Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mandatory Booking Fees: The ASA Responds

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
So what can we do? Boycott the club? A Facebook campaign (!) or a letter writing campaign?? Been a while since we had to do that!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It says additional booking fees apply and you then go to another place of the ticket site to see what they are :shrug:

Clearly some people have never purchased tickets for an event before, I purchased 4 tickets for the theatre royal in Brighton this week and was charged £14.55 for the priviledge, this is the con people should be targetting.

On a similar note, I purchased 3 tickets for an event in London. £40 per ticket I could stomach, then there's the £8 per ticket booking fee plus £5.50 secure delivery (the only option permitted :angry:) . An extra £29.50 on top, ruthless *******s.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On my phone but having checked the .pdf here: http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/matchday-ticket-prices-2013-14-final-3229-894901.pdf I don't personally feel that it is clear enough and ill be writing to them again tonight.

It has been amended now , right at the bottom it says " * booking fees apply". This could all have been sorted out by sending an e-mail to the club telling them there was an error and kindly asking them to rectify it before the ASA would be informed.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It has been amended now , right at the bottom it says " * booking fees apply". This could all have been sorted out by sending an e-mail to the club telling them there was an error and kindly asking them to rectify it before the ASA would be informed.

My understanding is that they must display booking fee prices on the same page as ticket prices and not give you a surprise at 'the checkout'.
As there are only two levels of fee, it is hardly a programming nightmare for the Albion.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My understanding is that they must display booking fee prices on the same page as ticket prices and not give you a surprise at 'the checkout'.
As there are only two levels of fee, it is hardly a programming nightmare for the Albion.

It is , the ticketing website was showing full prices for the Newport County game before being amended. :lol: The club weren't given a chance to change the information to show the booking fee on the same page , they were reported to the ASA first.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It is , the ticketing website was showing full prices for the Newport County game before being amended. :lol: The club weren't given a chance to change the information to show the booking fee on the same page , they were reported to the ASA first.

We aren't talking about an auction site here, the Albion has Solicitors, Accountants etc so shouldn't they act professional, know the Law and get legal things right first time?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We aren't talking about an auction site here, the Albion has Solicitors, Accountants etc so shouldn't they act professional, know the Law and get legal things right first time?

They made a mistake , not everything in life can be 100% perfect first time every time. The error has been redressed. Frankly I was surprised there haven't been hundreds of complaints to Watchdog over this issue.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

If it wasn't for the error in not allowing fans to opt out of their information being passed onto third parties I'd probably agree with you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If it wasn't for the error in not allowing fans to opt out of their information being passed onto third parties I'd probably agree with you.

I quite enjoy reading those e-mails about test driving a new Seat etc etc :lolol: According to the privacy policy you can now opt out but I remember at the time there was a big brouhaha as there was no box to tick or untick.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The club can't have it both ways - either they're a professional ruthless commercial business or a cottage industry. If the former then bugger them, report them to the appropriate authorities if they get something wrong, if the later then they deserve some leeway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Marvellous, so called supporters first port of call is to complain to the authorities rather than point out what was probably an error so they could rectify it. Perhaps those that prefer to complain are the very ones that prefer to be consider only as customers rather than fans!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Marvellous, so called supporters first port of call is to complain to the authorities rather than point out what was probably an error so they could rectify it. Perhaps those that prefer to complain are the very ones that prefer to be consider only as customers rather than fans!!

The club today goes out of it's way to screw it's customers at every turn so I will quite happily make a complaint to the relevant authorities when they break regulations.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The club today goes out of it's way to screw it's customers at every turn so I will quite happily make a complaint to the relevant authorities when they break regulations.

Blimey, with fans like you who needs enemies. I've been following the club for 30 years and don't particularly feel the club have ever screwed me over. Booking fees are part of life now. Personally I wish they'd just incorporate it into the ticket price then none of us would be any the wiser.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Personally I wish they'd just incorporate it into the ticket price then none of us would be any the wiser.

This is the basic point for me. They could have done this, the prices would have seemed equally reasonable on the whole and there'd be no question about whether or not they were trying to fleece or hoodwink fans. Instead they chose to introduce a repugnant practice that was already under scrutiny. I always thought Brighton had a bit more class.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
On a similar note, I purchased 3 tickets for an event in London. £40 per ticket I could stomach, then there's the £8 per ticket booking fee plus £5.50 secure delivery (the only option permitted :angry:) . An extra £29.50 on top, ruthless *******s.

Why pay it f it bothered you that much ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The club today goes out of it's way to screw it's customers at every turn

is your opinion, not necessarily everyone elses opinion.

Blimey, with fans like you who needs enemies. I've been following the club for 30 years and don't particularly feel the club have ever screwed me over. Booking fees are part of life now. Personally I wish they'd just incorporate it into the ticket price then none of us would be any the wiser.

I guess the booking fee is someting in the ticketing software, it has to be paid to the owners of the software. We're not alone, this exact system is in use at other clubs, with the same fees, so I guess it is a condition of Talent Sport who provide the system, perhaps it is something the club simply is not able to show in any other way. Or as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, as it is a bona fide booking fee (regardless of peoples opinion on it) it has to be, by the rules and regulations covering sales, shown as such.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
is your opinion, not necessarily everyone elses opinion.

I guess the booking fee is someting in the ticketing software, it has to be paid to the owners of the software. We're not alone, this exact system is in use at other clubs, with the same fees, so I guess it is a condition of Talent Sport who provide the system, perhaps it is something the club simply is not able to show in any other way. Or as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, as it is a bona fide booking fee (regardless of peoples opinion on it) it has to be, by the rules and regulations covering sales, shown as such.

That seems reasonable but those that are following a different agenda won't buy it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's the principle. If enough public-spirited people like Husty complain, complain and keep on complaining maybe the regulations will get tightened up. I agree with your last sentence. There is NO reason for a booking fee to be shown separately, it is simply a legal way of being able to advertise tickets for sale at a cheaper price than that which you actually have to pay. (They'd probably do the same thing with VAT if it wasn't illegal). Ditto credit card surcharges. Sainsburys etc pay a bona fide fee to a third-party every time you use a credit card to buy your shopping but they don't feel the need to add it on to your bill. Other organisations of course DO add it on, but at least you usually have a choice as to whether to pay it or not.

Organisations that sell tickets simply reply on the stupidity of the public to be able to add fees regardless, They've only got to say "Booking fee, must be shown separately, third party costs, VAT regulations, EU rules, insurance, Health and Safety, come on everybody does it" and people go "Oh, ok." Well the gutless ones do, the rest of us rage impotently on message boards about the unfairness of it all!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That seems reasonable but those that are following a different agenda won't buy it.

Are you the sort of person who also thinks those letters from rich Nigerians are a good business opportunity?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's all about passing on costs. If the albion subscribe to a ticketing product that cost a lot of money to license and operate then we have been fed a diet of " oh we haven't a pot to piss in" " we have to cut costs and maximise revenue" " we are losing so much money now" " we have to work within FFP or we will all be shot". So therefore they will try and screw as much money out of us customers as possible.

You are right brovian, it is the way things have been going for a while, but this is all very well when things are going well and we are a good team to watch and relatively successful.....where the problem comes is when we are not a successful and you have already bled your fans dry and are still relying on them to shell out hard earned cash.

We are fortunate that we have a relatively affluent fan base who can afford to be squeezed like sponges, but we all know that the football bubble will burst and maybe the FFP legislations will be the catalyst to that. What the fall out will be and how deep out will hit will be very interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here