Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margaret Thatcher Tax Snatcher?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why do you love the sentiment?More money for the Government to waste or what.Probably just the politics of envy that seems to thrive on NSC.
By the way,I may be wrong but hasn't Australia scrapped IHT?

I would like to see the fat cats who get the big bonuses and others with their snouts in the trough curbed. The people that rely on the worker and taxpayer to fund their existence (that does not include the genuinely disabled, pensioner, and genuine unemployed etc) curbed.
Yes there is a lot of envy, but it is the people that are contributing to the coffers of many of those that envy isn't it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why do you love the sentiment?More money for the Government to waste or what.Probably just the politics of envy that seems to thrive on NSC.
By the way,I may be wrong but hasn't Australia scrapped IHT?

I like the sentiment of looking after those in our society that need looking after. Helping those that need help and generally spreading the wealth a little more fairly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I would like to see the fat cats who get the big bonuses and others with their snouts in the trough curbed. The people that rely on the worker and taxpayer to fund their existence (that does not include the genuinely disabled, pensioner, and genuine unemployed etc) curbed.
Yes there is a lot of envy, but it is the people that are contributing to the coffers of many of those that envy isn't it.

Sorry Soulman,you've lost me .

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Firstly it's not £295k profit is it - you need to deduct inflation out of it. Even then, whatever profit there is isn't taxed if you decide to sell up while you're alive and then spend it. Yet the government will tax it if you die thanks to you working hard and being sensible. Sends out completely the wrong message.

100000000000000000000000000000000% this

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My assets do not belong to the state, they belong to me, and I reserve the right to minimise my obligations to the state in any legitimate way I can.

Otherwise we end up like Cyprus where any bank account becomes potentially open to theft by the state and for the state.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My assets do not belong to the state, they belong to me, and I reserve the right to minimise my obligations to the state in any legitimate way I can.

Otherwise we end up like Cyprus where any bank account becomes potentially open to theft by the state and for the state.

This.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

This.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Alternatively, when the government can't afford to run essential services because a) they don't collect enough taxes or b) they can't get a bailout because the international markets won't lend because they see your citizens can't be arsed to contribute!

The other point is that when you die, they are not your asssets any longer!!!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

But they're not the governments assets either - they are the assets of whom I choose - not who the taxman decides.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Alternatively, when the government can't afford to run essential services because a) they don't collect enough taxes or b) they can't get a bailout because the international markets won't lend because they see your citizens can't be arsed to contribute!

Scrap Trident and we'd easily save the £3bn raised by IHT.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Your first point is not relevant as that is a different argument. It is the duty of the state to arrange its revenue raising to ensure it raises sufficient revenues to run essential services. It is not my problem if it fails to do so - that is the problem of the state, and it should put its affairs in order to achieve this.

Second point - they are my assets and I decide what happens to them after I die. If I decide I want the state to have them, it can have them. If not, not.

PS. Having experienced how the state manages some those assets bequeathed to it, I wouldn't trust it with a penny.

:drama:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But they're not the governments assets either - they are the assets of whom I choose - not who the taxman decides.

Am I right in saying that you can give your house to your children, providing that you don't die within 7 years, then they're not liable for IHT?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Am I right in saying that you can give your house to your children, providing that you don't die within 7 years, then they're not liable for IHT?

I believe that is still the case at the moment. If you live in Scotland, then the property would not be used for care costs whoever owned it.....but that's a different matter. That applies to a care home costs....not sure re IHT

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Your first point is not relevant as that is a different argument. It is the duty of the state to arrange its revenue raising to ensure it raises sufficient revenues to run essential services. It is not my problem if it fails to do so - that is the problem of the state, and it should put its affairs in order to achieve this.

Second point - they are my assets and I decide what happens to them after I die. If I decide I want the state to have them, it can have them. If not, not.

PS. Having experienced how the state manages some those assets bequeathed to it, I wouldn't trust it with a penny.

Of course it's relevant, IHT forms part of the governments fiscal policy. The state is arranging its revenue to try and ensure sufficient funding for its policies and that includes IHT, CGT, VAT etc etc. You could abolish all forms of taxation except for Income Tax and we'd probably all be paying about 50% or there abouts. Your second point is not factual. The government do not take your assets, they just just take 40% of the financial value above whatever the threshold is at the time of your death.

As to you final point, what examples are you citing in respect of assets bequeathed to it?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

It is the duty of the government to arrange its revenue raising. It is a shame that so many governments feel the need to organise this in such a way that it is easy for those with means and influence to avoid paying their fair share.

People stated they will do everything they can to pay less tax. It is just a shame more people don't measure this in morality instead of legality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here