Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marijuana kills cancer cells, confirms US government.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The trouble is, if Marajuana is legalise, there will be many more people starting fights when intoxicated by this horrendous drug. People are just uncontrollable when stoned. A&E will be overflowing with people affected by this drug at the weekend and it will take up valuable police time. The police would be far better employed dealing with the odd person they find intoxicated by alcohol.

:D Very true.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is alcohol okay for the people you're working with?

Paranoia can also be triggered by alcohol, not just weed. Alcohol-psychosis is just as mentally challenging.

Rehearsing the age-old pre-prepared argument comparing use of marajuana and alcohol in response to my comments which were very specific to the theme of this thread does you a disservice. Can I now argue that alcohol might kill cancer cells? It would be lazy and inaccurate.

I don't disagree that weed can have some benefits. My argument is that uncontrolled the negatives for some/many users can greatly outweigh those benefits. I might just as easily make the same comments regarding alcohol but that isn't the subject of this thread ???

FWIW my personal preference is to legalise marajuana but strictly licence and tax it's sale as heavily as alcohol. I would however make the possession and sale of some of the more virulent forms of skunk etc an enforceable criminal offence just as pure alcohol in order to try to break the culture created by the currently failed legislation

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Rehearsing the age-old pre-prepared argument comparing use of marajuana and alcohol in response to my comments which were very specific to the theme of this thread does you a disservice. Can I now argue that alcohol might kill cancer cells? It would be lazy and inaccurate.

I don't disagree that weed can have some benefits. My argument is that uncontrolled the negatives for some/many users can greatly outweigh those benefits. I might just as easily make the same comments regarding alcohol but that isn't the subject of this thread ???

or is it only illegal drugs, like Cannabis, that get the health warnings?

Curiosity, that's all. Sorry if I've offended you in anyway.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Ive smoked for many, many years, and have met, and obviously known many smokers, in a range of professions, over the years in various countries. As yet, after 35 years or so, I can count one individual, who went off the rails, supposedly because of Marijuana, and even that was suspect. Marijuana isnt for everybody, some will suffer adverse affects, but I really dont believe it is many. It may highlight a previous condition, but so would any mind altering substance.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
One study should not mean that cannabis is legalised.....now matter how much anyone would want to be for any particular reason......But more work should be done on its possible medicinal properties.

My wife has a brain tumor. Two operations, 2 rounds of chemo and 1 course of radio therapy have failed to halt itsprogress......She is currently taking part in a phase 1 clinical trial for a drug derived from Olive Oil......

How I would love to see other treatments, including any cannabis related ones, that would keep her around for a few more years yet......

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
One study should not mean that cannabis is legalised.....now matter how much anyone would want to be for any particular reason......But more work should be done on its possible medicinal properties.

My wife has a brain tumor. Two operations, 2 rounds of chemo and 1 course of radio therapy have failed to halt itsprogress......She is currently taking part in a phase 1 clinical trial for a drug derived from Olive Oil......

How I would love to see other treatments, including any cannabis related ones, that would keep her around for a few more years yet......

Sad to hear that mate. I hope the very best for your wife. It must be awful for her and you.

Goodluck x

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

or is it only illegal drugs, like Cannabis, that get the health warnings?

Curiosity, that's all. Sorry if I've offended you in anyway.

Alcohol and nicotine adversely impact health but are tolerated by governments for two reasons.

One is that their restriction is nigh on impossible.
The other is that they generate massive revenues.

I would treat marajuana in the same way and use licensing to generate revenues and to prohibit the more virulent varieties.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

... I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

They didn't have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true. It doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications.

We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that."

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent

--------

"I first began to look at marijuana as a professor of psychiatry at Harvard medical school in 1967…

I wanted to do something about all these young people who were using this terribly dangerous drug and perhaps if I could write a reasonably objective statement about this and get it published, in a vehicle which they would be interested in, maybe I could do something about it.

Much to my astonishment, here I was trained in science and medicine and had to discover that I had been brainwashed...

I first approached it [marijuana] from the point of view—you know—I was sure it was unsafe. Once I was convinced that it was safe, and satisfied my curiosity about it, it took me a number of years to realize what a remarkable substance it was.

It astonishes me that we can’t get around this prohibition. It’s like something is sacred about it. You can’t question it. You can’t bring any factual data to it…”

Aspirin is “safe,” although it claims between 1,000-2,000 people per year.

With cannabis, it’s been around for thousands of years. There has never been a death – never been a death.

Is there any other substance in the pharmacoepia about which you can make that claim? I’m not sure there is."

Lester Grinspoon, M.D. associate professor emeritus of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here