Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Duggan "Lawfully Killed" According to Jurors

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I for one am very glad for the verdict. It sends a message out that the police will shoot to kill and will vindicated in such situations. The guy was scum...

Should he have been shot yes... if the police office thought he was imminent danger... I really don't think there is much more to it. Moral of the story don't ****ing carry a gun... It's pathetic..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Saw the family on the channel 4 news stating that he was no angel but with his hands up and no gun he should have been arrested and charged and brought to trial. Like any of us should expect to be if we have done wrong. The police also lied and leaked lies to the press which is all in the jury's deliberations.

I can't agree with people on here saying if you commit a crime you should expect to be shot dead.

Couldn't agree more, especially about the "if you commit a crime, you should expect to be shot dead, bit.

There really is some ignorance and prejudice on here, on both sides, but those of a "let's hope a few more of them go the same way" type really make me wonder what sort of society people want.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If we just allow it to unchecked you can be pretty certain there will be more incidents like this. At the very least by keeping discussion public it might make them think a split second longer before they pull the trigger.

I hope the split second longer before they pull trigger doesn't result in innocent people dying because a policeman was frightened about using his gun.

The next time you find yourself in a gun fight, with heightened senses, adrenalin pushing your mind in ways you've never experienced before, I hope you'll make sure you have that "split second" to make a choice between life and death.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Couldn't agree more, especially about the "if you commit a crime, you should expect to be shot dead, bit.

There really is some ignorance and prejudice on here, on both sides, but those of a "let's hope a few more of them go the same way" type really make me wonder what sort of society people want.

A society where gangs don't police the streets. Again, no one has said that if you commit a crime you should expect to be shot dead. Overly dramatic and unnecessary but then you probably have your own agenda. The guy had a gun of which there seems to be no dispute or are you conveniently ignoring that fact?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the De Menezes case is a perfect example of why we should all be asking questions every time a copper shoots and kills someone. All the time Police are allowed to shoot and kill unarmed people and then use the get out of jail free card "I believed he was armed", innocent people are at risk of more tragic misjudgements.

If we just allow it to unchecked you can be pretty certain there will be more incidents like this. At the very least by keeping discussion public it might make them think a split second longer before they pull the trigger.

I think you will find that there is an investigation every time an individual is killed by the Police, it's called due process. It's 8 years since De Menezes so exactly how many police shootings have there been since then. Your comments could lead people to thinking this is a very regular occurrence. In the 12 years upto 1985 it was reported that 30 people died as a result of police using firearms. Last year for the first time in IPCC history there weren't any fatal shootings.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
An interesting decision that I'm sure will be debated for years to come. In real terms though, this young man liked guns and gang life. It is highly likely at some point he would have ended up either using a gun on an innocent bystander or on some other gang member thus setting off a load of retribution killings as these things tend to go. That's what happens when cocksure upstarts own weapons. By him now being dead a few lives have probably been saved.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
any death is not something to celebrate but Duggan had a gun, it wasn't a toy and he had it for some purpose that can only have been a dangerous one. Knowing that and with his past violence record, if he even flinched a muscle when stopped I am not surprised he was shot. If the police didn't know he had thrown the gun then quite entitled to assume it was on him still and therefore armed and dangerous. Pity there is no safe way to shoot to wound only but I'd rather the police took no chances when shooting then risk worse damage by acting softly softly. As for the family and he was an angel, never caused no harm, well that's the standard blinkered stuff that is always said. All this demand for a public enquiry stuff is simply to try and get some finding of fault for a compensation claim - I for one hope not a penny of public money is ever paid out, nor that any attempt is made to make the family and their 'associates' appear as some great champions of 'justice'...their view of justice, of law and order etc is summed up perfectly by the threats against the Jury, against the witnesses whenever said something they didn't like...Give it a few weeks and hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fair play to the family, they are calling for calm and no violence. They say they will however pursue their own legal route. Hmm, good luck finding a solicitor who would touch that case.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Fair play to the family, they are calling for calm and no violence. They say they will however pursue their own legal route. Hmm, good luck finding a solicitor who would touch that case.

And how will they able to fund that then? Going by their interview yesterday outside court they looked like they haven't a penny to rub together.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And how will they able to fund that then? Going by their interview yesterday outside court they looked like they haven't a penny to rub together.

Despite what some people think legal aid still exists - ask John Catt.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Thought legal aid was for people who are accused of a crime? Didn't think legal aid was for anything and everything.

John Catt used legal aid to object to the Albion using Withdean.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
John Catt used legal aid to object to the Albion using Withdean.

Didn't know that and when I've tried for personal reasons I've been declined. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If this chap used legal aid then how is it possible when he lives in Withdean as all I see are houses worth millions. How on earth he qualified is beyond me.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Didn't know that and when I've tried for personal reasons I've been declined. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If this chap used legal aid then how is it possible when he lives in Withdean as all I see are houses worth millions. How on earth he qualified is beyond me.

It's measured against income and cash savings - sink your money into a property and be a poor pensioner and you get legal aid.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I doubt legal aid would be able to provide a solicitor good enough to bring this to a civil action. Even if they could, when they inevitably lose the case who is going to stump up the costs and damages? Nope, if I were them I'd chalk this one up to experience and move on.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Sell a bit more blow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here