Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona and Colombian Manager both slam England...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don’t think the diving and play acting has been any worse but the crowding of referees, the asking for var and cards could be stamped out in a couple of seasons if FIFA had the guts to do it. Just suddenly bringing more yellows and reds in would result in games being abandoned the way players are carrying on at present I would think, but on a practical level retrospective action will eventually curtail it. I can’t think of another sport offhand that would allow the amount of blatant cheating by failing to follow the moral codes as well as the laws of the game like in this World Cup. It’s too great a game to have to continually be talking about this behaviour.

For instance I think the Argentinians are usually the sneaky and sometimes downright nastiest lot around but the Pumas in Rugby Union are no worse than the other rugby playing nations.

It CAN be sorted out by FIFA. We can certainly learn from Rugby on this front.

dread to think what goes on in their domestic leagues and copa americanos games.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No leg to stand on given Colombia's antics obviously, but I have to say I wasn't a fan of some of our antics. Henderson in particular doing a Neymar-lite impression was a bit sad to see - we haven't really been like that in the past, which is something I've been proud of. The diving and playacting at this World Cup is the worst I can ever remember it being - and it's something that really puts me off football sometimes.

This and as it comes to a conclusion will only get worse, Neymar etc.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If I were reffing a game, I would award a yellow card to the first player who commits a diving offense and that should sort it for the rest of the game, hopefully.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if henderson doesn't make a song and dance about it the ref remains oblivious to it as he's looking the other way ....maybe he just goes down on his haunches , holding his nose or something but basically a head butt is a head but and i think they were fighting fire with fire a bit to be fair .....not a good advert for the game though i agree.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don’t think the diving and play acting has been any worse but the crowding of referees, the asking for var and cards could be stamped out in a couple of seasons if FIFA had the guts to do it. Just suddenly bringing more yellows and reds in would result in games being abandoned the way players are carrying on at present I would think, but on a practical level retrospective action will eventually curtail it. I can’t think of another sport offhand that would allow the amount of blatant cheating by failing to follow the moral codes as well as the laws of the game like in this World Cup. It’s too great a game to have to continually be talking about this behaviour.

For instance I think the Argentinians are usually the sneaky and sometimes downright nastiest lot around but the Pumas in Rugby Union are no worse than the other rugby playing nations.

It CAN be sorted out by FIFA. We can certainly learn from Rugby on this front.

I've long maintained that any player waving an imaginary card in the ref's face should immediately be rewarded with a real card. It would stop it in an instant.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Pekerman is understandable. The world of punditry outright condemned the tactics of Colombia, and he can hardly come out and say that they were missing their most skillful player so overcompensated by attempting to break up the game with cynical tactics.

Maradona, what an absolute jeb end. Indefensible.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No leg to stand on given Colombia's antics obviously, but I have to say I wasn't a fan of some of our antics. Henderson in particular doing a Neymar-lite impression was a bit sad to see - we haven't really been like that in the past, which is something I've been proud of. The diving and playacting at this World Cup is the worst I can ever remember it being - and it's something that really puts me off football sometimes.

I can't agree with the Henderson comment, if he hadnt have gone down, nothing would have happened, the Ref wasnt looking in that direction and was setting the wall. Henderson doesnt go down and moans to the ref little happens IMO. Its not right be he did the right thing.

In addition to this, when watching the Highlights the ref actually doesnt correctly use VAR in this instance, he clearly gets direction from VAR to book the player, however he does this without reviewing the incident on the screen himself, which brakes current protical. I still believe it should have been a red card and without a doubt a more compitent ref would have dismissed the Colombian.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I've long maintained that any player waving an imaginary card in the ref's face should immediately be rewarded with a real card. It would stop it in an instant.

They are meant to be, you dont see this very often or at all now, certainly I can not recall an incident.

All you get now, is players making the shape of a bloody TV.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair, apart from:

Getting away with a red card offence
Getting away with 1 other rugby tackle in the box
Getting away with a foul on Lingard in the box
Getting away with scuffing up the penalty spot
Getting away with delaying a penalty for 3 mins
Getting away with surrounding the penalty taker
Getting away with surrounding the ref and just getting a few yellows after minutes of shouting abuse
Getting away with a Falcao commiting at least 4 yellow card offences
Getting the first kick in the penalties
Getting the majority of seats in the stadium
Getting 5 minutes added time

They were relatively hard done by.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a first class knob Maradonna is.

FIFA need to kick him out. Embarrassing.

It’s why he will never eclipse Pele as the greatest. Well, just one reason why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Whatever happens against Sweden it has been a successful tournament for England:

Scored some goals;
Got through the group stage within two games;
Outlasted Germany, Argentina & Portugal;
Didn't lose the knockout game shown exclusively on ITV;
Won a penalty shoot out;
Annoyed Maradona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here