A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I see Nicky Morgan was on Question Time last night complaining that someone had called the Government "Tory scum". To be fair, they'd just voted not to feed starving kids at Christmas, I think most people would say that the cap fits on that front.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I guess the phrase 'I didn't think Corbyn was a good choice as leader of the Labour party.' was a bit ambivalent. :ffsparr:

Anyway, pointless discussion now. He is not in power. The tories are.

The trouble is over my lifetime the demonisation of the left is such that any kind of policy framework that isn't about lowering taxes and reducing the state is considered 'hard left'. We have one of the lowest rates of Corporation Tax in the G20, but suggest putting that up and perhaps lowering VAT and you may as well carry your copy of Das Kapital around with you given the reactions by some.

You only have to flick through this thread on a subject about free school meals, not as a sudden policy shift to provide something that doesn't already exist, just to add the already provided provision for a few extra weeks during holiday times. No great transformation of the state's responsibilities, no sudden lurch away from existing welfare support, just in a time of crisis extending an existing scheme.

The vote this week was to just extend the free school meals into the October half term, 1 additional week. That was it as I understand it.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
For me a fair tax system isn't one in which people pay what they can afford, it's a system where everyone pays the same. I know that we will just have to disagree about that, and I know mine is a minority view, but it is what it is. Fairness for me is everyone being treated the same.
So if some people can't afford to pay anything no-one should pay anything?

It's also the case that if you want the public pot to be bigger, which means more of the things you want the government to do are affordable, then you are going to want tax revenues to be as high as possible. Which means you are going to want lower taxes. It's counter intuitive, but low taxes = more tax income for the treasury. High taxes = lower tax income for the treasury.
Not quite. There is a point at which increasing taxation rates will reduce income for a variety of reasons e.g. excessive tax reduces investment and damages productivity; excessive taxation means that the incentive to avoid or evade tax becomes greater and so on. It is defined by the Laffer curve and it is generally accepted that UK taxation has not reached the peak of that curve ie: increasing UK taxes would result in greater revenue.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nice deflection, I'm quite obviously referring to the part of your post where you say he would've done a better job in charge.

TBH an alcoholic squirrel on acid could do a better job. we have an utterly incompetent PM, thats is an irrefutable fact.

Corbyn is far from perfect but is intelligent and has a moral compass pointing the right way, most people dislike him for the simple fact he doesn't conform to their idiotic stereotypes.

I voted but not for either of the two big shits..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The trouble is over my lifetime the demonisation of the left is such that any kind of policy framework that isn't about lowering taxes and reducing the state is considered 'hard left'. We have one of the lowest rates of Corporation Tax in the G20, but suggest putting that up and perhaps lowering VAT and you may as well carry your copy of Das Kapital around with you given the reactions by some.

You only have to flick through this thread on a subject about free school meals, not as a sudden policy shift to provide something that doesn't already exist, just to add the already provided provision for a few extra weeks during holiday times. No great transformation of the state's responsibilities, no sudden lurch away from existing welfare support, just in a time of crisis extending an existing scheme.

The vote this week was to just extend the free school meals into the October half term, 1 additional week. That was it as I understand it.

Almost. It was to extend it to April 2021, so two holidays and two half terms.
Apparently they are to be given supermarket vouchers instead so can buy crisps instead of a hot meal. :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like Twitter or not MR's timeline really ought to be viewed.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford

It's now full of businesses stepping up for people who have been failed by their government.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Supermarket vouchers weren't the only route available, but it was also a situation where schools were completely closed. If schools remain open and operating, then what has happened even pre-Covid, is that certain schools become a hub, Benfield acted in this way last summer for a local authority scheme that did provide free school meals to certain pupils. The school facilitated this as they were already operating holiday clubs.

I also know one primary school head that during Covid did the rounds and delivered school meals to the eligible kids. I think he ended up walking 6 miles a day or something.

The great thing about school meals is that you have some control over the nutrition. As the article points out, as we've improved the school meal offerings, studies have shown obesity levels drop and achievement rises.

Having schools in control would seem the best option where possible. As you say, they have control over the nutrition which must be a benefit. Using certain schools as a hub makes sense as a child wouldn't necessarily have to go to their own school for this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For me a fair tax system isn't one in which people pay what they can afford, it's a system where everyone pays the same. I know that we will just have to disagree about that, and I know mine is a minority view, but it is what it is. Fairness for me is everyone being treated the same.

It's also the case that if you want the public pot to be bigger, which means more of the things you want the government to do are affordable, then you are going to want tax revenues to be as high as possible. Which means you are going to want lower taxes. It's counter intuitive, but low taxes = more tax income for the treasury. High taxes = lower tax income for the treasury.

Regulate and tax in excess and you will have lower revenues and a stagnant economy. If high taxes don't chase business away and discourage investment, then excessive regulation will.

The crisis of 2008 relates specifically to finance, and a discussion about regulations affecting business shouldn't be limited to a discussion about banking regulation which is quite a particular area, although it's also worth noting, deregulation didn't cause the financial crisis of 2008.

There is a lot to unpick here, but it's worth a read if you are interested in the relationship between the regulation of financial services and what happened in 2008.
https://www.cato.org/policy-report/julyaugust-2009/did-deregulation-cause-financial-crisis

The Cato Institute is only worth a read if you understand and accept it has long been a supporter and policy think tank for the Republican Party, that has been subject of the whims and subsequent lawsuits of it's founders the Koch Brothers (aptly named), and a major contributor to climate change denial as well., along with many other conservative driven agendas. As long as people read it knowing how biased it is, then that would be fair enough.

You can easily find evidence of tax takes as a % of GDP, and countries with higher taxes than the UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark, Finland...etc. all taking more tax revenue from their GDP than the UK. Germany as an example takes around 45%, the UK is more like 35%. Lower taxes = higher tax income simply isn't supported by evidence, it's and ideological trope that doesn't stand up to real world examples and comparisons that can be easily made.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Regulate and tax in excess and you will have lower revenues and a stagnant economy. If high taxes don't chase business away and discourage investment, then excessive regulation will.

The crisis of 2008 relates specifically to finance, and a discussion about regulations affecting business shouldn't be limited to a discussion about banking regulation which is quite a particular area, although it's also worth noting, deregulation didn't cause the financial crisis of 2008.

There is a lot to unpick here, but it's worth a read if you are interested in the relationship between the regulation of financial services and what happened in 2008.
https://www.cato.org/policy-report/julyaugust-2009/did-deregulation-cause-financial-crisis

But if you take that at a simple level a billionaire would pay the same as someone earning 20k . I do agree with the concept of fairness , if everyone believed the same the billionaire would realise he can and should pay more , the problem is people with wealth don't often think that way. You also then getting them directly or indirectly involved with making/influencing political decisions using their wealth to bypass the political process. Also begs the question are billionaires a tenable concept when children are going hungry through no fault of their own. No issue with hard work and no issue with the concept that people should take responsibility for their actions but when shit happens those who had their head just above water go below it, they don't rise with the tide they sink. Also familiar with the concept of the velocity of money, that more earning means more spending and that generates more earning all of which could be taxed. That velocity would be increased if the billions of pounds locked away were put in people hands with more people spending it...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Like Twitter or not MR's timeline really ought to be viewed.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford

It's now full of businesses stepping up for people who have been failed by their government.

It really is. And some on here, Tory MPs and the usual moronic trolls on Twitter should take a long hard look at themselves. He is the best of us and I have nothing but contempt for those who choose to attack him rather than support him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is there an opposition player you've admired more than this guy?

Absolute class, on and off the pitch as demonstrated yesterday. World class finish for Man Utd to win them the game, but his heart is with more important things. I'm just sorry to see his campaign flounder at the hands of this incompetent, corrupt government and I hope he continues the good fight.

In case you're unaware, the fact is that the corrupt, incompetent party running the country voted down an amendment not to make school meals, free. Quite happy to give £12 BILLION to a company run by Tory donors (rather than opening it to tender) to build this shit track and trace app despite having no experience in the field, or £1 BILLION to Northern Irish bigots purely to prop up their majority, but a few million to ensure no school kid starves in this pandemic, and apparently they're not made of money.

This government makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed to be English.

I'm really hoping this is the start of a revolution that either shames the Tories into acting with honesty and compassion or gets them out of power until they can. We all know they look after their own first and foremost. Despicable scum!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They'll never change M@goo . . . as long as people are selfish and stupid enough to vote for them. . . Sadly thats is a significant proportion of the population.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I guess the phrase 'I didn't think Corbyn was a good choice as leader of the Labour party.' was a bit ambivalent. :ffsparr:

Whenever people talk about Corbyn and his policies being 'hard left' I always remember this clip of Gyles Brandreth in Guildford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lsRbDKOXg

Anyway, pointless discussion now. He is not in power. The tories are.

That’s a good clip but of course it is how you load the question.......

Do you think that free broadband should be given to everyone regardless of ?????????

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
After a divisive few years it is finally refreshing to see a positive nationwide campaign that is borne out of empathy for our fellow citizens. What the government did the other day was quite frankly shameful with my revulsion compounded by their mealy-mouthed justifications for their inaction.

I'm not a fan of the honours system but Rashford's is thoroughly well deserved. Absolute top chap and a non too shabby footballer also.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
That’s a good clip but of course it is how you load the question.......

Do you think that free broadband should be given to everyone regardless of ?????????

Sure, but still, Gyles Brandreth! In Guildford! It stuck in my mind for those two reasons.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Bono does similar things for good causes, but he doesn't get the same reaction from a lot of people. Just saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here