Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] March and Lamptey

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fantastic news. Will be like the cliched two new signings.

We have missed them massively IMO with our preferred back three formation and have done really well considering, adding them to what is now a highly organised and slick side could be really exciting.

I've said it before, those two being out for us is the equivalent of Liverpool missing VVD and Gomez this season but the media won't talk about that like they do the Liverpool injuries.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lamptey already got a new deal in January (while injured) - not sure he needs another just because he is running on grass

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lamptey for sure. Absolute steal that we, er, stole him. March? A bit meh to be honest. One of those blows hot/cold players that we've seen plenty enough of

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fantastic news. Will be like the cliched two new signings.

We have missed them massively IMO with our preferred back three formation and have done really well considering, adding them to what is now a highly organised and slick side could be really exciting.

I've said it before, those two being out for us is the equivalent of Liverpool missing VVD and Gomez this season but the media won't talk about that like they do the Liverpool injuries.

Yup, this. Think Lamptey on his own would have resulted in 6-10 points more if he had stayed fit, he is that good. And March has been greatly missed in some of the fixtures this spring, the obvious momentum building up was slowed down significantly when he got injured.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Lamptey for sure. Absolute steal that we, er, stole him. March? A bit meh to be honest. One of those blows hot/cold players that we've seen plenty enough of[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not.
Sorely missed for the latter part of this season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We have tonnes of cover all up and down the middle of the pitch but none whatsoever on the flanks. Even Veltman, who has done brilliantly, I'm sure would have done even more brilliantly at right centre back.

We need to remedy this lack of cover in the transfer window.

The impression I get is that Tariq should be good for preseason. Solly, not necessarily

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Our lack of pace and movement in wide areas was making me want to stab myself in the leg with scissors on Saturday.

If we're going to get goals to get us to mid table, we need much more pace, dynamism and willingness to take risks. These two offer that

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Lamptey for sure. Absolute steal that we, er, stole him. March? A bit meh to be honest. One of those blows hot/cold players that we've seen plenty enough of[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not.
Sorely missed for the latter part of this season.

I have to agree he was badly missed as offers balance to the left hand side which we didn’t have without him. Whether there is a better option out there that first within the budget mins remains to be seen.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lamptey for sure. Absolute steal that we, er, stole him. March? A bit meh to be honest. One of those blows hot/cold players that we've seen plenty enough of

Do we have a better left wing back ? Can we buy and pay one as good as Solly within budget ? Quite apart from disagreeing with you about his contributions to the team, if the answers to those two questions are no then we’ve missed him, haven’t we ?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think both have been huge misses in the 2nd half of the season. As said elsewhere I think we'd had quite a few more points had they been fit. Solly's numbers will not be as stellar as Lamptey's but show a maturity and team ethic he joins more in general play and is a better footballer whereas Tariq is a threat on the counter in particular, and as seen especially when he can run in behind.

They complement each other very well IMO and offer the side balance as well as a threat.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
What's been incredible is not only how good they were for the first half of the season, but how well we adapted to life without them.

I remember Gross playing as a wingback under Hughton (Newcastle game?), looking hopelessly out of position - and a sign that every wheel had fallen off the wagon. Under Potter, he looks calm, comfortable in the role - able to Cruyff-turn every left back at will, and one of our most dangerous players.

The difference I suspect is that we've got a coach who adapts his formation and gameplan to players available, and the opposition - which is why Solly has flourished so much more under him. Will be brilliant to have them both back fit and raring to go.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Solly was made for the left wing back roll. Hughton always played him to provide defensive cover for the left back, I remember one game away at Chelsea under Hughton, we were getting hammered down the left but Solly defended out of his skin not allowed to get forward, he came off injured and Chelsea scored from a goal started down the left within minutes. Potters 3 at the back works perfectly for Solly and I am sure he will continue to flourish in that position again next season. however we still need further competition in that place.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
They were both a huge blow to our league position when they got injured.

I've forgotten now......were we at the time , in the top 4 in the league or just the top 6 ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Shoot me down but I don’t think we’ve missed them anywhere near than I thought we would. I not saying they are not two of our best players but our failure this season has been a lack of goals, so apart from the odd screamer from Solly, meh. Just one decent striker would have made all the difference.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They were both a huge blow to our league position when they got injured.

I've forgotten now......were we at the time , in the top 4 in the league or just the top 6 ?

At the final whistle of the Liverpool game (towards the end of which March picked up his injury), we were in 15th place, having just banked 10 points from 4 matches, every one of them with a clean sheet.

We got 2 points from the following 6 matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here