Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille perspective

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just had a quick read through the match thread on the OM equivalent of NSC. Obviously their message board is huge (125k members), but reassuring to see the similarities (!)....the thread consists almost entirely of posts bemoaning their players/team/manager. After the match it moves on to discussions about who they might face in the knock-out round (of whom they only really seem to think that Milan are worthy opponents!).

Not much on us, but I picked out a few posts - all in French, obvs, but hopefully easy to guess the meaning for non-linguists:

- Bref mérité pour de Zerbi : un vrai entraîneur
- De zerbi n’a pas insulté le foot et a respecté sa philosophie - C’est mérité
- Gilmour c'est vraiment un super joueur !
- Il me plaît ce Mitoma côté gauche...
- Jao Pedro 35 millions - Vitinha 32millions mais y a tellement plus de différence sur le terrain
- La différence de niveau entre Joao Pedro et nos attaquants...
- Ca se voit à l'oeil nu que le mec est plus talentueux que tous nos attaquants réunis
- Qu'est ce qu'il est bon ce Joao Pedro. Il nous a tué sur les deux rencontres.
- C’est sûr mais regardes Brighton, avec des joueurs pas connu, un entraîneur bon, arrive à en tirer le meilleur et surtout instaurer une vraie philosophie de jeu

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well deserved for de Zerbi: a real coach
- De zerbi did not insult football and respected its philosophy - It is deserved
- Gilmour is really a great player!
- I like this Mitoma on the left side...
- Jao Pedro 35 million - Vitinha 32 million but there is so much more difference on the pitch
- The difference in level between Joao Pedro and our attackers...
- It can be seen with the naked eye that the guy is more talented than all our attackers combined
- How good is this Joao Pedro. He killed us in both matches.
- It's sure but look at Brighton, with unknown players, a good coach, manages to get the best out of them and above all establish a real playing philosophy

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To save everybody piling into Google translate............

Edit: Never mind - somebody Google translated faster than I did!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are there threads about people leaving the game early, the French government imploding, the French Christmas TV schedule and 'Le Wordle' results?

What about fish puns?
The latter is Le Mot.
Fish puns would be lowering the BAR in LIEU

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Some of the football we were playing was 'putain de ridicule' - I can see how neutrals admired it, even they were on the wrong side of it.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
If we want fishy references, here's one from the comments on l'Équipe
  • Brighton c’est une belle station balnéaire anglaise où on mange de bons fish and cheaps
In the spirit of the original post, some reflections on the game from l'Équipe readers (picked out from several hundred posts)
  • Le score ne reflète absolument pas la différence de niveau entre les deux clubs; Brighton largement supérieur
  • Brighton meilleur techniquement , collectivement , tactiquement
  • Perdre 1-0 à Brighton na rien d'extraordinaire,ni de honteux puisque Brighton fait parti du meilleur championnat du monde
  • "Battu de justesse"...au niveau score et timing du but, certes, mais sinon, large domination de Brighton
  • Victoire méritée des Anglais, bien meilleure dans le jeu.
  • Bravo à Brighton! rien a dire sur ce match
  • Prendre une fiente de mouette à la 89ieme ça fait mal
    (in case Google Translate doesn't do it justice - "getting covered in seagull droppings in the 89th", that hurts")
  • Quand les mouettes anglaises volent haut, les sardines marseillaises risquent gros
  • iIs ont un très bon avant centre rapide et technique João Pedro que bien des clubs européens aimeraient avoir
  • Brighton rock (Sheer heart attack, Queen, 1974)
  • Victoire logique des anglais qui etaient nettement au dessus
  • Amis Marseillais, Brighton vous a volé votre devise, ils sont allés droit au but
    Droit au but / straight to the goal being OM's motto
And an awful lot of
  • Bravo Brighton
and
  • Mérité pour les anglais
plus plenty of slagging off the OM shirts :)

Last edited:

Just had a quick read through the match thread on the OM equivalent of NSC. Obviously their message board is huge (125k members), but reassuring to see the similarities (!)....the thread consists almost entirely of posts bemoaning their players/team/manager. After the match it moves on to discussions about who they might face in the knock-out round (of whom they only really seem to think that Milan are worthy opponents!).

Not much on us, but I picked out a few posts - all in French, obvs, but hopefully easy to guess the meaning for non-linguists:

- Bref mérité pour de Zerbi : un vrai entraîneur
- De zerbi n’a pas insulté le foot et a respecté sa philosophie - C’est mérité
- Gilmour c'est vraiment un super joueur !
- Il me plaît ce Mitoma côté gauche...
- Jao Pedro 35 millions - Vitinha 32millions mais y a tellement plus de différence sur le terrain
- La différence de niveau entre Joao Pedro et nos attaquants...
- Ca se voit à l'oeil nu que le mec est plus talentueux que tous nos attaquants réunis
- Qu'est ce qu'il est bon ce Joao Pedro. Il nous a tué sur les deux rencontres.
- C’est sûr mais regardes Brighton, avec des joueurs pas connu, un entraîneur bon, arrive à en tirer le meilleur et surtout instaurer une vraie philosophie de jeu
Not surprised they were pissed off with Gattuso. How many times so you see teams spoiling for a draw get caught some where near the end - it's almost like the unwritten law of football.

Yes we got lucky with the two woodworks but I think the weight of possession helped to create that luck.

They needed to be braver for top spot

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are there threads about people leaving the game early, the French government imploding, the French Christmas TV schedule and 'Le Wordle' results?

What about fish puns?
They have a poster called Le Crodouax proclaiming "Les garçons de Madame Brown" to be the best show to watch this Christmas.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well deserved for de Zerbi: a real coach
- De zerbi did not insult football and respected its philosophy - It is deserved
- Gilmour is really a great player!
- I like this Mitoma on the left side...
- Jao Pedro 35 million - Vitinha 32 million but there is so much more difference on the pitch
- The difference in level between Joao Pedro and our attackers...
- It can be seen with the naked eye that the guy is more talented than all our attackers combined
- How good is this Joao Pedro. He killed us in both matches.
- It's sure but look at Brighton, with unknown players, a good coach, manages to get the best out of them and above all establish a real playing philosophy
Thanks ….my CSE grade 5 French was struggling

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.

What about fish puns?
Oui!

L'épisode du jour de Noël de 'Mrs Brown's Boys' est attendu avec enthousiasme. Ou détesté

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here