Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man U fans smashing up Brighton ?

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I have recently returned from a very pleasant holiday break in Ireland. In the taxi back to Dublin airport I noticed the taxi driver had a Liverpool FC sticker in the back window.

I got talking to him and he eventually asked who I supported. "Brighton" I replied
"That's on the coast " said he - "That's right" said I. Then he said "Brighton - that's where the Man United fans smashed up your town".

I was a bit puzzled and replied "No, I can't remember United causing any trouble" whereupon he got a bit agitated and shouted "Yes they did ! after the season they got relegated, in the seventies ! They rioted in Brighton"

"No, I think you've got that wrong" I foolishly replied whereupon he went very Irish and not wishing to have my face smashed in or my fare increased I let the subject drop.

Can anyone remember Man United causing trouble in town any when ?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Maybe he was saying Mods and his high pitched accent confused you?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You should have said..sorry mate our firm were smashing up Belfast in the 70s so you were out.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I remember Man U playing Bournemouth in the FA Cup a couple of times - don't know if there was trouble. Perhaps he was mixing up his Brightons and his Bournemouths ?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The season after they were relegated they were like the mongol hoardes terrorising the 2nd division towns. The place I clearly remember them making the headlines was Norwich

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
whereupon he went very Irish and not wishing to have my face smashed in or my fare increased I let the subject drop.

Glad to see your "very pleasant holiday break" hasn't helped you overcome racial stereotypes!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Man U fans used to have a pretty poor reputation in the 70s/80s. I recall being in a 50k crowd at Spurs v Man U (as a neutral)around '70 or '71 for an absolute cracker of a game that ended 2-2. United went 0-2 up thru Best and Charlton but Spurs staged a brilliant comeback, after which there was loads of grief outside the ground and on the Tube. But then back then many Clubs had bad boy fans.

I recall being a bit apprehensive at the '83 Cup Final but after the first game was drawn we had a brilliant night in central London with loads of Mancs who were beered up but couldn't have been better, giving us loads of credit for Smith nearly nicking the Cup (shame about the replay).

Man U don't get associated with aggro much these days - maybe its with age and a bit of culture they've developed a taste for prawn sarnies these days, but then most of them are from Guildford or Basildon.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I remember Man U playing Bournemouth in the FA Cup a couple of times - don't know if there was trouble. Perhaps he was mixing up his Brightons and his Bournemouths ?

Very, very possible.

Bsomething, seaside, all the same to most people over here. Been asked what its like having Holloway as a manager before!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here