[Albion] Marc Leonard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Being chased by top half Championship teams says he has a bright future at least. But is he the level of a team chasing PL top 6 , possibly not at the moment - especially given he's 23 later this year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Being chased by top half Championship teams says he has a bright future at least. But is he the level of a team chasing PL top 6 , possibly not at the moment - especially given he's 23 later this year
This will probably be the choice that faces a lot of our players who are regularly loaned out. Having a permanent club in their prime that isn't Brighton (or another EPL club) or hanging on to multiple loans in trying to make it here.

Was reminded of the ultimate example the other night when watching Coventry v Ipswich. Christian Walton was on the Ipswich bench. I still think of him as a promising youngster, but he's now 29!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This will probably be the choice that faces a lot of our players who are regularly loaned out. Having a permanent club in their prime that isn't Brighton (or another EPL club) or hanging on to multiple loans in trying to make it here.

Was reminded of the ultimate example the other night when watching Coventry v Ipswich. Christian Walton was on the Ipswich bench. I still think of him as a promising youngster, but he's now 29!
Ha ha! Yes, but I don’t believe he’s 29 he was forever a promising player for so long. Didn’t Mullery sign him?!!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Probably a good example of how our academy works, ie pick up talented youngsters with potential, develop them to be as good as they can be, then either promote them to the first team squad, put them in the shop window and sell them or don’t extend their contract.

Not aware of many that we’ve got wrong in recent years but our development cycle is still in its early days.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember that he got injured in a pre-season game just as he was on the verge of breaking into the Brighton first team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Probably a good example of how our academy works, ie pick up talented youngsters with potential, develop them to be as good as they can be, then either promote them to the first team squad, put them in the shop window and sell them or don’t extend their contract.

Not aware of many that we’ve got wrong in recent years but our development cycle is still in its early days.
Obviously 'wrong' is subjective, but there are a few recent players who have been released, or sold cheap, then gone on to do well.

Gyokeres is the glaringly obvious one (FORTY goals this season :eek: ), but see also the likes of Anders Dreyer, who has looked good in the Europa League, and has a fantastic scoring record (from the wing) for Anderlecht.

But of course - had these players NOT left - then there is no way of knowing whether they'd have had the opportunities to ultimately develop as they have.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It’s been in development since 1901 in fairness. But splitting hairs. These days DS is not only there to promote players to first team. But a source of revenue, otherwise we wouldn’t have 4 teams worth of players (and Chelsea likely double that!)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
An odd one really. I don't really care what happens with Abdallah Sima, who is also 22 and likely to leave, yet worry we haven't really taken a good look at Leonard, who may be a late developer. Admitedly there is a big gap from League One.

These are fine judgement calls. I think Tottenham in particular have been guilty in the past of hanging on to their "prospects" too long

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Me and the lad watched him at Northampton a couple of weekends ago for something to do. It was their last game of the season and they had absolutely nothing to play for and I appreciate it's a very small sample size to go on. He, however, looked miles off the first team to me. Good passing range and movement but wasn't influencing the game nearly enough and was bullied at times as is often the case in League 1.

He did get abused by an Exeter fan dressed as an Umpa Lumpa though.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
An odd one really. I don't really care what happens with Abdallah Sima, who is also 22 and likely to leave, yet worry we haven't really taken a good look at Leonard, who may be a late developer. Admitedly there is a big gap from League One.

These are fine judgement calls. I think Tottenham in particular have been guilty in the past of hanging on to their "prospects" too long
Turn it round - if we signed a player from Northampton at 22 / 23 this year - and we were competing against Sheffield United & Hull what would you think

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Me and the lad watched him at Northampton a couple of weekends ago for something to do. It was their last game of the season and they had absolutely nothing to play for and I appreciate it's a very small sample size to go on. He, however, looked miles off the first team to me. Good passing range and movement but wasn't influencing the game nearly enough and was bullied at times as is often the case in League 1.

He did get abused by an Exeter fan dressed as an Umpa Lumpa though.

You just can’t train for that sort of eventuality

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Turn it round - if we signed a player from Northampton at 22 / 23 this year - and we were competing against Sheffield United & Hull what would you think
Good point - Still not a huge risk compared to say signing a young player who has played half a dozen games in France for £23m. Conversely If we keep him and he then gets chopped from the premier league squad, it does leave him unable to play for anyone, which helps neither the club or the player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports