[Albion] Manchester City

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Saturday 02 December 2017 v Liverpool

Brighton 1 Liverpool 5

No way mate.

That Man City side last night were way better. The Liverpool and Chelsea performances that season were of course good, but our perception about that was affected by the fact that that was the first time we'd seen world class players at the Amex

Last night, comfortably the best anyone's ever played against us.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We lost to Man Utd & Liverpool for different tactical reasons, Man Utd moved the ball quickly and took shots from distance whilst Liverpool played balls over the top and used a heavy press all over. Man City seemed to do all of the above and no matter what we tried they closed us off and capitalised on possession.

The sides who have beaten Man City this season have played with width, a strategic press and plenty of balls into the box and had a huge amount of luck. Unfortunately our passing game is something they can outperform us in

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people suggested they (and Liverpool) might be on the beach. turns out we were. they are still up for every game.

boik

I hear all these people saying that we should have got stuck into City, but who are the ultimate "get stuck in" team? Burnley. And how did they do against City. The honest truth is that when City are on their game they make anyone look bad. Your only hope is if they have an off day like they did against Saints. City have been a bit bipolar this season - lost 9 times, but scored a record number of goals. When they're good they're almost unplayable. When they're off, you have a chance. If they cut out those off days they will win the league again. It's almost irrelevant what the opposition do.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We took them on at their own game.
If every team did that, they’d look like that every game.
But Other teams Try and disrupt them, little fouls, packing the defence.

I bet if you asked Pep and Klopp ‘what are your favourite gameS of the season?’, Brighton Away would be high on the list. Nice day out, easy three points.

This is the point. If every lower-division team played higher-placed teams at their own game in cup-ties, there would never be giant-killings.

It's perhaps timely to remember something the late Jack Charlton said: 'I wasn't very good at playing football. But I was very good at stopping other people playing football.' We had no obvious plan for preventing City from doing anything they wanted.

Now if we're happy to be slaughtered by teams who cost much more than ours, fine - let's applaud Potter's decision to stick to his principles in every match. But if ever a game cried out for Dale Stephens' occasionally cynical challenges in midfield, last night was such a game. City themselves are masters of the tactical foul that slows down opponents' counter-attacks, but we seemed unwilling to lower ourselves to their level ...

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Hoping that their Champions League ban is upheld and a few of their stars leave.

Otherwise I feel they will dominate next season; they will want to take the crown back convincingly from Pool.

Chelsea and Man United look like they could also have very decent teams next year, so I’m hoping it will be a more interesting contest at the top.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This is the point. If every lower-division team played higher-placed teams at their own game in cup-ties, there would never be giant-killings.

It's perhaps timely to remember something the late Jack Charlton said: 'I wasn't very good at playing football. But I was very good at stopping other people playing football.' We had no obvious plan for preventing City from doing anything they wanted.

Now if we're happy to be slaughtered by teams who cost much more than ours, fine - let's applaud Potter's decision to stick to his principles in every match. But if ever a game cried out for Dale Stephens' occasionally cynical challenges in midfield, last night was such a game. City themselves are masters of the tactical foul that slows down opponents' counter-attacks, but we seemed unwilling to lower ourselves to their level ...

And there you have it. Superbly put.
I might had, Whatever we’d tried we probably would have lost, because City are very very good. But our tactics last night meant there was no possible outcome other than losing.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
We were out footballed by a team full of very expensive individuals put together by a succession of the best coaches/managers culminating in them employing the very best coach in football. We never had a chance and won't until something is done to level the amount allowed in team building.

I cannot honestly say i enjoyed the spectacle of our last three home games even though we saw some of the very best players in the world. If this is the future, which it obviously is, then they might just as well form a little top tier league for themselves, cannot say i would pay to watch it but there is plenty who would. (still sore about losing to be honest NOT the manner but the inequality)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Yep. Guardiola's sides are absolutely notorious for most fouls committed out of possession per minute. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Potter doesn't strike me as someone who's going to suggest sticking one in on them early to ruffle a few feathers. I'm struggling to remember any time we actually fouled them until Bissouma in the 70th minute and that was borne out of frustration.

Stephens was on about 3 minutes before he had already broken up their play, barged someone to the ground and performed a trademark sliding two footed interceptiion whle on his back that probably had the opposition wondering if they should risk a challenge. A thread full of FFS ANOTHER FREE KICK STUPID STEPHENS would have been absolutely lovely, as we probably would have only lost by two or three and everyone could resume talking about how out of his depth he is.

Instead everyone is talking about Propper and how we can't match Oil FC at at their own game. Who'd have imagined.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Been saying that for ages. We run alongside admiring the skill instead of dumping them on their arse

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yep. Guardiola's sides are absolutely notorious for most fouls committed out of possession per minute. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Potter doesn't strike me as someone who's going to suggest sticking one in on them early to ruffle a few feathers. I'm struggling to remember any time we actually fouled them until Bissouma in the 70th minute and that was borne out of frustration.

Stephens was on about 3 minutes before he had already broken up their play, barged someone to the ground and performed a trademark sliding two footed interceptiion whle on his back that probably had the opposition wondering if they should risk a challenge. A thread full of FFS ANOTHER FREE KICK STUPID STEPHENS would have been absolutely lovely, as we probably would have only lost by two or three and everyone could resume talking about how out of his depth he is.

Instead everyone is talking about Propper and how we can't match Oil FC at at their own game. Who'd have imagined.

All the best sides are dirty cynical and stop others from playing. Years ago the likes of Dalglish a dirty ******* wouldn't think twice about raking his studs down the back of your legs

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One way back performance I remember was a 4-0 home defeat by MASSIVE in 1990. Utterly schooled.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A football match normally relies on two teams showing up. We weren't even there.

Thank god that was behind closed doors as I would have been spitting feathers even more than I am now had I been served up that attitude 'live'.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
All the best sides are dirty cynical and stop others from playing. Years ago the likes of Dalglish a dirty ******* wouldn't think twice about raking his studs down the back of your legs

Funny isn't it, a few weeks back we were the dirtiest team in the Premier League, blud................... according to the Arsenal massive!

:lolol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
City can't win the league, They will end up second. With that in mind, you would expect them to rest their better players a week before an FA Cup semi final. They didn't.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I used to like City, THE club in Manchester, proper team and fans.
Now i cant watch or enjoy them, they are the one team that stinks of unfair funding, I'm sure other teams can be accused, but City seem to be the epitome of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here