Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marney turns down a move to Weymouth

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Claridge wants to sign a new front man to replace himself in the Dr Martens Premier Division leaders line-up and revealed he had been foiled in a swoop for Brighton and Hove Albion youngster Daniel Marney.

The player manager admitted he was disappointed not to land Marney, who impressed during a loan spell at Weymouth's title rivals Crawley Town earlier this season.

Claridge said: "Dan Marney is a player who I've known for quite a while and is an excellent prospect. He impressed a lot of people while at Crawley and is exactly the sort of player I want with us.

"He is out of contract at Brighton at the end of the season and I hoped to bring him in on loan while I served my suspension.

"I'd held talks with Brighton manager Mark McGhee and the signs looked encouraging that Danny would be joining us for at least the short term, if not longer. But unfortunately the lad had a change of heart at the last minute which is a major disappointment.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Good to see the lad saw sense. I think he'd have gone down in peoples thoughts at Crawley if he'd gone to Weymouth, even if it was just for a month.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Weymouth are flying. Claridge is an excellent pro / manager and Weymouth are top of the league getting gates over 1000. I would have thought it would have been an excellent choice for 1st team football as he would have learned a lot in a winning team. From what I have of the lad he is GM Vauxhall at the moment and he needs to realise his limits.

Also Weymouth is a lovely town !.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Agreed with Gareth Glover on this one, imho Marney will never make the grade with the Albion and would of done him good to go out and play regular football.

so what if it upsets people that he has already played for Crawley, as we all know there is no loyalty anymore and a player has to do what he wants to do.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Crawley wanted to take Marney on loan before Christmas but McGhee put a block on it saying no-one was going out over the Christams period.

Having spoken to Marney at the Broadfield Stadium since his loan spell ended I know that he'd like to play for Crawley again if thinks don't work out at Brighton.

At the moment we've 2 loan players (the max our league allow at one time), but they are due to finish in a fortnight. If he's happy to go out on loan then perhaps he'll be back at Crawley before long?

As for Weymouth flying? You sure GG? 3 points ahead of Crawley in second is hardly flying.

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Crawley Boy said:

As for Weymouth flying? You sure GG? 3 points ahead of Crawley in second is hardly flying.

Why does only being 3 points ahead of Crawley not constitute flying? Top of the league is top of the league!:p

Come on you Terras!

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Probably because before Christmas they were 8 points ahead of Crawley. A couple of weeks and the gap closes.

8 points may be deemed as flying, 3 I consider not.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
When Weymouth played Crawley the other weekend, didn't Crawley have their keeper sent off? They then put the left back in goal who saved a penalty from Claridge and Crawley went on to win 1-0.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
When Weymouth played Crawley the other weekend, didn't Crawley have their keeper sent off? They then put the left back in goal who saved a penalty from Claridge and Crawley went on to win 1-0.
That'll be right. :clap2:

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Yes - and i don't need reminding about it either!:angry:

We did however beat Dorchester 8-0 on Boxing Day and Lewes 8-5 last Saturday.:D

Last edited:

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
with the older players its a hard choice you don't want another kitson situation on your hands but they can still do a job at this level so with them its how the season pans out really.
marney is much the same as wilkinson you really wanted them both to do well but its down to them to show thier worth and he really has'nt taken his chance imho

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I will be annoyed if Marney is allowed to leave. I think he is a bright prospect and a good player and hope the Albion give him another contract.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
GUNTER said:
I will be annoyed if Marney is allowed to leave. I think he is a bright prospect and a good player and hope the Albion give him another contract.
He is 22 already. I'm sorry but Beazer Premier is his level. He doesn't score many goals either.
All clubs make mistakes. We released Ifill and Rodger at 17. But Marney hasn't done it when he's had his chances as a sub.

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Crawley Boy said:
Probably because before Christmas they were 8 points ahead of Crawley. A couple of weeks and the gap closes.

8 points may be deemed as flying, 3 I consider not.

Well done Robbie Pethick - scores on his Weymouth debut and the flying Terras move 5 points clear of Crawley

1 Weymouth 24 6 4 3 23 11 7 4 0 23 9 47 26
2 Crawley Town 24 7 4 2 25 13 4 5 2 16 14 42 14

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If OGH keeps playing badly, then Dan Marney may yet get another chance to shine... keep him on the books I say...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here