quite liked a few of the songs they were playing. I mentioned this to the guy on the checkout and they quite cheerfully replied
"Oh yes, it's Radio Dead."
"I'm sorry?"
"Radio Dead. They only play music by dead people or bands with a dead member"
"Oh. That's... lovely. Probably does have all the best tunes I guess."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nice. I wish they would bring the current G3 tour to the UK as it reunites Satch with Steve Vai and Eric Johnson.
Great lineup! I've never seen G3. Personally I'd like to see Vai, Satch and Petrucci. I love Vai though, incredibly creative, enormously influenced by Frank Zappa.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here