Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manu over Baldock?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ridiculous. Manu is simply not good enough. Although different types of player, I prefer O'Grady.

As [MENTION=14218]Finch[/MENTION]ley_Seagull mentioned, I think Knocky or Solly in the no. 10 role is the way forward.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Baldock is a MUCH better player than Manu will ever be; Baldock has a footballing brain, Manu does not..

It's just a shame he hasn't got footballing feet.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll be well chuffed if Manu comes good this season and becomes a major player in our promotion.

I will also be very happy if I can travel back to the early 1970s to make passionate love with Julie Christie whenever I want.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, Baldock is banned for Brentford. Could be Manu's chance to stake a claim and show whether he actually has something to offer this season. Like most, I have my doubts. But its a chance.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Is it worth playing Manu over Baldock in the next couple of months? Given the club has spectacularly failed to sign another striker, and Baldock has proved his ineptitude at putting the ball in the net at this level, surely it's better to try Elvis? He may get caught offside 5/6 times a game but perhaps might improve with game time?

:lolol: youre joking right?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
:lolol: youre joking right?

Manu has shown very little apart from raw pace however Baldock has shown time and time again over a large sample of games he can't put the ball in the net in this league. Baldock's link up play etc may be good, we need someone to support Murray and chip in with goals. To be honest I don't like the idea of Knockaert playing as number 10, he is doing just fine in his current position.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think the fact that CH has played Manu in the cup games and that he is still with us suggests that he has seen something there and maybe he can contribute to the first team.

Having said that, I would like to see Murphy or Knockaert playing behind Murray or Hemed.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I'd keep Knockaert out wide personally. That's where he is most dangerous. Skalak can play at no.10 (well at least that was the shout when he joined us) might be worth giving him a go behind the main striker. Only problem is he not particularly quick but has good passing and vision.

Mmm...so take our best crosser of the ball (Skalak) and put him in the middle thus taking away his best asset when we now have a brilliant headerer of the ball (Murray) waiting patiently in the box. What a good idea.

Is headerer actually a word?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If this is what it's come down to, top two feels a long way away

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The way our team plays the goals come from the wings, we don't need a superstar striker. Once March is back we 5 decent/exciting wingers (if you can still count Kaz as one, which I'd like to).

As for Elvis over Baldock - I've seen enough of both to think that's a mental suggestion.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
To all those jumping on the 'Manu' is terrible theme - how many times have you seen him play? A handful of 10 minute cameos at games where the result is already concluded?

If you'd gone down and watched the multiple cup games we've had so far this year, he's been probably our best player througout (minus Norwood at Colchester). Despite having poor service throughout most of those games.

He's raw, got pace, strength, gets in to good positions and is unpredictable. Handful for defenders and scored a few goals already this year. With better service could go places.

Nothing wrong with trying him and giving him game time in the right situation. He makes things happen. Which (whilst i appreciate his build up play and off the ball qualities) is more than Baldock sometimes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think the fact that CH has played Manu in the cup games and that he is still with us suggests that he has seen something there and maybe he can contribute to the first team.

Having said that, I would like to see Murphy or Knockaert playing behind Murray or Hemed.

I think it suggests that it's easier to get rid of a player if other clubs have had a chance to see him do okay and that he didn't want any of his first team strikers injured. I reckon you'll get your wish - unless he puts in some good shifts off the bench, don't think Manu will ever start a game unless Hemed and Murray are both injured, and maybe not even then.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
All opinions I guess. I have the complete opposite view. If Manu was given a run in the starting 11 I reckon he'd turn out to be immense. Unfortunately everyone seems to have an irrational hatred towards him.
Baldock has had so many chances and has done very little to suggest anything other than he is a League 1 striker. I see him as a poor mans CMS, and feel it's a shame we continually waste a shirt on him.

Rating Baldock, which I personally do, does not mean one has an irrational hatred of Manu, which I personally don't. At least he is in the reckoning now, which is more than he was at all last season.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Baldock works his arse off in our system. One which requires the forwards to get back and help defend.

Don't see Manu doing that. It's also an issue with Skalak.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To all those jumping on the 'Manu' is terrible theme - how many times have you seen him play? A handful of 10 minute cameos at games where the result is already concluded?

If you'd gone down and watched the multiple cup games we've had so far this year, he's been probably our best player througout (minus Norwood at Colchester). Despite having poor service throughout most of those games.

He's raw, got pace, strength, gets in to good positions and is unpredictable. Handful for defenders and scored a few goals already this year. With better service could go places.

Nothing wrong with trying him and giving him game time in the right situation. He makes things happen. Which (whilst i appreciate his build up play and off the ball qualities) is more than Baldock sometimes.

I agree. Manu has vastly improved this season... worth a try...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here