Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margaret Thatcher Tax Snatcher?

Feb 14, 2010
You seem to be assuming that I'm one of the bandwaggon jumpers that you are complaining about. I don't think I am. Like you, I judge politicians by the outcomes they achieve. What condemns Thatcher in my eyes is that she didn't have the vision to see the damage that her policies would inflict on whole parts of the nation and mitigate her policies accordingly. I like my politicians to be pragmatic. She wasn't.

I agree, in part, and I think Ireland was an example of this, although again, despite what people say, she did actually start talks with the republicans, albeit in secret. That full story has not been told. I dont think you are a bandwaggon jumper but many, many are, and many form a view depending on how trendy it is rather than trying to form a correct view. Its a growing problem. Like with most, I can find much I agree with but also things I disagree with also. I also think hat she really was not as important as people make out, the economy was geared towards an empire Britain didnt have any longer. the world had moved on and so this country had to move on also. As an aside, Lenin would have agreed with Thatcher on the importance of currency. Lenin said "there was no subtler way to overturning the basis of society than to debauch the currency" and so even people with very different views can agree with the fundamentals but disagree with the conclusions to reach. My irritation is the rubbish talked that "she closed this industry or that industry". It is also an irritation that people fail to mention the huge pay offs offered to miners. Nobody ever paid that sort of money to workers in agriculture. Bottom line is that Thatcher just stopped giving failing industries money from successful industries and whether people agree or disagree, I just bloody wish they would know what they are agreeing or disagreeing with!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Avoid as opposed to evade.

Someone who evades is acting immorally. Someone who does not avoid is acting illogically.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why bring wealth into it? It isn't about how much you pay, it is about everyone paying how much they can afford.

Disagree - it's about people paying how much is required. If you can lower what is "required" by legal means then that's fine by me. Regardless, I find IHT an immoral tax.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree - it's about people paying how much is required. If you can lower what is "required" by legal means then that's fine by me. Regardless, I find IHT an immoral tax.

It's not fair though is it, because this scheme Thatcher is supposed to have employed is only realistically available to the super rich. Just like Amazon, Starbucks etc not paying corp tax. Might be legal (just) but its unfair and on these grounds as well as others I disapprove.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It's not fair though is it, because this scheme Thatcher is supposed to have employed is only realistically available to the super rich. Just like Amazon, Starbucks etc not paying corp tax. Might be legal (just) but its unfair and on these grounds as well as others I disapprove.

There's plenty of people that can't afford to pay into an ISA so is it fair that those that can get a tax break ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's plenty of people that can't afford to pay into an ISA so is it fair that those that can get a tax break ?

I have to say your logic is a little warped. The same inheritance taxation should be accessible to everyone. Ditto with tax on savings. I think this is only fair.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The level was set when homes were still relatively less expensive but has remained the same so that a lot of houses in the south east now fall into this bracket.
I have a cousin with one offspring who will have to pay inheritance tax when they die. It is not even a big house.

The threshold is, for 2014, £325,000. If their share of the estate is left to the surviving spouse then there is no inheritance tax payable. When the surviving spouse dies, the IHT threshold is double. So, for example, say a father died 20 years ago and his spouse inherits all his estates. She then dies in the next year, the tax threshold will be £750,000, ie two times the individual threshold. How many homes do you think fall outside that amount?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The threshold is, for 2014, £325,000. If their share of the estate is left to the surviving spouse then there is no inheritance tax payable. When the surviving spouse dies, the IHT threshold is double. So, for example, say a father died 20 years ago and his spouse inherits all his estates. She then dies in the next year, the tax threshold will be £750,000, ie two times the individual threshold. How many homes do you think fall outside that amount?

It shouldn't matter as tax has already been paid on the income to buy said estate. IHT is immoral and disgusting regardless of the assets that are left.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It shouldn't matter as tax has already been paid on the income to buy said estate. IHT is immoral and disgusting regardless of the assets that are left.

That's one obscure way of looking at it. Another is the fact that a lot of people have accrued value in property purely for living there and doing nothing. Perhaps rather than IHT they should apply CGT instead so you don't pay anything on the value of the capital of your original investment! You could also argue that it is immoral to become rich through the hard work of your parents rather than your own endeavours!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That's one obscure way of looking at it. Another is the fact that a lot of people have accrued value in property purely for living there and doing nothing. Perhaps rather than IHT they should apply CGT instead so you don't pay anything on the value of the capital of your original investment! You could also argue that it is immoral to become rich through the hard work of your parents rather than your own endeavours!

If IHT took into account inflation when assessing property value then it would at least be a bit fairer. Why, because your property has increased in value but you happen to have the bad luck to die should you pay tax on it, yet if you move and use the increased value to get another property you're not ?

I work hard for me and my family - I don't appreciate the government stealing my money just because I leave it to my children why I die. I'd be better off pissing it up the wall than working hard and saving.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If IHT took into account inflation when assessing property value then it would at least be a bit fairer. Why, because your property has increased in value but you happen to have the bad luck to die should you pay tax on it, yet if you move and use the increased value to get another property you're not ?

I work hard for me and my family - I don't appreciate the government stealing my money just because I leave it to my children why I die. I'd be better off pissing it up the wall than working hard and saving.

That is my view too.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I agree as well. Inheritance tax was looked upon in the past as a tax on the wealthy, but now anyone who owns a decent house in the South East is getting close to being subjected to it.

The other thing of course is that your children, when inheriting your estate, are far less likely to be a burden to the state if they use the money sensibly.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Nothing wrong with this as long as its legal.

Tax avoidance is the legal usage of the tax regime to one's own advantage, to reduce the amount of tax that is payable by means that are within the law

I do it and will continue to do whatever I can, within the law, to reduce tax.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not at all. Schemes like this are part of her legacy. I would be SHOCKED if the Thatcher household managed its financial affairs like I manage mine.

You would have been very proud of me today I spent the 1st half sat with Attila but we did not talk politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here