Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona has died

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll be honest about this. As a footballer he had God-given talent but he has also been influential in creating the modern game we see today, and not in a good way.

I am old enough to realise that Argentina would have beaten us in 1986 - with or without the Hand Of God - but it seems everyone cheats like Maradona now, and football is the poorer for it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Judging by the scream touching Solly March's shinpad induces, in the modern era he'd never get off the ground.

In 2020 there would have been about 40 free kicks and 30 yellow cards in that clip!

Grealish would have spent the entire clip on the floor in "agony"

RIP a brilliant footballer who did himself few favours outside of it.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

What a player. Happy to admire him for that alone - his skills and influence on a team at a national and Club level were incredible, at a time when dark arts of defending were still very much part of the game. One of my pleasing football memories was getting to see him play at Wembley for the Rest of the World as part of the FA centenary celebrations shortly after 1986. The incessant booing of him aside, just watching him warm up was genuinely incredible and has stayed with me. I had never seen anyone do what he was doing with the ball with seemingly no effort at all.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I would put Best just above because he stayed on his feet and was also a good defender

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So much cock fighting on this thread! What’s wrong with simply admiring the mans genius and terrific contribution to football, sport and indeed the world. One of the greats, possibly the greatest. Cheers Diego, for a cheating git who broke millions of English hearts including mine, you were impossible to dislike!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're currently watching the Asif Kapadia documentary.

Jnr has never made so many appreciative snorts and groans.
He might just learn why I no longer care for football beyond the Albion.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I vaguely remember midfielder Robert Codner, a very good player for us. The chant I think was "Diego Mara-Codner! Diego Mara-Codner! Da, da, da, da! Da, da, da, da!" to the tune of "Let's go f**king mental!"

Was that his usual chant? Quality! :clap2:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Judging by the scream touching Solly March's shinpad induces, in the modern era he'd never get off the ground.

- oh i wish someone could "clean up" those pictures into an HD image. Such a waste of magical play. Like the ball is attached to his foot by some elastic.

- Brighton fans would say "doesn't score enough goals, not enough end product, poor final ball / pass. Should do better".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lance Armstrong was a pretty good cyclist too, wasn't he?

I'll remember them the same way.

Anyone can ride a bike.

Nobody could do what Maradona could do with a football, drugs or no drugs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So much cock fighting on this thread! What’s wrong with simply admiring the mans genius and terrific contribution to football, sport and indeed the world. One of the greats, possibly the greatest. Cheers Diego, for a cheating git who broke millions of English hearts including mine, you were impossible to dislike!

Oh no he wasn't!

Haven't forgiven him for that cheating goal. 'Hand of God' my a**e! Still, he was a fellow human being. and he's passed away, so a slightly grudging RIP I guess.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I was more the context of it, in the World Cup finals and having the effect of dumping us out of the tournament. There were millions of us fuming on the edge of our sofas at home shouting “you cheating little f****r”. For all his ability, I could never get over his attitude over the incident. “Hand of God”, my arse!

For me, all Englands hard luck stories was of our own doing, no one curses Steve Hodge for kicking the ball backwards in his own box and it's usually those poor decisions or poor discipline that cost us. You make your own luck.

That aside Maradonna's individual goal was good enough to win any match and 86 Mexico was all about Maradonna, not gonna argue history should be different

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
- oh i wish someone could "clean up" those pictures into an HD image. Such a waste of magical play. Like the ball is attached to his foot by some elastic.

- Brighton fans would say "doesn't score enough goals, not enough end product, poor final ball / pass. Should do better".
Too short.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here