Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margate, Whitstable, Canterbury

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Avoid the Villa Bella Hotel in Margate. I went there on a jolly boy's outing some years ago and the landlady Mrs. Creswell was positively scary.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Turner Contemporary. And go soon as Grayson Perry has an exhibition on until a week on Sunday. Herr Tubthumper is a fan.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
I used to go to this restaurant in Canterbury regularly but it was about 10 years ago that I last went. Best Mexican food I ever ate, including stuff I had in Mexico itself. Used to be run by a Frenchman. Maybe another NSCer has been there more recently and can advise whether it is still as good

http://www.cafedez.com/

This. The owner (Bill) is very much English (attended Kings School Canterbury) and his wife (French) are terrific people. They own a Café des Amis here on Maui which serves excellent curries as well as Mediterranean fare. They take great pride and care with their food, and their business. In fact my son Duncan (Livingstone Jr.) worked there this summer before heading off to uni and he had nothing but great things to say about the staff, food, and set up. Their other place is a Moroccan restaurant near the cathedral and that was excellent as well.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
This thread got me thinking about this bloke who ran the Red Lion in Stodmarsh. Missus and I were puttering around Canterbury outskirts about 8 years ago and fell into this place. Robert, the landlord, was off his bonce in a very entertaining way, and the food was really good, if idiosyncratic.

Sadly it looks like he's sold the place, but the pub gets very good reviews although it looks much more precious. I remember the nature reserve in Stodmarsh being worth a look if you're into that. We cycled around the villages east of Canterbury, and most of them are lovely. As others have said, Sandwich is impressive.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
You can keep your Costa Brava, I'm telling you mate I'd rather have a day down Margate with all my family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here