Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Married couple's £200 tax break

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There are a lot of hard up families that will appreciate this. Will pay for the mobile phone bill of the five year old.

Better than paying for 2 packets of fags for someone on benefit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What next- tax breaks for C of E church goers?!

Tax breaks for those who receive jack sxxt from the government in any other way, but contribute to everyone else's handouts please?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In a marriage every child born is presumed in law to have been fathered by the husband - the husband has the right to have his name put on the birth certificate whether or not he is the father and whether or not the wife wants his name on the certificate - this means the father has real rights under law as well as responsibilities that can't be disputed, unlike with children orn to an unmarried couple.

I did not know this. However, I hardly see this as a beneficial right that a man is entitled to be named as the legal father of child that his cheating wife had by another man.

As for married couples staying together, it's true; they often do last longer together. Although, they often stay together even though they absolutely hate way other, which I believe can have a more damaging effect on kids than 2 parents that split up and are able to live new lives separately but amicably.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Tax breaks for those who receive jack sxxt from the government in any other way, but contribute to everyone else's handouts please?

Mid 30s, childless, healthy, non-smoking, full-time employed, unmarried man's tax allowance.

I LIKE the sound of that!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I did not know this. However, I hardly see this as a beneficial right that a man is entitled to be named as the legal father of child that his cheating wife had by another man.

As for married couples staying together, it's true; they often do last longer together. Although, they often stay together even though they absolutely hate way other, which I believe can have a more damaging effect on kids than 2 parents that split up and are able to live new lives separately but amicably.

I think the point is that the husband in a marriage has parental rights whether or not the wife disputes the fact that he is the father and whether or not he actually is the father.

I would agree that a child brought up lovingly by a single parent can often have a better childhood than one brought up in an unloving two parent family - it is however also true that in general the child brought up by a single parent requires greater state financial support than one brought up by a couple. Financially therefore it makes sense for the government to encourage marriage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Financially therefore it makes sense for the government to encourage marriage.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to encourage marriage based on love and a shared being, not a tax break.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Call me old fashioned but I prefer to encourage marriage based on love and a shared being, not a tax break.

I don't think it's should be seen as being about rewarding or encouraging marriage, what this will do is start to rebalance the income required for a couple to have the same overall income as a lone parent. It is aimed at low income families, who currently have to earn a lot more money to have the same amount in their pocket after deductions & that doesn't take into account there are two adults to feed & cloth. What about couple who cohabitate? I’d guess that would be open to abuse & fraud so they have to be excluded.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It worked well before. Some of you seem to think this is something new.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Cant believe you needed to explain that but...this!!

That would be true - if total tax take equalled total government spend. How Utopian it would be if this was the case.

There are all sorts of different tax breaks and allowances available - just because you don't qualify for one, whilst someone else does, doesn't mean you are being penalised.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That would be true - if total tax take equalled total government spend. How Utopian it would be if this was the case.

There are all sorts of different tax breaks and allowances available - just because you don't qualify for one, whilst someone else does, doesn't mean you are being penalised.

So how is this being paid for seeing as you seem to be in the know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here