Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Leonard - 16yr old from Hearts

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Sounds like he's returning to Northampton on loan for the coming season, which will be a step up after helping them to promotion from League 2 last year.
Interesting one, always get rave reviews. He’s already 21, 22 in December. Contract expires next June although unsure if we have an option.
Be interesting to see if he does well in league 1, what the clubs plan for him will be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting one, always get rave reviews. He’s already 21, 22 in December. Contract expires next June although unsure if we have an option.
Be interesting to see if he does well in league 1, what the clubs plan for him will be.
It sounds like we may have recently triggered an extension/option/something, but I'd rather leave our resident expert @AZ Gull give his definitive view on that!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s youngvstrikers we need

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
He was out of contract for June 2023, we triggered his one year extension so now contracted until June 2024.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was out of contract for June 2023, we triggered his one year extension so now contracted until June 2024.
If that's correct, there's no point in loaning him out again. It'll just mean another talented youngster we've developed through our academy leaving for free this time next year.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This article suggests that a new deal has been agreed - the impression given is that this is more than just a one year extension of his existing contract. Would make sense - he seems to be attracting a lot of interest.

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
This article suggests that a new deal has been agreed - the impression given is that this is more than just a ne year extension of his existing contract. Would make sense - he sees to be attracting a lot of interest.

I stand corrected:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I stand corrected:

Not corrected. Just further research found further information. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Not sure Northampton is the best idea - I'd have preferred somewhere else. Nothing against Northampton but going to another club would have presented a new set of character-building challenges and experiences. Going back to the same place is a bit ike staying in the comfort zone for me. But hey - what do I know?
Good luck to the lad anyway - knock 'em dead, Marc.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It sounds like we may have recently triggered an extension/option/something, but I'd rather leave our resident expert @AZ Gull give his definitive view on that!
NSC’s resident expert has been somewhat out of commission recently, combining a vacation with Albion’s second-ever US tour (and currently trying to catch a breeze on the extremities of the Red Bull Arena concourse in this horrible New York/Jersey heat) - and I think the question has been answered in this thread anyway - but I’ll be reporting back for duty next week (assuming I don’t melt back in Phoenix).

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Not corrected. Just further research found further information. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Not sure Northampton is the best idea - I'd have preferred somewhere else. Nothing against Northampton but going to another club would have presented a new set of character-building challenges and experiences. Going back to the same place is a bit ike staying in the comfort zone for me. But hey - what do I know?
Good luck to the lad anyway - knock 'em dead, Marc.
Know what you mean. But at least they’ve been promoted so better league, better opponents, and they won’t have to blood him in as they already know him

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Seems a good move and the longer deal meaning we can reassess at the end of the season.

Also just a note that if a young player leaves on a free, we tend to get SOMETHING from future sales as solidarity payment for developing them. It’s minuscule by PL finance levels but each year (under about age 23?) gets a small % so longer they’re with us the more we get. Won’t be that relevant for us but every little helps.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Hello everyone. Am unfortunately a Northampton supporter but having lived in Hove since 1993, first starting watching BHAFC in the dying days of the Goldstone and now having a Brighton born n bred 15 yo son who is Albion obsessed, I am also very much an Albion fan..there I’ve said it..supporting two clubs 😀

Leonard was fantastic for us last season..always showing for the ball and generally looking after it very well..instrumental in a lot of the good stuff we played. Chuffed to see him back and excited to see what he can do in League 1.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hello everyone. Am unfortunately a Northampton supporter but having lived in Hove since 1993, first starting watching BHAFC in the dying days of the Goldstone and now having a Brighton born n bred 15 yo son who is Albion obsessed, I am also very much an Albion fan..there I’ve said it..supporting two clubs 😀

Leonard was fantastic for us last season..always showing for the ball and generally looking after it very well..instrumental in a lot of the good stuff we played. Chuffed to see him back and excited to see what he can do in League 1.
Welcome. Regular updates very much appreciated.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seems a good move and the longer deal meaning we can reassess at the end of the season.

Also just a note that if a young player leaves on a free, we tend to get SOMETHING from future sales as solidarity payment for developing them. It’s minuscule by PL finance levels but each year (under about age 23?) gets a small % so longer they’re with us the more we get. Won’t be that relevant for us but every little helps.
It does. A properly run business should see returns (financial and other) for each part of it’s business and not rely on one area to support all the others, unless of course the owner is happy to accept that, however running a business that way leads to inefficiencies, sloppiness and poor financial controls.

Money generated from players coming thru the development scheme is critical for offsetting the set up and running costs, and ultimately freeing up cash to invest in the EPL set up.

Without this cash injection the cash would have to be found from somewhere else ……. And we’d all moan if ticket prices went up!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here