Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MARTLETS HOSPICE.help/advice needed

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Last night after a long protracted battle with cancer my mother passed away.
She spent the last 2 weeks in a wonderful place called The Martletts Hospice in hove.
The staff/nurses treated her like a friend and with great care to her and the rest of our family
35 years ago my parents introduced me to BHA.they spent many years as season ticket holders in the old North stand.Due to her health she never went to gilliham or withdean.
I now want to try and raise as much money as possible for the hospice,they are totally realliant on contributions,i know some of the lads have been involved lately with fund raising.
I am concidering ideas like purchasing shirts from different teams(or those with some kind of albion connection) and getting them signed before auctioning them,has anyone got any advice on wether clubs would get involved with this or any other ideas would be appreciated..
many thanks...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You could ask the club if you can do a collection at one home game ?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Firstly, sorry to hear about your mother. A good family friend of ours passed away there, and the staff at the martlets are wonderful.

I think its a really good idea, i'm sure the club know about the martlets, and would help you out - it's certainly worth a try anyway.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Is there anything set up where you can give donations as a christmas present to somebody? That would be a nice thing to do.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
god bless yer mum fella

our local boozer have an annual charity night for the martletts as one of the regulars was cared for there before she passed away, every year i manage to get hold of stuff to auction off (shirt, ball etc)
i usually approach one of the players who's a mate to get the gear for me

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
All my sympathies to you and your family, am very sorry to hear about that. I think I remember hearing that some of the ex Brighton players do a few games a year for various charities, so may be worth trying to get in touch with Fozzie or Byrne, as they nearly always play in them

Maybe it was just our very bad luck, but when my Dad passed away, he was there for 2 days, and he was treated very very badly. As it turns out by an agency nurse, who was dropped by her agency and never finished her shift, but still left some very bitter memories. Is a real shame as I've never before or since heard anything but praise for it.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
So sorry to hear about your mum Gasgull.

I'm not really sure exactly how exactly you can go about getting shirts etc but can only urge you to try and do all you can to support the hospice as they rely almost entirely on donations and, as you've sadly had to find out, they can be really vital in helping families at a very traumatic time in their lives.

Something I didn't know before my own diagnosis was that many hospices actually offer day-care and complementary therapies for anyone diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. This again can be a lifeline to those in need.

Most hospices have a fundraising department, you could possibly contact them and ask their advice, I'm sure they will be only too grateful for your support.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Sorry to hear about your mum.

But when clearing out my Great Nans flat we asked them if they could do a house clearance and to take it to sell and what not, and when we phoned them up there responce was, "What have you got?" we replied with a couch, they asked how old it was, 15 years, they said it was too old for them. Then they said they would come and see what they want, and leave what they don't. Surely they can't do that can they?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Sincere condolences to you and your family at this very sad time.

The Club were going to be hosting a collection for the Martlets Hospice tomorrow night - in fact there was a small article in Tuesday night's programme about the Hospice. However, following Sunday's tragic events this has been postponed until the New Year and tomorrow night East Sussex Fire & Rescue will be collecting for the families of the 2 firemen that died last Sunday.

Dave Amiet, a firefighter with East Sussex F&R, is on full-time secondment with the Club using football coaching to get the message across about fire safety to young children. One of the men killed was a very close colleague of Dave's.

I am sure both collections will be very well received.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a nice idea, re the shirts.

The only problem I think you might find is that a lot of the clubs (particularly Premiership ones) receive so many requests for shirts etc, that they're apparently becoming a little tight when it comes to donations.

I remember some guy trying to do the same thing, ie auction signed memorabilia (footballs I think) from every club in the league. Hardly any of the Premiership clubs even bothered to reply to his request, some of those who did asked him to pay for the items. It appeared that only clubs like Watford and similar seemed prepared to make the effort.

He did say that lower league clubs were generally much more willing to help. Sad sign of the times I guess?

I wish you luck anyway :wave:

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Thanks for your thoughts,
i hope to start some fundraising this week.I'll have bought 3 shirts,which Kuips is very kindly taking into training on tues to get signed and will auction them on ebay later in the week,1 keepers top signed by Micheal and Wayne,and 1 home,1 away signed by the whole squad.
Will advise when the auction is active and would appreciate if the word could be spread around various sites as more bids means more for the hospice.

thanks mark..

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
So sorry to hear your bad news. My Mum died at Copper Cliff Hospice, one of the forunners of th Martlets, and the whole family was treated so well byeveryone there. I do my bit each year by not sending Christmas cards but making a donation to the hospice instead. I know it'sonly a small contribution, but every little helps. Take care

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
My mum also died in Coppercliffe in 1994. words cannot express my gratitude towards their staff. Time really is a great healer for those that are left behind and my kindest thoughts are with you and your family at this ghastly time.
A few months ago I bought a copy of 'Build a bonfire' from their shop in Church Road. My own copy cost me megabucks on ebay. This one cost me £2.50. I'd like to auction it & give the proceeds to The Martlets. Any offers? I live in Brighton & it can be collected personally. Cheques can be made payable to the Martlets Hospice.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Sincere condolences to you and your family, gasgull. There was a thread on here about Martletts the other day as I bought some goods for Christmas from their trading company and made a donation. I think a collection at the game sounds a good idea and would show how much the club care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here