Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United a bit covid-y now [Brentford v Man Utd postponed]

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Surely whilst we have 7/8 players unavailable through injury and suspension plus any other first teamers that may have tested positive for COVID, it would be in our interest to get the next few matches (wolves and Man Utd) postponed to give some players a chance to recover? We'll need a strong team to face both those and without 3 centrebacks it will be a huge ask to get anything from those fixtures with half a squad!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or the FA Cup & League Cup

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Surely whilst we have 7/8 players unavailable through injury and suspension plus any other first teamers that may have tested positive for COVID, it would be in our interest to get the next few matches (wolves and Man Utd) postponed to give some players a chance to recover? We'll need a strong team to face both those and without 3 centrebacks it will be a huge ask to get anything from those fixtures with half a squad!

Whereas what WILL happen is that our weakened squad will lose gallantly to Wolves and then heavily to a well-rested Manchester United squad whose team will look suspiciously strong for a club who had to postpone a midweek match.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

While thats true, I've already spent £100 on a night in manchester so I'd rather it didn't

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No, it's only a 7 week gap between the end of this season and the beginning of next season (6 weeks for football league). The first two weeks in June are international window so international sides will still be playing into midweek of w/c 13th June. New season kicks off on 6th August, next season is already going to be absolutely manic with pretty much every midweek utilised for European games or PL games to catch up on the missing weeks.

You sure about that? This season’s league fixtures are currently scheduled to finish on 22nd May. A 7 week gap would mean that the first league weekend of 22/23 is July 10th!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You sure about that? This season’s league fixtures are currently scheduled to finish on 22nd May. A 7 week gap would mean that the first league weekend of 22/23 is July 10th!

Re-read my post, that's the domestic season. The week following is EL/CL finals and then the first two weeks in June are international window so a great number of players will not be available from 22nd May to mid June. Now if there was any common sense the nations league games would be cancelled if necessary and they could finish the season if necessary in that 2 week window at the beginning of June but this is football and that and common sense don't go together.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Re-read my post, that's the domestic season. The week following is EL/CL finals and then the first two weeks in June are international window so a great number of players will not be available from 22nd May to mid June. Now if there was any common sense the nations league games would be cancelled if necessary and they could finish the season if necessary in that 2 week window at the beginning of June but this is football and that and common sense don't go together.

Not very clear that that's what was meant. On that basis last season didn't finish until July 11th.

I'm sure there's plenty of scope to extend the season by a couple of weeks. We only had 6 and 7 weeks break at the beginning of last season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think they will have to find a way of extending.

I can see a situation where matches will be happening on the day of the Champions League final and maybe another round of fixtures midweek after that.

There's an outside chance of matches being scheduled over Nations League matches and a PL v UEFA battle of player availability ensuing.

Every relevant body, as ever will jealously guard it's fixtures (and add more in if possible)

There's an argument to have a global winter shut down. Cancel all fixtures for a month whilst clubs the get bubbles set up. But tell the players this is effectively replacing your summer break which might get shortened to just a few weeks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59650584

Premier League players and club staff will need to take a lateral flow test every day in order to get into training grounds as part of new measures agreed on Tuesday.

In addition to the daily tests to get into training grounds, players and staff will now have a PCR test at least twice a week, which was the case last season, before it was changed to lateral flows in the summer.

Previously players who tested positive with a rapid test then took a PCR test for confirmation of the result.

It is anticipated the measures will be implemented quickly, with additional mask wearing, limiting of physical treatment and social distancing also being advised to reduce the risk of further cases.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To save me trawling through when is the earliest / latest Man Utd or us can call the game off ??

No set procedure for this. Could be called off tomorrow, could be called off on Saturday morning, could still be on. Who knows?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
No set procedure for this. Could be called off tomorrow, could be called off on Saturday morning, could still be on. Who knows?
I was having the same discussion today at work. The game on Saturday must be called off as ManU still have the issue of covid, which is why they called off tonights game. They can't choose what game to call off. the players still have to isolate for 10 days. If the game was to go ahead Saturday they can/shoulld play tonight.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was having the same discussion today at work. The game on Saturday must be called off as ManU still have the issue of covid, which is why they called off tonights game. They can't choose what game to call off. the players still have to isolate for 10 days. If the game was to go ahead Saturday they can/shoulld play tonight.

Yeah that makes complete sense. Which is why the PL hasn’t already called it off! Don’t think anyone is actually expecting the match to be on.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Yet another taking a logical approach to the decisions of the EPL. They never learn. The only factor in all of this is 'how much money is at stake?'

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Because it isn’t about those 4 players.

The Brentford game was called off because the players who tested positive had been in close contact with the whole team as they had travelled on the coach at the weekend.

Man Utd needed some more rounds of testing to see if the virus had spread beyond those 4 players.

If it hasn’t then the game will be on at the weekend regardless of them having 4 players isolating.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

With that logic Spurs v Leicester would be off, but it's not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here