Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mark Beard new Eastbourne Borough fc Fulltime Coach

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Yeah the league varies massively. The 250/300 will be what Aveley/Taunton and a few teams will pay. The upper scale is definitely tipped with Yeovil coming down as well as Maidstone and Torquay. Dartford also pay quite a bit.
You'd be massively surprised at the levels of pay at certain clubs from step 5 upwards..
A side relegated from step 4 last season allegedly had an £8.5k per week budget

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
You'd be massively surprised at the levels of pay at certain clubs from step 5 upwards..
Undoubtably. As I mention, there is always a few that will have more that skew the average and some that won't pay much at all. You also get a few who coincidentally start a new job at the owner's firm when they sign on too.

'Amateur' football here in The Netherlands is also hardly amateur. Third/fourth 'amateur' division football here is sometimes better paid than second division. I've played at a high level here and would receive a match fee above board and extra cash in hand/vouchers for various things below board.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
it will vary massively between players and squads.

I Know several players at clubs the level below who are on around £250-£300 a week. So I based on the I would expect wages to be in the region of £300-£700 for a first team player. now they are going pro probably a bit more.
Just seems madness to me. Some of these clubs gates are a few hundred. Maybe I am jealous. I played at this level and was given my petrol expenses after training on Thursday.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Really not going well for Beard at Borough.
Squad is injury ravaged, and sit at a lowly 18th.
Clubs below have all played fewer games too.
Relegation seems like a real possibility, despite going full time and investing in a new squad.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
surprised to see them struggling so much as there is some real talent there

Yeah, the season started with such optimism too. New ambitious owner, new coach, plenty of new players. It just hasn't worked out for them.
It happens - same with Crawley last season, a lot of gambles involved in starting completely afresh - a more realistic timetable is 2-3 seasons to see a return

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Relegation seems like a real possibility, despite going full time and investing in a new squad.
Can't sign extra players because their players are on Full Time contracts, and therefore can't take decent talents from the division below because they don't want to go full time. Charlie Walker who played for them last season now at Whitehawk, banging them in, presumably left because he didn't want to commit to full time. A hybrid model would suit them a lot more.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I read they have just taken on Marc Anderson to help with their talent spotting. A bit of a coup given some of the players he discovered for us, plus the likes of Raheem Sterling.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Better than Havant though, who are full time and currently sit bottom with 6 points from 17 games!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Would also like to point out the players haven't been good enough either. They have dominated some games, but the club has definitely regressed from last season. Defending is shocking too.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately football wise Beard is way out his depth, he talks a good game (don't we all), but its clear this job is way beyond his capabilities.

I don't think having an owner whose more David Brent than Ricky Gervais helps.

Maybe they should have stuck with the previous boss, Danny Bloor, who clearly was doing a far better job than they gave him credit for?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Worthing currently operating on £10k a week, rumoured to need a home break even figure of 1300 every week.

Tough call when the Winter comes, with firesticks, Albion at home and live football on the Tv.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Eastbourne have 11 injuries out of a squad of 24 and others carrying injuries so bit early for making an accessment.
They wont go down but starting the fulltime model with half under 20 didnt help

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here