Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson miracle run and goal at the Goldstone

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We hadn't played Wolves in the league until 1979 I believe and we went on to win the next 8 or 9 league meetings, home and away.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great goal, probably the best I've seen from an Albion player (didn't go to Brentford when Nels scored *that* one) - Lawro just strolled through the Wolves team as if they weren't even there. It was also an absolutely fantastic game. It was an evening kick off on a freezing night in January, as the original tie had been postponed because of snow. They were in the top flight at the time, with a very decent team. We lost 3-2 but were all over them at the end - remember their keeper (Paul Bradshaw?) making some brilliant saves - but we just couldn't score. One of the few occasions I've seen us lose but still went home (relatively) happy because it was a such a superb match.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Remember it well, brilliant goal, one of the best solo goals I'd ever seen. Great game overall as well. The match itself had originally been scheduled for the Saturday and had been postponed, and as at the time we were doing well at the top of the 2nd division and Wolves were struggling at the bottom of the 1st the Pools Panel had it down for a 'home win'. Sadly we lost (3-2 from memory), but I remember one headline the following day just said 'Panel Beaters'. Dunno, why that's stuck in my head.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great game.

Remember the Lawro goal very well, however I also remember Steve Daley being outstanding for Wolves..... Bradshaw had a great game, I think he may have played in the England U21s with Peter Ward.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bradshaw had a great game, I think he may have played in the England U21s with Peter Ward.
It was him, then... Kept thinking it was Phil Parkes, but he had left Wolves by then. Bradshaw was outstanding at the end - we were just bombarding their goal. One of the best Albion games I've been to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here