Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Mark Robinson to leave Sussex to coach England Women

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Very unfair. Robbo's done a good job for Sussex, we've consistently punched above our weight and he's a highly regarded coach. I think last season was one too many and it was time for a change but reckon he'll do well with the women's team

I respect your opinion. But I'm not a fan, in MY opinion not only has his team selection on various occasions been left wanting, but he doesn't appear to have a clue how to motivate. This past two seasons we have left the traps flying, and been leading the field after the first four games or so. Then gone virtually the rest of the season without a win. Our final match last season, really said it all. Another match where we conjured up defeat from the jaws of victory. It's I accept hypothetical to say that if Adams had been in charge the outcome might have been different. Simply because he is a winner, and like much in life winning becomes a habit. I'm disappointed he's not been installed as Robinsons successor. I have my views of cricket hierarchies, from the MCC downwards and their distaste of sharing power.
Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2016.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I respect your opinion. But I'm not a fan, in MY opinion not only has his team selection on various occasions been left wanting, but he doesn't appear to have a clue how to motivate. This past two seasons we have left the traps flying, and been leading the field after the first four games or so. Then gone virtually the rest of the season without a win.

That's just not true: we finished third in 2014. Like I said, it went wrong this season but you can't argue against his record. We're one of the poorest counties yet we've been in the top division for every season but one since he's been in charge. Not only that, we've won the title twice and finished in the top half regularly (as well as picking up a few trophies). That's not a question of opinion - that's an excellent record.

Maybe he's bored; maybe he's miffed that he didn't get the England job; maybe he's had a row behind the scenes; maybe he's got narked because Hull were relegated but this season didn't gel at all. The batting (apart from Wright, Machan and Brown) was poor and despite knowing that he was going to be without two or three bowlers pretty much all season, he didn't attempt to bring in any cover - it looked like he was going through the motions. I sat a few seats away from him at the Essex one-dayer towards the end of the season and he looked totally disengaged. It's probably best for both sides that he's moved away - I do think he's a good coach and the women are lucky to have him

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I respect your opinion. But I'm not a fan, in MY opinion not only has his team selection on various occasions been left wanting, but he doesn't appear to have a clue how to motivate. This past two seasons we have left the traps flying, and been leading the field after the first four games or so. Then gone virtually the rest of the season without a win. Our final match last season, really said it all. Another match where we conjured up defeat from the jaws of victory. It's I accept hypothetical to say that if Adams had been in charge the outcome might have been different. Simply because he is a winner, and like much in life winning becomes a habit. I'm disappointed he's not been installed as Robinsons successor. I have my views of cricket hierarchies, from the MCC downwards and their distaste of sharing power.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2016.

If you know Robbo well enough to talk to him, he would tell you, and I believe him, that the captain had the final say on team selection.
Yes the coaches, management would have a team selection meeting, but Joyce had the final say.
The important thing is that Joyce is no longer captain IMHO.
Robbo is now director of cricket, but in my opinion, they have missed a trick and John Lewis should have been made head coach.
Davis would have been gone if he had landed the Sri Lankan job last year or was it the year before

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We're one of the poorest counties yet we've been in the top division for every season but one since he's been in charge. Not only that, we've won the title twice and finished in the top half regularly (as well as picking up a few trophies). That's not a question of opinion - that's an excellent record.

We might well be one of the poorer counties in Division 1. NO WAY are we one of the poorer counties if you include the likes of Derby, Northants, Gloucs, Worcs, Leics, Kent and even Essex. So we should be something of a yo yo side. I agree that the club have over-achieved over the last 14 years but we certainly should be aiming for promotion and better one day performances next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here