Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On what are you basing this
Well, when it comes to these things it is always subjective but if you want something more concrete...

He came back from the pre-season with covid and then in his first few games he lacked the normally flawless timing. In his six first games after coming back, he picked up four yellow cards - two more than he picked up in the entirety of the rest of the season. I think if you read the player rating threads from back then, you'll find quite a few noticing he wasn't in top form. Very poor against Everton and despite two wins he was struggling against both Brentford and Leicester.

Turned it around quickly though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That is quite frankly, bollocks.

When he went off injured in the first leg of the play-offs there was a lot of people cheering and giving him grief. In fact I’d argue it was over 50% of the away crowd that day.
There really wasn’t in the area I was in, and didn’t hear anything like that. The fact no-one was near him indicated the nature of the injury

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I genuinely think he didn’t have a clue that was coming yesterday.

I’m sure he thought that we would all be fully understanding and supportive of his move to a bigger club.

I think Potter a little bit the same too judging by his post game comments.
I don't think he would have got that abuse either if Potter was still at Brighton, he just got caught up in the events and ultimately became the most obvious focal point of our anger at Chelsea and Potter in general.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His bank account must look pretty healthy but on the football front not looking so rosy. The fall guy for tactics that don’t work and chances of a WC place receding at pace I’d wager.

It would be interesting to hear his take on how he thinks things have gone since the end of last season

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
His bank account must look pretty healthy but on the football front not looking so rosy. The fall guy for tactics that don’t work and chances of a WC place receding at pace I’d wager.

It would be interesting to hear his take on how he thinks things have gone since the end of last season
I did wonder whether he should have had that ‘difficult second season’ with us rather than trying to replicate his elite form at a Big Six club. His positioning seemed to be world class in a Brighton shirt but he looked all over the place for Chelsea. Meanwhile, we have a faster player in Pervis who can deliver a better cross plus £60m+.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Find it hard to believe people are now saying he was not so good . That is not the case as he was outstanding with us. As well as an attacking threat always seemed to be able to get back and defend. Even on occasions we were short and he played LCB he still got forward and usually Webster covered out wide. Cock up by Potter against us. All very well playing him LCB but Stirling also out of position at LWB so no help in defence from him that left Cucurella all the time in one on ones with March with no support.. All credit to Brighton because I have never seen his attacking play so restricted.
Biggest mistake by Potter was not him at LCB but not playing a WB who would also defend.
With Chelsea supporters now negative about him he is going to need a run of games playing out wide to win them over which may be difficult competing against Chilwell

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not everyone got the relaxed, "love-a-good-banter" personality of Glenn Murray.
No, you're right, not everyone can take it, with some it affects their game negatively, which is kind of what you hope for on the day.
I was referring to Bruno. 10 years, 235 games on the pitch, leading the team to getting promoted to the top tier for not-the-umpteenth time in the clubs history and then being a force to be reckoned with in trying to stay up. Maybe doesnt make you a legend but should put you in that ball park.
Yeah, Bruno was a legend. Then he showed why it's daft to worship these guys too much. The trouble is, if we were not emotionally invested in the club and the players, would we really bother turning up? Potter seems to be wanting it both ways, like you have accused Brighton fans of being, want to slag him off, and still have his loyalty. He wants to walk away and have us be grateful, sorry Graham, you have a new bunch of supporters to persuade that they are ignorant if they criticise.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's not actually true, in either case - Murray got a fair amount of abuse when he left for Palace and in the first couple of games against us (Gleeeeenn Murray is a wanker, is a wanker). But it was his reaction that earned respect, in two ways - firstly he scored against us on a number of occasions, which shut us up. And secondly, he never celebrated. Also, I'd say that not a single Brighton fan considered him a legend in the period before he returned to us.

And Zamora received death threats when there was talk of him moving to Palace.
I'd also add it wasn't his fault for leaving.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Official website:
It is with regret that Albion have announced that Glenn Murray's future now lies away from Brighton, after the striker rejected the club's latest and final contract offer.
Well yes, but I know a few footballers and what we don't know is what the "latest and final contract offer" actually was. For example, he may have been promised a three year deal at a certain salary - and then the club put in a one year break and a lower basic. We'll never know, but what you quote doesn't necessarily mean it was a resonable or acceptable "latest and final" offer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Official website:
It is with regret that Albion have announced that Glenn Murray's future now lies away from Brighton, after the striker rejected the club's latest and final contract offer.

This is where your only recent fascination with the good ship Brighton & Hove Albion finds you wanting.

The club (read: Poyet) made Murray a derisory "we don't really want you offer" which was always going to be declined.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think he would have got that abuse either if Potter was still at Brighton, he just got caught up in the events and ultimately became the most obvious focal point of our anger at Chelsea and Potter in general.
This.
I wasn't angry with him. I just wanted to have an impact on the game and could see that the grief we were giving him from the WSL was affecting him. We did have an impact, so much so that he started gesticulating to the crowd. We helped (in our small way) to bring home three points.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In 2020/21 and 2021/22 midseason and end of season, I frequently posted that Veltman was my potential POTS and then POTS. In the latter, Cucurella just didn’t deserve it, people imho were swayed by our renaissance in the last few months.

Chelsea like Citeh will just keep spending and act quickly, they won’t have any patience for an achilles heel. Cucurella will need to be an unbeatable defensive wall in 8 or 9 games out of 10, to tick their requirements. That will be playing at a higher level than when with us.

I would agree that the final couple of months (and particularly the Man U game) sealed it for him.
But, he also won the player's player of the season, which I think says more about his overall performance, than the fan vote.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Official website:
Trawling the internet won't give you the insight you need on this, unless you dig deep, rather than just superficially looking for things to back up your increasingly desperate and needy comparisons

Sure there were plenty who thought Murray was the villain, he wasn't, the villain was 100% Poyet. From a personal perspective it really hurt and was the most gutted I've been to see a player leave, at no stage did I blame Murray though.

Regarding Potter. We, as Albion fans, need to let it go now, and you as a Potter fan should do the same.

Or will your life on here become meaningless once the Potter connection goes????

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is where your only recent fascination with the good ship Brighton & Hove Albion finds you wanting.

The club (read: Poyet) made Murray a derisory "we don't really want you offer" which was always going to be declined.
Ok, my bad, not seen the contract offer.

So the club made a shite offer to Glenn Murray in order to make him look bad and the club look good? Well. It is what it is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Trawling the internet won't give you the insight you need on this, unless you dig deep, rather than looking for things to back up your increasingly desperate and needy comparisons

Sure there were plenty who thought Murray was the villain, he wasn't, the villain was 100% Poyet

Regarding Potter. We, as Albion fans, need to let it go now, and you as a Potter fan should do the same.

Or will your life on here become meaningless once the Potter connection goes????
Nah clearly I was sort-of-wrong (I mean I suppose the club did offer a contract regardless of how shite it was) but turned out that in a supreme move of loyalty the club decided to make Glenn Murray look like a villain.

I don't think you've made one post in the last month not mentioning Graham Potter, if you want to go down the "meaningless life" route.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nah clearly I was sort-of-wrong (I mean I suppose the club did offer a contract regardless of how shite it was) but turned out that in a supreme move of loyalty the club decided to make Glenn Murray look like a villain.

I don't think you've made one post in the last month not mentioning Graham Potter, if you want to go down the "meaningless life" route.
Again, you need to dig deeper :rolleyes:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Official website:
Shows you know f*** all about our club yet think that not only your opinion is the only one that's right, you tell us we're wrong yet we have far more knowledge than you.

You are very odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here