Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manchester United Fans - A bit of perspective required

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glaziers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glaziers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glaziers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone
If you think that is dubious, a successful Sussex company employing near a thousand people at peak times was sold off to a bunch of Asian hedge fund people for £600,000,000.

They borrowed the money from themselves and charged the debt to the company at %15 pa. ( at the same time Jordan was borrowing money for that rate for a basket case cpfc)

75% uncomponded interest later they off loaded that company for a Billion having shifted all the jobs out of the country.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, the Glazers are horrible owners but the fact is the amount spent on building their current squad should have been sufficient for them to have continued their title-winning ways. Their demise is due in part to poor recruitment and poor management of finances.

Similarly, Sir Alex had far too much power whilst at the helm so when he left there was a gaping hole extending far beyond the role of manager and coach.

Sir Alex also ran down that squad and over-achieved in winning the title. His predecessor was left with an ageing squad (Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs all 32+) and no plans for replacements drawn up in time, so they failed to bring players in for the following season.

They clearly won't win the Prem this season, and that will make it a decade without a title since Sir Alex departed with such fanfare.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Odd that, seeing as Busby was appointed manager in 1945, a full 13 years before Edwards became a director at the club.

You're right of course. Busby wasn't appointed by Louis Edwards, who only became involved after Munich. They were manager and Chairman together throughout the years when the club grew to world reknown.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Similarly, Sir Alex had far too much power whilst at the helm so when he left there was a gaping hole extending far beyond the role of manager and coach.

This is true. United's most successful rivals have put structures in place that try to ensure continuity following the departure of a manager. United have had a decade to replicate this and are still reliant on the old ways of the Ferguson era. I loved the panel featuring Ferguson in David Squires' strip this week: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-opening-weekend-of-the-premier-league-season

For Man Utd fans its been a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions, with Ferguson cast as Lear relinquishing his crown, but attempting to keep hold of his power. He plays Banquo to each king and subsequently Brutus to every Caesar. To the rest of us its been a comedy of errors.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
They bought the club with a mortgage on Old Trafford, an asset they didn't own until the deal had been completed. I can't fathom how that could be legal, but there you go.

? I bought my house with a mortgage an asset I didn't own until the deal had been completed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Lots of talk on the radio today about the potential bid……supposedly £4-5 billion. Won’t be offering to help with a bucket collection any time soon :lolol:

Seeing as the potential bid is by Michael Knighton who tried to buy them in the late 80s I don't think the Utd fans will be that hopeful it will come off. In fact his strategy seems to be make a bid to hopefully wake up Sir Jimmy Ratcliffe and pray he makes a bid too.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
? I bought my house with a mortgage an asset I didn't own until the deal had been completed.

The mortgage company could only lend you the money because banks and building societies don't actually have to have the cash at hand, they are allowed to invent money on the basis of your repayments. Your bank or building society charged you interest on money they don't have until you pay them it later .

How does that work?

Well, it did until the 2008 crash when they were allowed to lend 20 times their reserves to people who defaulted.
Fortunately now they are only allowed to invent 8 times their reserves.

el punal

while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glaziers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glaziers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glaziers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone

Glazers, the Glaziers are the comical bunch up the road.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This. The Glazers are the sort of horrible football club owners who should never pass the fit and proper person test. Football as a whole would be better off without them.

Unfortunately, most other PL owners are just as bad. I'm trying to think of decent EPL owners and, so far, have only got to Bloom, Benham and possibly Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha before that tragic helicopter crash.
Maybe Matthew Harding was one of the good guys too ? I seem to recall that Abramovic was a bit miffed that he never got a stand named after him despite all the money he pumped in.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
They are trying to organise a protest at the Liverpool game #emptyoldtrafford where the fans all stay outside. Like previous attempts at protest you know they will all be there in their seats as won’t want to miss out on the big game

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are trying to organise a protest at the Liverpool game #emptyoldtrafford where the fans all stay outside. Like previous attempts at protest you know they will all be there in their seats as won’t want to miss out on the big game

The global tourists are not going to rock up at OT and then hang around outside after their visit to the Megastore.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair, if any owners in the league were going to burn the stadium down for the insurance money it’s probably the Glazers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ah I'm guessing Utd lost at the weekend.

Never underestimate modern day football fans ability to have the most half arsed protest about nothing.

I wonder if they're going to meet up at Sports Direct.
Or storm the Directors Box 12 months before singing the directors praises.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ah I'm guessing Utd lost at the weekend.

Never underestimate modern day football fans ability to have the most half arsed protest about nothing.

I wonder if they're going to meet up at Sports Direct.
Or storm the Directors Box 12 months before singing the directors praises.

If it's anything like Sunday they'll meet on Salford Quays between Lime and the Lowry, walk to OT over the bridge and do a lap of the ground, where the stewards and police will shit themselves and stop people circulating round the ground as normal. Out of a crowd of 70000 odd they'll number about 500 but there'll be loads of PYRO.

And no one will notice the difference in the atmosphere with them not in the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here