Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marauding centre backs - that was new.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and I don't mean Webster's mightily impressive lung buster on Sollys overlap when we were down to 'throw the kitchen sink at them o'clock'.

Right from the off, the 'centre back sprint' button appeared to be stuck - why?

Dunk launched himself upfield, for no apparent reason, at least 3 times during our stand on the ball phase, before Webster had a go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Obviously I don't know the full details, and no one really will, but I think it's a small example of De Zerbi Ball just evolving and being tweaked for each opponent. In some games we've noticably gone longer with the passes. Last night there was the centre back charge, quite a few longer balls and Enciso in a much freer role than we sometimes give our "10".

Let's face it, the man's a Stone Island wearing genius and we're not at all worthy. Got to be carried out by the players though and what a bunch they are too.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Because of manure’s park the bus, hoofball tactics (particularly second half) our attacking players had very little space and we were heavily reliant on the CBs getting involved and driving us forward. The game felt similar to the semi final to me albeit it was attack against defence clearly in the 2nd half. Such uninspiring tactics for such a high and mighty club, perhaps there is some justice in football!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was fascinating watching Colwill, Webster and Dunk on. It looked like they were happy with two staying back when one of them decided they wanted a foray forward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I'm not talking of occasions with the ball, I mean just running up field to the traditional #10 area of the pitch, before turning round and charging back again.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are always little details RDZ introduces that intrigue me.

When we played Wolves, I loved the fact that in the first half, Undav was sort of on the left wing and Welbeck was playing attacking midfield. They then just kept popping up in the No.9 position making it incredibly difficult for defenders to pick them up.

When they did try to mark Undav for our second goal, two defenders tracked him leaving Groß completely unmarked and able to finish with aplomb.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
If only Ajax and the Dutch of the 1970s hadn't already claimed the phrase, I would describe how we play as "Total Football"

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Also during uniteds goal kicks Webster was going really far into their half man marking someone. I wasn't sure who it was but at some points he was further forward than Wellbeck.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also during uniteds goal kicks Webster was going really far into their half man marking someone. I wasn't sure who it was but at some points he was further forward than Wellbeck.
Yep Dunk was basically going into midfield for their goal kicks as well

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I caught the end of the Sky coverage and Dunk mentioned to Redknapp that RDZ had lots of ideas that he'd not even mentioned to the players.

Last night's 'defenders in midfield' was amazing to see 🤣🤣

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There seems to be something new pretty much every game. eg: t Bournemouth it was those fast low passes to Enciso or Ferguson (one of which, from Gross) led to Enciso's goal. At Spurs, long corners to the back post.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunk, when being interviewed said that he thought RDZ had other ideas on tactics that he hadn’t told the players about….yet

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dunk, when being interviewed said that he thought RDZ had other ideas on tactics that he hadn’t told the players about….yet
That whole section with Dunk and Redknapp going through tactics – and Jamie basically droolling over the Albion is well worth a watch. In fact, from what I saw, him and Ince basically didn't say a word about MUFC. Also, I think Ince has a bit of a mancrush on Ali Mac :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That whole section with Dunk and Redknapp going through tactics – and Jamie basically droolling over the Albion is well worth a watch. In fact, from what I saw, him and Ince basically didn't say a word about MUFC. Also, I think Ince has a bit of a mancrush on Ali Mac :lolol:

I've not been able to watch that video as it's location-restricted. If anyone has a way to make it viewable to fans overseas, it'd be much appreciated!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
When the opposition only play 1 up front, this is always an option.

Webby certainly seemed to be appearing in centre mid towards the end of the game and made a proper full backs overlapping run as well

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm not a tactics person but sit high up and see how play evolves. I noticed last night that Man Utd seemed to have a 'spare' player up front when we start the studs on ball routine. Instead of the usual flat line in front of Dunk and the square formation they would have an extra player who would come forward. Also, on goal kicks, said player would go to the keeper as soon as he had kicked the ball to Dunk thus stopping the pass back. This in turn left Dunk free to move forwards.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Remember seeing Dunk suddenly appearing in the box trying to get on the end of a cross in the second half and thinking "wait, when did he show up?"

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
It was clear to me after seeing Colwill shouting to Dunk & Webster and pointing at the empty Defensive Midfield space (or Man U AMC space) that De Zerbi had sent him on with instructions for one of them to fill that hole even with no Man U players there. It was a very smart move as that was the area that Man U constantly left open to run into/exploit. They had a lot of joy there.

As a side note I think a lot of that is because Billy and Mac are very similar in their positional play and didn't seesaw/rotate as much as Calceido-Mac, Billy and Mac were often both too deep or both too high as pose to splitting.

The 'Marauding' part of the centre backs was just opportunistic situations, I noticed it much more in after set pieces when one of the three would just stay up. Mostly when the attacking move started going the centre back filling the defensive midfiled space would drop into a back 3 with Estupinian and March high up on the wings

It was the first time I've seen De Zerbi use a back 3 and it was interesting to see that it worked equally as well if not better with his playing out the back style. Maybe we'll see this more often as teams are starting to figure us out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here