Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGee chief scout?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am sure there is an element of truth in that, but our facilities will definitely play a part as well.

To a point, as it kind of reflects our ability to pay too much :)

But ultimately if one club with a lesser training ground offers a £1000-£3000 more per week, then it is surprising how the training ground becomes slightly less relevant to that player.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Mark Mc Gee wasn't the one who recommended Murphy to Brighton. Hughton was aware of Murphy for years and Ewan Chester was probably the one who convinced him about Murphy.

I have a feeling Jamie might have asked Mark about Brighton because Mc Ghee would have been manager of Motherwell for a couple of years while Murphy was there

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
within the village of football a 'good reputation' generally means an opportunity to get paid higher than what you are worth.
Well if you cannot pay above their worth, then those within the game generally will not bother recommending that club if you have other options.
To a point, as it kind of reflects our ability to pay too much :)

But ultimately if one club with a lesser training ground offers a £1000-£3000 more per week, then it is surprising how the training ground becomes slightly less relevant to that player.
Are you on a massive come down or something?

I don't believe that those within the game just recommend clubs that pay the most, they will also recommend clubs that treat their staff well, have good facilities, have a reputation for giving young talent a chance, and a reputation for not holding players back when better opportunities come.

The training facilities might not count for much if another club offers £3k a week more, but that doesn't mean we have to pay more than the player is worth, just match (or get close to) what the player is worth.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I always think McGhee talks really well about his time at the Albion and gets given short shrift (unfairly, in my opinion) by a lot of fans. He's always really positive about us as a club and clearly has very fond memories. It's good to see that he uses his influence in our favour too!

Anyone drinking pints of whisky deserves respect. Good man.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Are you on a massive come down or something?

I don't believe that those within the game just recommend clubs that pay the most, they will also recommend clubs that treat their staff well, have good facilities, have a reputation for giving young talent a chance, and a reputation for not holding players back when better opportunities come.

The training facilities might not count for much if another club offers £3k a week more, but that doesn't mean we have to pay more than the player is worth, just match (or get close to) what the player is worth.

Do me a favour, I just dont jump up and down and squeal with delight about how unique we are and that players will come on the back of that..

Of course there are many reasons a particular club will seem a good move for any player, management, facilities, prospects etc, but ultimately all those facets are dictated by money, it was a light hearted swipe at you and others that think players, agents, representatives and ex managers recommendations are not driven ultimately by the money that can be demanded.

You acknowledge the £3000 per week as perhaps a likely 'club changer' as if this in the grand scheme of things is such an unlikely overpay by any club, its chicken feed in the grand scheme of things, so I still suspect he has gone for the highest bidder that also happens to have a great infrastructure.

In someways everything is interlinked, transfer fees, management it's staff quality and quantity, facilities, stadium, playing squad, potential etc etc, I just happen to be highlighting the brutal financial aspect rather than the 'we are a special club', its something to celebrate to be honest.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've got a lot of respect for Mark McGhee. He was a great manager for us and that promotion season was fantastic. I'll always be grateful to him for that.

I've always thought that as well but seeing on this thread that he also puts up with being stalked by HB&B without resorting to violence elevates him to sainthood in my eyes :angel:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do me a favour, I just dont jump up and down and squeal with delight about how unique we are and that players will come on the back of that..
Nor do I.

Of course there are many reasons a particular club will seem a good move for any player, management, facilities, prospects etc, but ultimately all those facets are dictated by money
Of course they are, but that's not what we're talking about. There's a difference between choosing a club based on how much money it's spent on its facilities and manager, and purely on the salary that player will receive. When fans say a player has moved for the money they are specifically referring to the amount the player will get paid, not how much the club has invested elsewhere.

it was a light hearted swipe at you and others that think players, agents, representatives and ex managers recommendations are not driven ultimately by the money that can be demanded.
We're well aware of how big a deal money is to a player :rolleyes:

You acknowledge the £3000 per week as perhaps a likely 'club changer' as if this in the grand scheme of things is such an unlikely overpay by any club, its chicken feed in the grand scheme of things, so I still suspect he has gone for the highest bidder that also happens to have a great infrastructure.
So you've moved the goalposts then. First you said a club with a lesser training ground could get the players for £1k - £3k more, now you're saying they also need a great infrastructure. Not that it makes any difference, because I said we might have to match wages and pay the going rate, but we wouldn't have to pay more than the going rate.

I just happen to be highlighting the brutal financial aspect rather than the 'we are a special club'
Like we don't all know that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you've moved the goalposts then. First you said a club with a lesser training ground could get the players for £1k - £3k more, now you're saying they also need a great infrastructure. Not that it makes any difference, because I said we might have to match wages and pay the going rate, but we wouldn't have to pay more than the going rate..

'Happen to have' isnt the same as 'also need' ....... in fact its totally different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here