Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Duggan "Lawfully Killed" According to Jurors

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good point. I've brought all my kids up not to be Brazillian electricians and travel on the underground or to carry a chair leg during the hours of darkness or to get pissed and wander passed any psychopathic riot police during a nearby demonstration.

:facepalm:

Nice to compare the very regrettable death of De Menezes with that of Duggan, a man suspected of involvement in murder, whose gangland uncle was murdered and as someone else aluded to, whose best friends are banged up for murder and attempted murder and, of course, a man who, moments before being shot had an illegal firearm. As for Stanley, he was a convicted armed robber and the police were responding to a report he had a gun in a bag. Regrettable but not on the scale of De Menezes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably. If only it was just gun-carrying cowards that got killed by the police before they closed
ranks and fed the public and the press with all manner of bullshit then I'd maybe even be inclined to agree with you.

Where did that mysterious gun come from, and do you know more about this than the jury?

Away from the normal world you live in, paying taxes, being considerate to others and not breaking the law, there is section of society including Duggan who selfishly thieve others hard-earned property, peddle drugs, avoid contributing to society in any positive way, and have no qualms about maiming or killing anyone who gets in their way. The Police have the unenviable job of dealing with this scum, and they have the support of most law abiding folk.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Where did that mysterious gun come from, and do you know more about this than the jury?

Away from the normal world you live in, paying taxes, being considerate to others and not breaking the law, there is section of society including Duggan who selfishly thieve others hard-earned property, peddle drugs, avoid contributing to society in any positive way, and have no qualms about maiming or killing anyone who gets in their way. The Police have the unenviable job of dealing with this scum, and they have the support of most law abiding folk.

Bang on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do have a slight aversion to gun toting maniacs I'm not sure that makes me a childhater? I love kids, have many nieces and nephews and friends children that I love to bits. I like 'em. I like sharks too. I don't have any of those either.

You like looking at sharks ? Ok. I suggest a Bala then. Very small, easy to keep.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Duggan illegally carried a gun, and paid the ultimate price for this. Unless he was completely dim, he would have known the risks in this country of doing so, and so this was his call.
The "lovely person" the family knew, was in reality a coward, criminal and low life.

I hate the thought of punters carrying guns around for criminal motives or even just to glorify their standing among their peers, with the risk that eventually they may be tempted into using the gun

I am not a hand wringing liberal or delicate wall flower. I've seen enough harsh reality over the years to know there are punters out there willing to cause mayhem without giving a thought about the consequences. Meanwhile the Police have a very difficult job while rightly having to remain accountable. However I am uneasy that the outcome of the Duggan case showed he was not actually holding a gun when he was shot but was still lawfully killed by the Police. I can see how inevitable it is there will always remain a question over the verdict from some, especially within his own community.

I feel most law abiding punters would have a similar view to Weststander. Unfortunately at some point in his life Duggan lost the perspective that most have and crossed the line between reasonable behaviour and the sort of conduct i.e. carrying a gun that made it likely he was going to walk into some form of confrontation with the Police which would probably have only one outcome. He has to take most responsibility for the outcome. If he didn't have a reputation for carrying guns, it would not have happened.

I am mindful that there are loads of people in my rural part of the world who openly carry shotguns - but this is for country sports and they aren't trying to be bad boy gangsters. It's all about the attitude of the owners. I don't necessarily agree with them blasting the bird population just for fun but at least they are not being a danger to society and aren't getting challenged by armed Police.

However if you choose to carry guns around in an urban environment, acquire and develop a reputation for being a hard man, while openly glorifying drugs and violence it seems likely you are not carrying the gun for a spot of wildfowling. You are danger to yourself and others and have to accept you are walking a tightrope, and cannot moan about it when challenged by Police who don't know if are about to do a Raul Moat and have a split seconds to defend themselves and the public.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:facepalm:

Nice to compare the very regrettable death of De Menezes with that of Duggan, a man suspected of involvement in murder, whose gangland uncle was murdered and as someone else aluded to, whose best friends are banged up for murder and attempted murder and, of course, a man who, moments before being shot had an illegal firearm. As for Stanley, he was a convicted armed robber and the police were responding to a report he had a gun in a bag. Regrettable but not on the scale of De Menezes.

My link is the misinformation given out by the police and not the characters of these unfortunates after they have been killed. The actions of the police and then the follow up not anything else. Maybe the families of Hillsborough should have just let go. I mean they were drunken, thieving scousers weren't they ?

I even have sympathy for the copper who killed Duggan.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
This is how his two best friends murdered.

His family and supporters continue to insist Mark Duggan was a ‘peaceful’ family man who abhorred violence.

But this photograph suggests his links with the criminal underworld were far deeper than first thought.

Staring menacingly into the camera, the gangster poses with his arms around two dangerous criminals who are each serving long sentences for murder and attempted murder. As one police source said: ‘He lived by the gun.’

Below - Gangsters, Mark Duggan middle with Junior Cameron, left, and Darrell Albert, who are serving life for murder and attempted murder.

View attachment 50093

And during the four-month inquest into his death, a torrent of evidence revealed the 29-year-old was one of the most violent gangsters in Europe – and linked to ten shootings and two murders.

He was a senior member of North London’s notorious Tottenham ManDem gang, which traded in violence, intimidation and drugs.

In the eight years before his death, Duggan was repeatedly arrested over a raft of serious crimes, including murder, attempted murder and a range of firearms offences.
Duggan was repeatedly arrested over a raft of serious crimes, including murder, attempted murder and a range of firearms.

Despite this, his mother Pamela, 55, maintains he was a ‘lovely young boy’ who tried to keep peace.

Last night she refused to accept the jury’s verdict, claiming he was a peacemaker, was not in a gang and was no danger to the public.

It is a picture put forward by Duggan’s family and supporters ever since England burned during days of widespread disorder in the summer of 2011.

Back then, few knew of his association with some of the most feared criminals in Europe.

To Duggan’s right in the picture is Junior Cameron, a career criminal serving a life sentence for shooting a man after a minor prang between their cars.

Cameron pulled a semi-automatic pistol on Gary Guthrie in Streatham, South London, and shot him in the back as he tried to escape. The 39-year-old died in hospital.

Cameron committed the murder in October 2007 – six months after being freed early from prison. The man to Duggan’s left is Darrell Albert, who was in the same car as Cameron that night.

During the confrontation he shot Mr Guthrie’s friend Rowan Williams with a Baikal 9mm pistol – now the weapon of choice for gangsters.

Mr Williams, 37, took a bullet in the neck but it was removed by surgeons and he survived.

As for Duggan, he was arrested on suspicion of murder in October 2003 after a body was found next to a ditch in Tottenham.

Gavin Smith, 28, had been abducted by a gang and then knifed in the back 17 times. He died from multiple stab wounds that pierced his lungs. Duggan was released without charge.

Three years later, he was arrested for the attempted murder of Surkhan Hussein, a Turkish mechanic who lost a kidney after being shot.

The gangster was said to have shot a reveller in a crowded nightclub in Christmas 2010, and fired shots in a car park outside a club in February the following year. Again, he avoided court.

Jurors heard there were a number of ‘assaults, shootings and murders’ after TMD reignited a historical feud with the London Fields Gang.

TMD had a history of robbing rival drug dealers and turning up at nightclubs with guns.

But the wall of silence on the Broadwater Farm Estate in Tottenham, where Duggan lived, meant many murders and shootings remain unsolved. Last night one senior Met detective said ‘Duggan was a constant feature of briefings about the most dangerous gang members for months before his death.

‘There were regular intelligence reports of him having a gun, moving guns and the latest beefs he had with his rivals and supposed friends.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah the trial of Mark Duggan.............. When was that btw ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think we can say that justice was well and truely done yesterday, some people just can't handle the truth.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I know plenty of good people with high moral values whose children have been wrong uns. That is down here with all the advantages of coming from leafy, affluent Sussex. Growing up on places like the Broadwater Farm, Tottenham is a different world. You can install all the values you want into your kids in these areas but it may not matter one iota in the long run.
I must add I know nothing about Mark Duggans mother btw.
Complete and utter patronising bollox, plenty of people grow up in rough areas and don't end up like duggan.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Complete and utter patronising bollox, plenty of people grow up in rough areas and don't end up like duggan.

Quite right, and plenty of kids from good areas become complete scumbags. Anyway I'm not defending Duggan as a person, don't you get it ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My link is the misinformation given out by the police and not the characters of these unfortunates after they have been killed. The actions of the police and then the follow up not anything else. Maybe the families of Hillsborough should have just let go. I mean they were drunken, thieving scousers weren't they ?

I even have sympathy for the copper who killed Duggan.

In the case do De Menezes there was a lot of confusion as to what info came from Police and what came from witnesses. For example, it was said that he vaulted the ticket barrier but was subsequently shown that he used his ticket and the confusion may have been down to a witness stating that and not realising the person vaulting the barrier was in fact an officer.

Quite right, and plenty of kids from good areas become complete scumbags. Anyway I'm not defending Duggan as a person, don't you get it ?

Your comments would suggest otherwise, eg when was his trial, as if to suggest he was wholly innocent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i'd rather blokes like this got shot every day by our police, than some innocent person, be it father/mother/child got killed in the crossfire.

Or an innocent person got hurt or their business ruined in the following riots.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I get it completely , I didn't say you defended duggan, you attempted to use the area where he grew up as an excuse for his lifestyle, I commented that this was patronising bollox, clear enough for you ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
To quote William Munny

"You just shot an unarmed man"

"Well he shoulda armed himself".

If you throw your weapon away when being pursued by armed men you are pretty dumb. I suppose he thought everyone had to play fair in life except him. He won't make that mistake again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To quote William Munny

"You just shot an unarmed man"

"Well he shoulda armed himself".

If you throw your weapon away when being pursued by armed men you are pretty dumb. I suppose he thought everyone had to play fair in life except him. He won't make that mistake again.

Arrivederci Duggan. Harringey is a slightly better place without you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the case do De Menezes there was a lot of confusion as to what info came from Police and what came from witnesses. For example, it was said that he vaulted the ticket barrier but was subsequently shown that he used his ticket and the confusion may have been down to a witness stating that and not realising the person vaulting the barrier was in fact an officer.

Your comments would suggest otherwise, eg when was his trial, as if to suggest he was wholly innocent.

Ok move on from the incident where they put 7 bullets in his head and read up on the aftermath...... Death of Jean Charles de Menezes...it's on Wiki. These are the issues, not the actual incident.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ok move on from the incident where they put 7 bullets in his head and read up on the aftermath...... Death of Jean Charles de Menezes...it's on Wiki. These are the issues, not the actual incident.

The death of Jean Charles de Menezes was an issue where you should put your efforts to make sure it doesn't happen again.

This was someone reaping what they sow, nothing to get upset about. It is proven to be a lawful killing which will and should happen again in the same circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here