Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Marvin Gaye estate suing Ed Sheeran over copyright infringement

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Once you give them both a listen they do sound a bit similar but can't you say that about lots of songs over the years?

Going on what the Gaye's got for 'Blurred Lines' there's clearly money in it.

Edit Mods can you change the thread title its the co writers estate not Marvin?

Thanks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When I see stories like this I'm continually amazed how Noel Gallagher managed to avoid getting sued more than he did.

Coca Cola had him for using a melody from one of their ads and bunging it into 'Shakermaker' but that's about it.
Mad how the music business words. Apparently The Jam didn't need to pay a penny to use the Taxman bassline on Start, and none of the Beatles sued...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Mad how the music business words. Apparently The Jam didn't need to pay a penny to use the Taxman bassline on Start, and none of the Beatles sued...

I'm a bassist and I've covered both of those songs before in bands and I've never linked the two.

Astounding.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If his estate wins a few million after a long battle they’ll realise how sweet it is.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Indeed and Weller hasn't sued when others have seemingly infringed his copyright. I wonder if his heirs (he's got about 200 children) will start to sue when he dies?

Yoda

English & European
I thought Blurred Lines bass line sounded different enough to that claim to be dismissed and was surprised when it was rules in the Gaye Estates favour. And what with so much music having been written by now, are you ever going to get something that doesn't sound remotely different and has something somewhere that sounds like it's been ripped off by another song?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
A good article from almost 7 years ago (how has it taken this long??!?) showing how this case is a load of cobblers - given US courts, however, that doesn't preclude it from being successful...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A good article from almost 7 years ago (how has it taken this long??!?) showing how this case is a load of cobblers - given US courts, however, that doesn't preclude it from being successful...

It hasn't. The first case was brought in 2016

A second attempt came up in 2018, a third in 2021 (see post 4).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I thought Ed had won a trial against the Gaye twats? Not sure if this is the same one or another.

Going on what the Gaye's got for 'Blurred Lines' there's clearly money in it.

They should never have won that trial. The songs have a similar vibe (just like disco songs have a similar vibe etc), but the tune and lyrics are completely different. It's a farce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here