Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Beaumont - Cycling The Americas

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I caught up with this last night, it was on BBC1 earlier in the week.

Mark Beaumont being the fella who broke the 'cycling round the world' record, is now going top to bottom of the Americas.

For bizarrely odd reasons I thought this would be a bit of an anticlimax, in a whole 'I've been round the world, oh there's nothing left to do' stylee.

Anyway the point to all of this being:-

The Yukon.

According to the voice over, it's 3 times the size of GB, with a population of just 30,000.

That's some seriously lonely cycling, once again, top work Mark.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I'm not sure about this, I mean the first series made for enjoyable viewing and I guess it is more of a travel programme than anythong else.

In terms of cycling achievement, the Tour De France is a more interesting and impressive feat of endurance. What is trying to prove exactly? Bit like Eddie Izzard, takes ages to jog/walk 26.2 miles a day, whatever.

It gets boring hearing about how tired he is and his horrific saddle sores etc.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Yukon.

According to the voice over, it's 3 times the size of GB, with a population of just 30,000.

It looks like being a great series covering some breathtaking terrain.

That stat you've put there is incredible. So effectively in the same area as the UK (60million inhabitants) the Yukon has 10,000. Immigration and landfill not such big issues...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Didn't watch it as after watching the Eddie Izzard thing every other challenge surely means nothing

FALGOB

Mar 1, 2010
I caught up with this last night, it was on BBC1 earlier in the week.

I'm not greedy, wouldn't want GB to be X'3 in size, but would love the population to be 30,000

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Didn't watch it as after watching the Eddie Izzard thing every other challenge surely means nothing

Dunno about that, I find reading your constantly negative posts and maintaining the will to live a huge challenge.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
He was on Radio 1 on a pretty much weekly basis reporting on how it's been going. Can't remember exact points, but he mentioned stuff like going through war zones, and other very dangerous places.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm enjoying reading Cycling Home from Siberia at the moment.

Mr Statbrother - Did you see this?

BBC Sport - Cycling - Riders injured in massive crash

Blimey BoF, that's a nasty one.
I should imagine I'll be doing much the same, when I give track cycling a go, in June. (I can't even put a lol there just in case I do).

I'll look out of that book, too.

In the meantime I will just have to while away the time, listening to your guest appearance on Roar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talking of cycling (HB&B) they'll be some really dangerous stuff on BBC1 tonight at 10:30, as Mark goes through Central America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here