Martin Samuel/ daily mail

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aug 23, 2011
Sorry but a contract is an agreement that if either part fulfils their side of the contract then so will the other. If one doesn't then the other is entitle to take action to cancel the contract. Thought that was common sense.

Yes i understand that, it was more how it was written that Poyet wanted to leave so the club acted first as was their RIGHT, nothing about breaches etc. so how is it their right to terminate the contract?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What is important from a club point of view is that Poyet is not being seen as the victim in the media

Cue ROSM saying what a PR disaster the club have suffered (UNTRUE).

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Sorry if fixtures. Piece by Samuel in the mail.

Gus Poyet has been angling for an upgrade from Brighton and Hove Albion for some time now. That is his prerogative. There is no problem with a man being professionally ambitious. Given the option of waiting like some sad sack to be dumped, however, a proud club instigated a split. Again they had every right. All that jars is Poyet's subsequent sense of insult and injury. The club gave their ring back first. What were they to do, wait to come home to the note on the mantelpiece and half the furniture gone?

Good way of putting in Mr Samuel !!!

exactly what I heard, Gus had been looking to get out all last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes i understand that, it was more how it was written that Poyet wanted to leave so the club acted first as was their RIGHT, nothing about breaches etc. so how is it their right to terminate the contract?

It is their right, if, and only if, he is in breach of contract. Put some faith in the club FFS.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Typical daily mail really. Its not really as straight forward as that as contracts are involved. If you sign a contract you don't have a RIGHT to choose a split without recompense. And using a divorce analogy is pretty lame as how many divorces are sorted by just giving the ring back.

Er, wasn't it Poyet who said last season that contracts don't mean anything?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This article is written 100% in the stance that Gus was suspended because he was trying to engineer a move from the club.

As I don't know the reason for his suspension, like most on here, I can't POSSIBLE agree or disagree with Samuels statement.

Aug 23, 2011
It is their right, if, and only if, he is in breach of contract. Put some faith in the club FFS.

Please read what i said again. I wasn't criticising the club, stop looking for things that aren't there with your over the top pro-club agenda. All i said was the mail was oversimplifying and making light of the situation and being disingenious with their article. I was criticising the article or is that not allowed as it agrees with the club?

Aug 23, 2011
Er, wasn't it Poyet who said last season that contracts don't mean anything?

I don't know to be honest however it would have most likely been tongue in cheek and he wouldn't be the first manager to mention that contracts don't mean much. Look at how much control players have, if they decide they want to leave a club then they leave in almost every circumstance

Aug 23, 2011
This article is written 100% in the stance that Gus was suspended because he was trying to engineer a move from the club.

As I don't know the reason for his suspension, like most on here, I can't POSSIBLE agree or disagree with Samuels statement.

yes however is looking for another job a breach of contract? i don't know about football but in the "real" world it isn't

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
yes however is looking for another job a breach of contract? i don't know about football but in the "real" world it isn't

I work in the"real" world, In my contract I am in breach if I talk with prospective employers without notifying my current employer first, would have thought that was standard with most employment contracts

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I work in the"real" world, In my contract I am in breach if I talk with prospective employers without notifying my current employer first, would have thought that was standard with most employment contracts

No, I could look for another job, have interviews and not say a thing to my employer. My previous employment which lasted for 25 years was exactly the same.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
No, I could look for another job, have interviews and not say a thing to my employer. My previous employment which lasted for 25 years was exactly the same.

In my contract it's in the section with covers misconduct etc, I work for a fairly large corporate company so not surprised they have that in the contract

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I know of a few people in pretty well paid big company jobs who have gone for an interview elsewhere and then if they received a better financial offer used it as a bargaining tool to try and get more money out of their current employer. I'm surprised they would do that if it puts them in breach of contract and these are fairly decent jobs in the City that I am talking about.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I know of a few people in pretty well paid big company jobs who have gone for an interview elsewhere and then if they received a better financial offer then used it as a bargaining tool to get more money out of their current employer. I'm surprised they would do that if it puts them in breach of contract and these are fairly decent jobs in the City that I am talking about.

If they get a better offer whats the worst the current employer can do- sack them, so they just take the better offer, to be fair even if there is a clause in your contract the answer is not to let your current employer know until you get an offer from elsewhere

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they get a better offer whats the worst the current employer can do- sack them, so they just take the better offer, to be fair even if there is a clause in your contract the answer is not to let your current employer know until you get an offer from elsewhere

This is true, so although it may be in their contract, if the employer wants to keep them he has to turn a blind eye presumably.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
PR 'expert' poster on NSC.

Hello b w . Snide digs back again I see? You didn't apologise the last time you got caught doing this. a bit of backtracking and subject changing. Oh well.

Just read what Martin Samuel said, he isn't saying anything that I and many others hadn't already said in as much as Gus going touting around and making daft comments is enough to want shot of him. But saying you want to better yourself isn't exactly a breach of contract. Saying stupid things may be.

There is a standard index to measure the positive and negative effects of a story and a media teams handling of it. It works on size of story, prominence, readership etc. the spat with the LMA and poor handling of the dismissal initial statement and follow up, gave the club a significant deficit. Despite some well placed and well written comments ( samuel's being one of them) and some very good recovery by he club ( the bloom interview was good, the barber email less so) they still have some catching up to do.

Just because they're getting it right now, it doesn't mean I and others aren't allowed to say they got it wrong initially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports